ConFerr?? FJ40 Rear Tire Carrier w/ 2 Jerry Can Holders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure, but I **think** this FJ40 spare tire carrier with 2 jerry can holders was made by ConFerr. If someone can tell me otherwise, I'd appreciate the info...

Parts included in sale:
- 2 stock (early) FJ40 hinges
- square tube frame
- 1 stock FJ40 tire holder (3 studs w/ lug nut + 1 lockable stud)
- 2 jerry can holders (no straps)
- 1 stock FJ40 latch mechanism
- 1 stock FJ40 adjustable bumper stop
- 1 license plate holder
- HFS license frame
- all required bolt hardware

Recent refurbishment:
- sanded it all down to bare metal
- zinc self-etch primed
- applied one top coat of satin black (Rustoleum Industrial coating)
- replaced ALL of the bolt/washer/nut hardware (~$50 worth) with new stainless or Grade 5 or Grade 8 depending on bolt use/location

What does it need?
- final top coat of paint
- re-tack weld 2 of the 3 studs that hold the spare tire (to keep the stud from spinning)
- touch-up on one of the welds (center tube section non-load bearing)

Why am I selling? I'm replacing my tub w/ an Aqualu tub and they recommended that I do not hang my 33"x12.5" spare tire along with a couple of full jerry cans off the back of an aluminum body panel. So I will be converting to a chassis mount spare tire carrier. Willing to trade towards a chassis mount tire carrier.

PRICE: $250 OBO **ADDITIONAL CHARGE FOR SHIPPING** Tire carrier can be seen in Charlotte, NC area. Note: NO jerry cans included with sale.

Send emails with questions to drewporta@lycos.com
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes, but only as a tire carrier. The "extra weight" over and above the stock FJ tire carrier is what is added only when metal jerry cans full of fluids (gas, diesel or water) are inside the cans.

To your point, the entire weight only hangs off the left rear fender when the carrier is fully opened. Based on my usage, this a small % of the time you are parked on the trail accessing the rear of the FJ40 or unloading your gear.

Note that in pic #4 the total weight is also distributed to the passenger side fender via the bracket/latch that the carrier rests on when closed.

For a steel panel, this isn't an issue...as long as the steel panel is solid and not rusted out. But, Aqualu doesn't suggest it for an aluminum panel and (at $5K+ for my new tub), I'm inclined to take their advice.

I do not think that is a ConFerr product. Looks homemade. The Conferr full length tire carrier was obsoleted a Looooooooong time ago, and used their clamp-style can holders, not the baskets in your pic.

It still looks a hella lot better than the one Kayline used to sell.:rolleyes:

Hth

Mark A.

Thanks Mark for the insights. Most everything the PO put on this FJ40 is either ConFerr or Man-A-Fre, so I presumed it was CF since MAF doesn't sell anything like it...

Thanks BadA$$ for the post. Yes, it's a nice carrier and I hate to sell it...if I were going Heritage steel tub I'd keep it.

Guys, this is cheap for a tire carrier w/ 2 jerry can holders. On top of that it uses stock hinges and latches...plus I've already re-painted it and installed new hardware!

I'm Interested

PM'd you

Pay pal?

Send me your paypal and it's done. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom