Slee 6" springs are in...impressions and question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GXO

GXO
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
gxor.org
I ordered Slee 6" (heavy rears) a bit back and got them on before I went out on a little expedition run with the Upstate Cruisers.

The install was simple since I had J springs with spacers up front, Gen1 Slee control arms, adjustable panhards, etc. I literally dropped them in within 45 minutes.

Impressions On-road:

If you run your rig with gear in the rear and J springs you need to go to Slee springs (4 or 6 as your application requires). The handling improvement is INCREDIBLE. I was running down the highway and didn't feel like I was going to dump the truck when I took a corner at speed. I had about 200# of tools and gear in the rear with about 200# more in camping gear and such. I also have the liner coating so that adds several hundred more pounds.

Impressions Off-road:
WOW! The weight handling was a much appreciated change. I could dive off 4+ foot drops and maintain 4 wheel contact, no problem. Several times I had to get out and look with amazement as I went places I used to have severe body lean and wheel stands and was firmly planted on all fours and could even bounce in my seat and not feel any shake...just awesome.

Question (may be suited for those with these springs, or slee if you see this):

I am a bit stinkbug right now. I am not sure how much the rear will settle but I was curious to see if I could put my billet spacers back in up front and bring everything up to level. I could do this in a few minutes and want to see what you all recommend before I sell them off.

Here is a pic of the rig...the rig in the back has Js with no spacers and 33s. I have the 6" and 35s.
Cullawhee2-23021.jpg

Man I want the 6" lift so bad. I just wish I could convince the wife. Truck looks awesome like that. And listening to your review just convinces me even more that my rig should have these. Question did you get the standard heavy 6" springs or were they spun up special. Reason I ask is that I know another member on here who had his spun up special for his rig due to how much weight he often carriers and this was something I too would probably have to do to accomodate the amount of weight my rig goes.

I ordered the heavy rears, normal fronts. I am thinking the spacers are going back in up front due to the weight.

i put new slee 4" in my front (js in back) this past nov. I too love the way they they handle-much more solid as speed. if you are stinkbugging now it likely will get worse as the springs settle. My truck was level when I put the 4" springs in the front but has a slight stinkbug now. But I don't mind it-its kinda like the truck is trying to correct its own castor.

I ordered the heavy rears, normal fronts. I am thinking the spacers are going back in up front due to the weight.

The heavy rears is probably it. I think you need more weight in the back ;)

I have the normal rears and have recently put 20mm of spacers in the back since when loaded my truck sagged. Unloaded I now have the stinkbug which is good. After the spacers I haven't had the truck loaded so I'm not sure it it will be level or sagging in the rear after I'm all loaded up.

The heavy rears is probably it. I think you need more weight in the back ;)

I have the normal rears and have recently put 20mm of spacers in the back since when loaded my truck sagged. Unloaded I now have the stinkbug which is good. After the spacers I haven't had the truck loaded so I'm not sure it it will be level or sagging in the rear after I'm all loaded up.

I agree with Darwood.
You're just not carrying enough gear ;)

I prefer the stink bug look because I know that when my rig is loaded down with gear for trips, it'll sit level, rather than sag under the added load.

Just throw a set of drawers with all your tools and trail spares and a fridge...that should fix your stinkbug stance ;p

can you pull the front springs out, clean them up and exchange them for heavy fronts from slee? You only have had them in for one trip, right?

can you pull the front springs out, clean them up and exchange them for heavy fronts from slee? You only have had them in for one trip, right?

Last I looked Slee only had one setting for the front springs in 6".

I am leaving everything as is. If the front settle at all beyond where they are I will update to a 1" or 1.5" spacer, as required.

Dan,

I dont think my slee springs have settled at all. I think i had one of the first sets.... I actually have run a two inch spacer up front on and Off. I am def stink bug without the spacers but even steven with the spacers. I am also really really tall with the spacers but fee much more stable without. I partially regret going heavies rear. My rear bumper is super light. Even when i am loaded up with gear, cooler ect, i have a hard time believing i am in the 400-600 pound range.

what did you do for rear bump stops? curious what if any rubbing you will have with your new 37's. I do have some rubbing up front without the front spacer none with. Rears have some rubbing but its frame and wheel well stuff thats not going away easily.

Congrats on the purchase! like the direction your rig is going. you must have gotten a raise or something!

Bonus actually, wish I made this much regularly! Best part is I didn't buy anything until I was completely out of debt first :)

I actually ran relatively level on the trail with my cooler and gear in there, I am thinking I will leave it as is. I don't see a problem getting rid of the heavies in the future if I want to go to the mediums.

The 37s, longs, and snorkel will finish off the rig so I am pretty stoked.

You win! :)

I actually load mine down like that when I go out for long trips, but also wheel a couple hours away. I am thinking that it is a wash and I am running as is for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom