Change Brake Fluid? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a dilemma...I went by the dealer last week to get an estimate on my 60k service. I definitely plan on changing the following:

Oil/Filter (both Mobil 1)
Diffs/Trans case (Mobil 1)
Coolant (not using SLLC, since it will be drained with the t-belt change at 100k)
Front pads (rear replaced last year when my Revos were added)

Here's my problem...In addition to these items, I asked about replacing the brake fluid and repacking the bearings, since that seems to be the consensus after doing some searches. The service writer told me "...if the brake fluid still looks clear, there's no need..." and "the wheels don't need to be repacked until 100K". I'm not sure if I should be happy that he's not trying to take advantage of me or if I should be concerned that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I've got a dilemma...I went by the dealer last week to get an estimate on my 60k service. I definitely plan on changing the following:

Oil/Filter (both Mobil 1)
Diffs/Trans case (Mobil 1)
Coolant (not using SLLC, since it will be drained with the t-belt change at 100k)
Front pads (rear replaced last year when my Revos were added)

Here's my problem...In addition to these items, I asked about replacing the brake fluid and repacking the bearings, since that seems to be the consensus after doing some searches. The service writer told me "...if the brake fluid still looks clear, there's no need..." and "the wheels don't need to be repacked until 100K". I'm not sure if I should be happy that he's not trying to take advantage of me or if I should be concerned that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Like you, I also used the LLC since it will be drained at 90K. At 90K, I definitely want to use the SLLC since dealerships otherwise use tap water. You gotta make it as easy as possible for the techs so it doesn't get bungled up.

He doesn't know what he's talking about. The brake fluid could have water in it and still look clear. In AZ, the heat will turn the fluid tan almost immediately, but it's still good, while in cool & humid LA, the fluid will stay clear pretty much indefinitely unless your brake system is already rusting internally.

As far as the bearings go, the ones in my '86 4runner didn't get repacked until '00 at 102K mi. They were pretty loose, but until then, the rig was never wheeled by the PO (family member). The bearings will get looser over time. If you drive on dry roads, I think you can go 60K before repacking, but 100K is pushing it. The Koyo bearings are very good. Those original bearings are still going, and that's after no repack for 14 yrs/100K mi, then a repack at 140K and 180K. I'm runnin 40K repack intervals on that vehicle. Since my LX is under warranty until 100K, I had the Toyota dealer do mine along w/ the ATF exchange so I have the receipts to prove it was done. For the fluid changes, I just keep the receipts for the parts from CDan and receipts for fluid purchases. You shouldn't need much more than that to show the work was done. What do they want, video of you doing the work?!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom