Tie rod help - (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tucker74

Threads
So I did a birf job on my 40 this weekend and everything went great, until I got to what I thought would be the easy part. I bought a set of new "555" tie rod ends and everything just doesn't seem right. The cross-link ends (large dia) more or less just fell into my steering arms, if I tighten them down the cotter pins don't stab the nuts ... but if not they are loose? The ones I pulled seemed really seated, so I don't know what to think here. Secondly, the relay rod end will not seat into the cast piece in the cross link ... any trick to getting this seated. I buggered up two nuts trying to pull this in, but only have about 2 threads showing.

I should note I swapped knuckles to large pattern knuckles/steering arms during this project (don't know if that makes a difference or not). Tie rod kit is supposedly fits '69-'83 ...

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Tucker

The hole in the later (big bolt )arms is bigger than the earlier (small bolt)arms. I think S.O.R. sells a bushing kit that will work. If not you will need new rod ends and if thats the case get the heavy duty stuff. Luke at 4x4labs has them and a few others if you want to look around.

Stock tie rods are not the best. If you're replacing them you might as well go for the beefer ones...

Late,

UNO.

what's wrong w/stock 40 TREs?

I know larger stuff is available, but if your not high-steer...keep the stock stuff.

I had a simular issue and found that I installed them in the incorrect spot. I stared and pondered a bit as each new one had a twin used.

Best,

SW

all 40 TREs are the same.... if the holes are too large, the arms are from a 60...

The hole in the later (big bolt )arms is bigger than the earlier (small bolt)arms. I think S.O.R. sells a bushing kit that will work. If not you will need new rod ends and if thats the case get the heavy duty stuff. Luke at 4x4labs has them and a few others if you want to look around.

Any info on these spacers? I see one for their hi-steer arms to make them fit 40/45/55s ... these them?

Stock tie rods are not the best. If you're replacing them you might as well go for the beefer ones...

Late,

UNO.
A little late for that.
I had a simular issue and found that I installed them in the incorrect spot. I stared and pondered a bit as each new one had a twin used.

Best,

SW
The two ends on the cross link are the only ones with the large dia to work here, can't be wrong. I tried others in the cast piece as well ...
all 40 TREs are the same.... if the holes are too large, the arms are from a 60...
Could be, don't remember if they came from a late 40, 60 or mini :frown: How do I fix it?

Tucker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom