Compare Rig of Mortis' monster BJ60 with my stock BJ60... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I feel so inadequate now...:crybaby:

Today I met one of our members (Rig of Mortis). Really nice guy and his BJ60 is even more monstrous looking in real life! For fun, we put our trucks side by side. Compare his with about 8" of lift and (I think) 38" tires. My BJ60 has stock, and slightly saggy suspension with 30" tires looks so small in comparison! (But mine's faster with the smaller tires, so there, that makes up for it)! :D

compare1.jpg

compare2.jpg

compare3.jpg

compare4.jpg

compare6.jpg

Last edited:
Man there is just something different about those two rigs, just cant...quite...place it. ;p Seriously though, I do dig the snorkel. But there is nothing wrong with a stock cruiser. Mine was stock until just a few days ago. Still a Cruiser all the same.

(P.S. Kind of weird that all 3 replys so far are only about 20 miles apart from each other.)

That is :cool: I love the look of the lifted cruiser.

Being relatively new to the FJ62 I have a question??

I have an 89 and recently put 33's on it with a stock suspension.

I noticed (I think) a little more unstable feeling on the corners but still feels very safe at reasonable speeds and off road:cheers:

I've been wheeling on and off since I was a teen, I'm 50 now. I don't expect it to handle like a Porsche, but how stable and safe is the rig with 8" and 37-38's in off camber and say rock climbing situations?

Just curious thats all. I have no doubt that is a bad ass rig!:cheers:

Handling

That is :cool: I love the look of the lifted cruiser.

Being relatively new to the FJ62 I have a question??

I have an 89 and recently put 33's on it with a stock suspension.

I noticed (I think) a little more unstable feeling on the corners but still feels very safe at reasonable speeds and off road:cheers:

I've been wheeling on and off since I was a teen, I'm 50 now. I don't expect it to handle like a Porsche, but how stable and safe is the rig with 8" and 37-38's in off camber and say rock climbing situations?

Just curious thats all. I have no doubt that is a bad ass rig!

:cheers:

First both rigs are nice..Rig-o's might go a little further before the rockers start hitting..

On the 33' tire deal..My 60 with 33x9.5/15s will dive into turns (over steer I think this is called) unless, i run the air pressure up to 38-40 psi. It will still dive but not as bad at slow speeds. My OME lift did little to help, even with the firmest OME shocks. I hope that 10.5s will help and maybe I'll go with 8" rims..though I plan on staying stock for a while in the wheel catagory..Like you say road handling is not gonna impress anyone with a fj60, no matter what you do.

Pump the air up and see if that helps.

If your running 33x9.5's in the city please bump your psi up to 50 , they are too unstable other wise , you can dump air to go wheeling , the ride will be a little rougher , but you will definatley get better milage and less diving around corners .

SWEET SOA ...gota love the cruiser lean ;p ... mine goes the same way... but I tell you I REALY miss the gas milage of stock :frown:

I've got 30" tires (30"x9.5") - only slightly larger than stock (they look so wimpy in the picture next to Nicholas' truck). They're a new set of BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO. Although I can't say how a 60 or 62 rides/corners on 33" or any other larger sizes than what I've got, my BJ60 seems just fine on the 30" tires. They're floatation tires too. Of course it's not going to corner like a Porsche, the 60 series wagons have their limitations. From what I hear, the only thing that might help is an OME kit, although it will come with a minimum 2" lift so that could possibly counteract the benefits of smaller tires. Probably a good compromise between fuel economy and decent acceleration.

SWEET SOA ...gota love the cruiser lean ;p ... mine goes the same way... but I tell you I REALY miss the gas milage of stock :frown:

yup mine too and my suspension is new!:beer:

My 60 handled like a Porsche with 30" tires on it...and stock suspension..compared to 33x9.5 and the lift..Of course I (we) was(are)not looking for ROAD handling when I (we) started screwing around with it (them)...

I actually like the handling better with the 33" tires on mine, but they are 12.5's, much wider and more stable. When I had the stock pizza cutters on it, it would ride the grooves in the highway, especially in the rain, and throw you all over the place. The big tires are a little more jerky at speed when changing lanes and what not, but I feel like I have more control and the rig isn't as nervous on the highway. But some of that too was the garbage Les Schwab tires that were on it before. I never liked em since the day I bought my 62.

Great photos! It's always great to see a stock rig next to one that's built. As has already been said, both are cool and have their spot in the cruiser realm.

Hey CodeRed, nice to see another "old guy" :D on mud.

:cheers:

Looks like he's runnin either 35" or 37" MTR's. Mine are 37" jobbs. I wonder what axle ratio he's running too?

picture.JPG

My 60 is actually level, its the bumper which is off, when welding it to the mounts, my measurements were slightly off, nothing a die-grinder and some shims won't take care of.

Looks like he's runnin either 35" or 37" MTR's. Mine are 37" jobbs. I wonder what axle ratio he's running too?

37" MTRs with 4.56 gears.

It was nice to meet another MUD member in person, as it always is and I was trouble shooting some electrical gremlins at the time, swapped out my starter from one off my parts trucks and that seemed to fix my issues. Peter lucked out as I had some glow plugs available for him, just when he needed some.

I really don't think my truck as being that big, until its parked up near a stock or nearly stock 'Cruiser. I miss how nimble my 60 was back when it looked like Peter's does.

Last edited:
On the 33' tire deal..My 60 with 33x9.5/15s will dive into turns (over steer I think this is called) unless, i run the air pressure up to 38-40 psi. It will still dive but not as bad at slow speeds. My OME lift did little to help, even with the firmest OME shocks.

So will the 33 X 9.5/15's go on a stock truck with stock suspension/wheels then? I like the tall skinny look, and it will give me maximum height gain.

Should be good in snow too, which is important for my use....

Thanks

It's alright peterdouglas, give your truck it's Wheaties and someday, it'll grow up to be like Mortis' rig (just a joke... don't get mad) Seriously, great pics! But you do know what you have right? A brand new (old) canvas! Now you can make your own masterpiece! Good luck!

On the 33' tire deal..My 60 with 33x9.5/15s will dive into turns (over steer I think this is called) unless, i run the air pressure up to 38-40 psi. It will still dive but not as bad at slow speeds. My OME lift did little to help, even with the firmest OME shocks.

So will the 33 X 9.5/15's go on a stock truck with stock suspension/wheels then? I like the tall skinny look, and it will give me maximum height gain.

Should be good in snow too, which is important for my use....

Thanks

Yes the 33s fit fine on stock springs. the photo below show my rig pre-OME with 33 BFG mts and a full load of gear.

these tires do great on snow IF there is any "bite" to the snow, meaning on packed snow or ice..the MTs do very little in the traction area..loose snow slush..they do fine.
PA160108.JPG

It's alright peterdouglas, give your truck it's Wheaties and someday, it'll grow up to be like Mortis' rig (just a joke... don't get mad) Seriously, great pics! But you do know what you have right? A brand new (old) canvas! Now you can make your own masterpiece! Good luck!

Yeah! :cool:

From what I'm hearing, there are some advantages and benefits to the stock set up. For my needs, and current budget, the (mostly) stock Cruiser suits me fine. At the current time, I need it to have reasonably good road manners - not much off roading (except for some rough, hilly and snow/ice covered roads) - but if that changes, I'd love an OME lift kit and 33" tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom