ROTW ROTW - 'Ol Rusty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Year: March 1975, no factory front disk :frown:
Nick Name : 'Ol Rusty, my son named it. :D
History: From what I can tell the body came from three or more donors, the engine may or may not be the original, it has the oil cooler but I have been told that was an option in 75. Other than that it was pretty much stock whem I bought it.
We purchased it in 1993 for $3000 and kept it pretty much stock until 1997.
In 1997 we had some work done by a local shop:
-Saginaw manual steering conversion
-Front shackle reversal
-ARB lockers F&R
-Confer Aux tank
-Confer rear bench seat
Here is how it looked a couple of years ago
CleanRusty.jpg

But it looked like this more often
MuddyRusty.jpg

For many years it was my daily driver. My commute was from Reno to Carson City. This route took me through Washoe Valley, considered to be the Burmada triangle of weather in N. NV. In winter white outs are common even in good weather because of the high winds and build up of snow in the valley.

A few years ago I hooked up with the local TLCA chapter. Everything changed. :grinpimp:
One trip over Fordyce riding along in another rig and I was hooked.
For the first year I read everything I could find on the internet about modifying an FJ40. A lot of stuff here on Mud, and a lot of stuff on other sites.
Then I started working on the finiance committie, :princess:
A lot of negoation later I started working on the new and improved 'Ol Rusty
The list:
PS conversion by PSC, ( w/ rock ram, not installed)
SOA
HySteer by Pro Comp
Toy Box
Orion t-case
HFS Front bumper
Warn 8274-50 winch
STC (Kayline) Soft top
Metal tech family cage.
Front disk conversion/mini truck knuckle swap
Longfield Birfs and inners.

Over two years and a lot of help from Mud later it was done.

This is me the first time out of the garage
Dsc_0492.jpg

I still grin when I remember it. :lol:

I'm pretty happy with the results. I had never done anything like this before, so I'm sure there are things that will need to be modified. But overall it seems to work well:
Dscn1830.jpg

The first technical trail I will do is Fordyce Creek, the equivelent of jumping in the deep end of the pool after one or two swimming leassons. Hey, I never said I was smart! :rolleyes: But I may have a great spotter along, I'm hoping that will help make up for my lack of skill.

Your bezel is upside....HEY! YOU DON'T HAVE A BEZEL! OMFG! :eek:

J/K I always liked your rig. Good to see it here.

I think I have an extra bezel if you want one. Yours for the cost of shipping...

Are you happy with the soft top? Did it require any permanent bodywork mods (like holes drilled, etc.)?

Your bezel is upside....HEY! YOU DON'T HAVE A BEZEL! OMFG! :eek:

J/K I always liked your rig. Good to see it here.

I think I have an extra bezel if you want one. Yours for the cost of shipping...

Are you happy with the soft top? Did it require any permanent bodywork mods (like holes drilled, etc.)?
I have a bezel, I'm dodging the bezel police.:flipoff2:

Yes you have to drill a couple of holes for the ST. In my rig thats no big deal, the body is pretty well swiss cheese any way. The ability to convert to a Safari top and back in a few minutes is great. The only thing I would do different is keep my hard doors, the full soft doors suck at any highway speed. The ST is loud at highway speeds but so was my Hard top:D . I think the dB level may be a bit lower with the ST though. It is definately less drafty then the old HT.

nice write up, sweet rig!

i love that color green. i was planning a color similar to that for my 40,but i think i'll end up camoing it.

:cheers:

jim

nice write up, sweet rig!

i love that color green. i was planning a color similar to that for my 40,but i think i'll end up camoing it.

:cheers:

jim
You like my $25 paint job huh?

Krylon Hunter green, I painted myself in the garage :hillbilly:

For what I plan to do with this rig and it's current body condition it was the perfect solution to the oxidized $200 Maco paint job it had before.

sweet rig...how do you like the soa?

You like my $25 paint job huh?

Krylon Hunter green, I painted myself in the garage :hillbilly:

For what I plan to do with this rig and it's current body condition it was the perfect solution to the oxidized $200 Maco paint job it had before.

heck yea! aint nothin like a good o'l shake and shoot.
and, you don't have to worry bout scratch'n it :cheers:

Awesome rig. I'll bet she's fun to drive. I dig Krylon hunter green. Parts of my rig are that color. :hillbilly:

How do those two colors match up to Toyota's Rustic Green (621?)

Nice!!!

I didn't see your truck in the parking lot after the last BBC meeting.

My green is seriously fading........

How do those two colors match up to Toyota's Rustic Green (621?)

Nice!!!

I didn't see your truck in the parking lot after the last BBC meeting.

My green is seriously fading........

It blends pretty well, you have to feather it in. I did that on the door frames since I didn't paint the whole interior. If your body is in any kind of shape I wouldn't recomend the krylon route, my whole tub is a waste of time. I'll bring it to the next meeting. You didn't see it last time because I drove our new/used 100.

You did a great job on Rusty....:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom