Bicycle Birfield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I'm redoing the knuckles, bearings, seals etc this weekend (seems to be a trend on the forum). At any rate I thought I would share an improvised method to split the inner and outer axle. The FSM calls for a vice. I do not have one. The threads recommend a 1.5" pipe.... I could not easily find one of those either. Not to be discouraged I tried using the work stand I use for bicycle repair. It has a nice clamp that can be rotated 360 degrees, a perfect fit for the axle. A few hard hits (about 10) with a brass drift and a 10 pound hammer and "pop" off it came. I used a cardboard box to break the fall.

BTW, I have a new appreciation for when folks say this job is "messy". That is an understatement.
birfield_small.jpg
race_small.jpg
result_small.jpg

Hey all,

I'm redoing the knuckles, bearings, seals etc this weekend (seems to be a trend on the forum). At any rate I thought I would share an improvised method to split the inner and outer axle. The FSM calls for a vice. I do not have one. The threads recommend a 1.5" pipe.... I could not easily find one of those either. Not to be discouraged I tried using the work stand I use for bicycle repair. It has a nice clamp that can be rotated 360 degrees, a perfect fit for the axle. A few hard hits (about 10) with a brass drift and a 10 pound hammer and "pop" off it came. I used a cardboard box to break the fall.

BTW, I have a new appreciation for when folks say this job is "messy". That is an understatement.
Nothin' but jungle out there

Pipe trick works 1st time everytime. At least for me it has. Just get some of the plumbing pipe at home depot.

Yeah I would have liked to do the pipe trick, but nearest hardware store is 30 miles away (paradise != convenience). I'll be picking one up for the next time around.

The knuckle job is now complete everything seems to have gone smooth..... onto the next task (transfer case). Hmmm come to think of it, I may just use the pipe to beat the x-fer case into submission.

Aloha!

Congratulations man. I'm in the middle of my rebuild, yes messy is an understatement.

It was a mess but a good all around experience (I'm pretty much a newbie so it was fun to learn). The only snags I ran into were:

1. Had to undo the brake lines. 89 FSM shows 3 bolts to undo the bracket but that was not to be (rivets instead).

2. Found that one of my Aisin hub locks was buggered up, so I had to rebuild it to replace the spring.

Other than that my only other observation was that 1989 was probably the last time anyone was in there. Some of the bolts were so gumped I couldn't get a wrench on em' without cleaning first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom