Hydraulic Winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed in the recent "What winch" thread that a few of you are running hydraulics. Are you using the power steering pumps or an additional pump? If you are using additional pumps, which ones? I have also noticed the pump with a clutch on the Northern Tools site, anyone actually running one of these?

Thanks

Ian

MM 10,500 with stock PS Pump. I was toying with the idea of a dedicated pump but am torn between that and an OBA system. I don't even know if I will have room for either with the turbo I will be installing this spring. If I were to do the separate pump I would start with buying the OBA bracket and water pump pully from Chritso Slee and fabbing the pump with clutch as on Northern Tools. I would contact MM and ask them if the PSI and GPM of any pump you decide to use is compatible. Consider a small tank for holding additonal fluid as well as an in-line cooler on the low pressure return feed.

Thanks for the reply. My main issue is going to be the fact mine is an HDJ80 which has a 1HD-FT engine. I am not sure, but assume all the ancillarys are mounted differently than on a 1FZ-FE. I will email Christo and check.

Rick will know better, but I did contact MM and they basically said that one should count on something like 30% less than winch nominal specs with the OEM 80 pump.
So a 12K with OEM pump would be something like a 9K.

Still, I like the idea of a hydraulic winch (if 2 speeds)...

I'm dieing to say it...

I know you changed from Mile Marker, was it electric or hydraulic? What was the problem? I also know that by his own admission e9999 does not use the winch. Am I missing something else?

P.S. I really like your portal build, wish I had the fabrication skills to take on a job like that.

snip

I also know that by his own admission e9999 does not use the winch.

snip

haven't yet, but surely will sooner or later.
Got a deal too good to pass on the electric M12, but I was seriously considering hydraulic. These things are not cheap, though, after you take all the plumbing into account. I would definitely only go 2 speeds, though.

Sorry Guys, I'm lost here. Please explain to the newbie . . . .

I actually got my hydraulic in for less than a warn 12k and that didn't include a dual battery setup.

There is also a weight savings with hydraulic and they are a little more synthetic rope friendly I think.

I've used mine and it got the job done. But when I did I got a slow comment from one of the other guys. This was after he had spent an hour and a half dicking around with this 4Runner that was stuck on the hill. I guess those few extra minutes for me to pull him out really screwed the day.

On another note when I first started to puill this guy out the Land Cruiser was getting dragged by the winch.

Oh I see now. Thanks for the explaination.

and that would be, "portals suck and no one would buy my truck"?

Is this just a dig or have there been problems with the portal conversion?

Oh I see now. Thanks for the explaination.

Is this just a dig or have there been problems with the portal conversion?

Just a dig as far as I'm concerned. He's the only one that has them or at least the only one on here I think. There is a thread out there that documents his install. It's a good read even if they aren't on your list or within your abilities.

so, since this is Volvo stuff, does that make it an East Coast soccer mom truck? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom