Just got an 80 and joined the Forum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hoping the heaps of knowledge here will help me get the best of the 80 I just bought. Mine is a 1992 with 145k miles. Too many miles I know, but was a one owner car. Cosmetics isn't the best and the radio was stolen but has a diff-lock and it cost me $5k. So I am hoping it wasn't a mistake buying it. The guys at Dirty Parts in Culver City, CA assured me that these cars are hardly ever junk. After a full checkup, they said it will need about 2k worth of work in parts and labor (gaskets, brakes, U joints and the like) to ensure longeivity hereon. So, now the vehicle will cost me a total of $7k but maybe a good idea to do it now and not worry for the next 100k miles. My last off-roader was a Range Rover 4.6 HSE and that has given me enough trouble once over 50k miles, never again. Hopefully I can get this vehicle muddy in remote places without worrying about getting back to civilization unlike the RR which had stranded me a few times. I am hoping to enjoy it at least for a year and recoup the $7k. Should I worry about part costs and longeivity for the 1992 year model? Any words of assurance about the LCs repute of reliability in offroad use will be highly appreciated. Thanks all.

Welcome :flipoff2:. I to changed from a Range Rover to a Landcruiser. You will not regret your choice. That many miles will not be a problem if it has had regular oil changes.

Welcome!
I've had my '92 for about 3 months now. I've got 180,000 on the clock, and have run the heck out of it. I just spent 2000+ on the 80 to get it up to reliable dd duties.

I love it! Yours is just broken in with those few miles. :D

Welcome....:flipoff2:.

Last year I bought a 95 with 180k miles on it. I have driven the heck out of it with no issues...(knock on wood). It is a joy to drive offroad.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I feel at home here with avid offroaders and LC fans. I do need to learn to work on the vehicle myself to ease the financial pain the RR has left me with.
Vitesse_6, you bet I will avoid Rovers like a plague for the rest of my days but still love roving the remote corners :) avOidrover would have been more appropriate, I agree. Was my chance to get even!!!

Last edited:
..............I am hoping to enjoy it at least for a year and recoup the $7k.............

Hoping to enjoy it for a year and recoup? Did I just read that?!!

You WILL enjoy it for however long you own it! Don't worry about the $7k. Once you have driven it a couple more times, you will rethink your position. The thought of the $7k will float away, along with any thoughts of reselling after a year, once you realize that you are now driving one of the finest vehicles ever made. You might eventually trade-in what you have, but that would only be for another Land Cruiser.

Hoping to enjoy it for a year and recoup? Did I just read that?!!

You WILL enjoy it for however long you own it! Don't worry about the $7k. Once you have driven it a couple more times, you will rethink your position. The thought of the $7k will float away, along with any thoughts of reselling after a year, once you realize that you are now driving one of the finest vehicles ever made. You might eventually trade-in what you have, but that would only be for another Land Cruiser.

Thank you, that is reassuring since you say these with such certainty. I cant think of any other vehicle brand that can boast of such high praise and loyalty from their consumers. My skepticism compelled me to write about the sell in a year as I am not sure what to expect of the miles and the age of the vehicle. New to LC. But I have a feeling I am going to enjoy the experience of ownership.

145k miles on a 92... pfft that engine is just broken in. :)
Cheers,
Sean

Im with you.... just bought a 91 with 157K miles. You never know what you are getting into when you buy a used car with over 100K miles, but as others have said, these LCs can run forever.

Welcome to the bright side..! :D

:flipoff2: Welcome!

With only 145k miles, you're on the low end of the mileage with 80 owners on mud....I've got 173k and counting.

sj

welcome aboard :flipoff2:

Welcome to your West Side Cruiser and see you on the 10 :D

:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom