engine rebuild! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok so im starting to rebuild my cruiser engine. this is the first time I have ever rebuilt an engine, so I'm unsure where some gaskets go and if I should balance the pistions or not. I didnt mark them when I pulled them out of the engine and I just put them back in, so should I pull them back out and balance them? here are some pics of the engine and a rubber thing that I dont know where it goes I didnt pull any of the engine when I took it apart.
IMG_0748.JPG
IMG_0755.JPG
IMG_0750.JPG

Looks like a valve stem cover.

ok so im starting to rebuild my cruiser engine. this is the first time I have ever rebuilt an engine, so I'm unsure where some gaskets go and if I should balance the pistions or not. I didnt mark them when I pulled them out of the engine and I just put them back in, so should I pull them back out and balance them?

Rebuild?

What internal engine components have you replaced?

That black piece is a F engine valve stem seal....

A better valve stem seal is available... that black turd is just a umbrella...

ok I had the vallve stem seals replaced when I had the head worked on. I have replaced the pistion rings and the conn. rod bearings and all the pumps and all the gaskets. so should I pull the pistions out and balance them before I put the rest of the motor back together? I have a few more pics to post too.

Given that the pistons are probably close enough, the rods are the next culprit.
I think there is merit in balancing. Mark W or Mark A have said that many times they have to cull through a bunch of con rods to get 6 that are even close enough to balance. The pistons? well they were no doubt made in the last couple of years so tolerances are probably tighter. Dunno.

GL
Ed

I know I have commented on the rods. Wouldn't be surprised if Mark W. had commented on them as well A scale is a scale, and a Toyota rod is ...........oh well, you know!;p

heres a two mor pics! :bounce:
IMG_0763.JPG
IMG_0764.JPG

Unless you are going for an absolute restoration, I would ditch the metal fan for a 6-blade nylon fan. It will bolt right up(with a spacer) and is compatible with your shroud.

Ed

is that engine bending the stand? looks precarious.

nice work! looks exciting.

just to help make your project longer, i would also suggest balancing the pistons and rods. i was suprised at how much of a difference balancing a motor will make. runs EXTRA smooth.

I aggree with DGNOL.....the newer fans are a lot quieter for sure! Definately worth the swap. The block looks great!

If you're open to suggestions, keep on reading....

Just my .02.....I would, after its all back together, prior to cranking it up:
Make sure there is oil in the pan for this next step...and the valve cover is off.

Cut the handle off of one of your old big flat-blade screwdrivers. Put the screwdriver bit into an electric drill. After you pull out the Distributor, put that flat blade onto the oil pump slot, then drill away on the oil pump. Clockwise direction! This will manually force oil thru all of the channels and into the bearing races prior to cranking. Even though you probably used assembly grease, it ensures you that you've got adequate lubrication throughout. You may want to have a partner turn the crank intermittently...but stop drilling when the crank is being turned.

You'll know you've got a good oil flow out of the top of the rockers.

I've done this on the F motor that I built/balanced, so I'm not blowing smoke at ya! This sure does help make your motor last longer, and especially after spending all of that time and $$$$ on your refreshed motor its well worth the 5 minutes!

You'll notice a much quieter intital startup and better ring-seating!

Ya man! You got yourself one of them there FAN BLADES of DEATH!

Listen to Degnol, he probably saved my life with this tidbit of information! :grinpimp: Do a search and you will see why this is really NOT a joke....

Can someone find that pic of the fan blade sticking through the hood of a '40?
They rust where the two blades overlap.......like where you can't see it.:eek:
Cuisinart fan blade;)

Ed

Can someone find that pic of the fan blade sticking through the hood of a '40?
They rust where the two blades overlap.......like where you can't see it.:eek:
Cuisinart fan blade;)

Ed

Ed kindly gave me one of his red metal fan blades. You can tell how fond he is of me: I'm like one of his sons!

Ed kindly gave me one of his red metal fan blades. You can tell how fond he is of me: I'm like one of his sons!

First off, Son, I checked that fan very closely and ran it myself. You're the one that wants original equipment;)
What fan exactly do you run on your 40 and 45?????:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Ed:bounce:

First off, Son, I checked that fan very closely and ran it myself. You're the one that wants original equipment;)
What fan exactly do you run on your 40 and 45?????:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Ed:bounce:

Well, on the 40 I run a replacement steel fan, since the last one blew through the radiator. (It only dented the hood, though: must be that older, better steel they used on the early trucks) :D

is that engine bending the stand? looks precarious.

Too many people do this. Not many regular engine stands will hold up a F/2F.
If dropped on the balancer you will never get it to seal oil in. The metal plate behind the gears will bend.
-Duane

ok I had the vallve stem seals replaced when I had the head worked on. I have replaced the pistion rings and the conn. rod bearings and all the pumps and all the gaskets. so should I pull the pistions out and balance them before I put the rest of the motor back together? I have a few more pics to post too.
Just wanted to comment on balancing. The straight 6 crank balances by itself. What I mean by this is that the weight of the pistons and rods, (based on the idea that they these components weigh the same), does not matter to the balance.

Crank balances alone. (need balancing machine)
Big end of the rods to the same weight. (can do at home with gram scales)
Small end of the rods to the same weight. (can do at home with gram scales)
Pistons, pins and rings all the same weight. (can do at home with gram scales)

This is as good as it gets.

: John

Just wanted to comment on balancing. The straight 6 crank balances by itself. What I mean by this is that the weight of the pistons and rods, (based on the idea that they these components weigh the same), does not matter to the balance.

Crank balances alone. (need balancing machine)
Big end of the rods to the same weight. (can do at home with gram scales)
Small end of the rods to the same weight. (can do at home with gram scales)
Pistons, pins and rings all the same weight. (can do at home with gram scales)

This is as good as it gets.

The V8's some of us are running are not as friendly to balance. You change pistons and you are out of balance.

One up for the Sixes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom