clocking a stock xfercase... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
sup fellas,

not really sure whether i should have put this in chat, the 40 forum, or here...so i picked here, ha ha.

just reading through a bunch of build threads and seeing all the different xcases that people clock to get a flatter belly and i thought to myself, 'i've never seen a stock case clocked'.

so this is my question, purely out of an inquisitive nature,

has anybody ever clocked a stock toyota case?

thanks,

malphrus

I "clocked" my entire drivtrain to get a stock skid to fit with my t-case lowering sm420 setup. I just put some metal donuts under the rear engine mounts to raise it up a little. 3/8" or 1/2" plate i think? which equates to more at the t-case.

could you clock a stock case? with a clocking ring?

i think you could with a one piece case, but remember to change the spacers on the trans output shaft so the t-case input will still line up.
hth, carl

i think you could with a one piece case, but remember to change the spacers on the trans output shaft so the t-case input will still line up.
hth, carl

ahh, i forgot abt the whole 'split'-case thing...oh well, ha ha

i was just wondering why nobody did it, i guess it just boils down to bein a waste of time/money

malphrus

bustanutley did you raise both rear mounts or rotate the motor around the axis of the crankshaft. I'm thinking about rotating by lowering the mounts on the drivers side and raising the ones on the pass side. I'm guessing about a half an inch on either side. I have a sm40 with a plate adapter in my 72 and am trying to get the stock cross member back on for now and will make a really tough one when I get a chance.
Any thoughts.

I raised both rear mounts. you'll have to rotate both the front and rear mounts to that side, sounds like a good idea.

i was just wondering why nobody did it, i guess it just boils down to bein a waste of time/money

Not really because of a waste of time and money, but more so, because of how the stock one piece case and split case are mounted to the rear of the transmission. The one-piece case is secured by five bolts that thread into the transmission; You would need an adapter of 1” at least to provide similar mounting as the transmission, and then you would be putting the transfer case rearward, which would no only change your drive shaft lengths, but would also create the problem of securing the transmission output shaft that passes all the way through the transfer case. This is not even taking into account the range and front drive linkage issues that would need to be addressed somehow.

The split case would provide a similar handicap.

These transfer cases are not anything like the Dana 300/NP231/241 variants that have a circular mounting flange and a female splined input shaft that would slip over the transmission output shaft. These cases permit the rotating of the transfer case up or down on the mounting flange. While the input shaft design of the mini truck transfer case is similar, the mounting of these is different, but far more conducive to a clocking adapter, as there are a couple companies out there that are providing an adapter that accomplishes this. There is not the same freedom with the mini case as there is with the Dana and New process cases, again, because of the design of the mounting surface of the mini case, but you can gain a little bit with them.

:beer:

It seems that if you were running an sm420/265 plate adapter you could just rotate the tcase up and redrill the holes. You could just put set screws with locktite in the holes so you don't leak.
With the sm420 you would have to go enough to clear reverse hump in the tranny.

It seems that if you were running an sm420/265 plate adapter you could just rotate the tcase up and redrill the holes. You could just put set screws with locktite in the holes so you don't leak.
With the sm420 you would have to go enough to clear reverse hump in the tranny.

Front output on the tcase would hit the reverse gear hump on the side of the 420, not sure about the 465.

So, there is no problem in clocking the whole drive line say an inch? I am swapping frames in 3 weeks and that would be the perfect time to give it a go.

thanks,
-Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom