Free vehicle history check - similar to Carfax (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
- To those who may be interested, find out your vehicle history!!

Copy and paste the url... in stead of xxx's type in the vin number!!

-http://fostermotors.earthcars.net/cgi-bin/autocheck.cgi?dealerid=koonscollegeparkford&vin=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:beer:

Pretty slick and actually this seems to be more comprehensive than Carfax! Compared 3 Carfax reports I've run to this and the "autocheck" had more details and info!

GREAT post and maybe Sticky worthy?

Thanks BOZ_10! Thats awesome!

Thanks, had all the info that I paid carfax for. :(

thanks man!

Boz_10 :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:.....

Works great.....thanks a million.

I also think this is sticky worthy.......

No problem fellas!!

A buddy of mine found this so I decided to share!! Hopefully it stays valid for a while!!

i checked this out on a vechicle i know had been wrecked twice, and it didnt show that it had been wrecked. im not sure why but the person who wrecked it did not get a ticket on either occasion. Maybe thats why it doesnt show up. thought i would let everyone know.

How long this link going last? It looks like the account is owned by dealership, so maybe for along time. :)

I kind of feel guilty and feel bad for autocheck. :)

i checked this out on a vechicle i know had been wrecked twice, and it didnt show that it had been wrecked. im not sure why but the person who wrecked it did not get a ticket on either occasion. Maybe thats why it doesnt show up. thought i would let everyone know.

I'm not sure what the 'criteria' is for reporting accidents etc. either with any of the services out there that supposedly "check" for that stuff. I know on one of the vehicles I ran both a Carfax report and this latest deal on, NEITHER had information on two repairs/damage that I think should be in there.

One was when I hit a deer - no ticket of course but I did report this to my insurance and it was repaired at a 'reputable' repair facility. The other damage was from some vandals :mad: that dented up a tailgate and busted out a window. Again no ticket but it was reported to the police and my insurance and again the repair was made at a reputable repair facility.

Also, on another vehicle I did a Carfax check on it and the report came back completely clean while with this new deal the report came back with a possible odometer roll back warning :confused: . The warning was for all of 5K miles over a 6 week period so this was most likely clerical error during entry somewhere along the line but you never know.

I guess what this all means is that you can only infer so much from these reports and you can NOT rely on them to be the complete record of a car's history :frown:.

Last edited:
How long this link going last? It looks like the account is owned by dealership, so maybe for along time. :)

I kind of feel guilty and feel bad for autocheck. :)

Hmmm...good point. I really didn't pay any attention to the URL. But given what some people are finding along with I have discovered I'm not sure these types of services are all that 'valuable' for anything other than big 'gotchas' that are reported (i.e. salvage, major accidents, etc)...But if these things aren't getting reported then :frown:

Generally, these types of services check public records and what has to be reported and what info the states give out varies widely by state.

Generally, most states require that you fill out an accident report and send it to the DMV. Sometimes the carfax type services will pick these up depending on state. Also, if the Police do a report, that usually goes to DMV and that might show up. I don't think you see minor fender benders reported very often. Even if insurance is involved.

The most common things to show up are when the vehicle is totaled. If it was totalled, it should show up in the carfax report. But a newer vehicle can sustain a lot of damage and still get repaired without being totalled and there's a good chance it may never show up on the carfax. Especially when you're dealing with a $50,000 Land Cruiser. I know they say these things are expensive to repair, but they ain't Porsche expensive. So I'd bet a lot of them were repaired and the accidents will never show up in carfax.

I was looking at a lot of carfaxes before I bought my 80 and it was really interesting how much the information varied by state. Sometimes you'd even get info as to when the vehicle was serviced, so carfax must have access to some dealer/manufacture databases as well. Sometimes even fender benders would show up, like with Florida vehicles. But most often, only the major stuff like totalled, reconstructed title, if anything at all.

This service is still neat to have. I found a couple of odometer roll backs, scams and serious wrecked vehicles being advertised as something else. Some joker dealership is advertising a cherry FJ40 with 80K miles for some serious cash, but the carfax shows it has 180,000 miles!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom