Porting the 80 series power steering box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Searched dint come up with much. I have the whole box torn down and I am ready to drill and tap it. Any of you that have ported there 80 series box know if you port it in the same location as all the other cruiser boxes. I would assume so but dont want to mess up a perfectly good box. Also the box was leaking a bit from the worm gear, anyone replace just the Teflon seals there with good luck..I am looking forward to having ram assist.

thanks,
-Al:beer:

anywhere that grabs pressure from the two sides of the piston inside will be correct, a beefy spot that will take to the weakening from the porting would be nice.

Yulp will do. Ill grab some tuesday, ill be out of town monday....

It looks like im gonna tap it to the left of the allen head screw and in the A of TOYODA...

Will throw some shots up then...

-Al

Also have to call C-dan for some seals for the worm gear.

Searched dint come up with much. I have the whole box torn down and I am ready to drill and tap it. Any of you that have ported there 80 series box know if you port it in the same location as all the other cruiser boxes. I would assume so but dont want to mess up a perfectly good box. Also the box was leaking a bit from the worm gear, anyone replace just the Teflon seals there with good luck..I am looking forward to having ram assist.

thanks,
-Al:beer:

Ram assist? Do tell.

PM Christo. I am almost a hundred percent sure that he was/is running hydro on the shortbus.
Also check with West Texas Off road. They make the RedNeck Ram and drilled and ported the box for my old 60 truggy.
Let us know how it turns out.

PM Christo. I am almost a hundred percent sure that he was/is running hydro on the shortbus.
Also check with West Texas Off road. They make the RedNeck Ram and drilled and ported the box for my old 60 truggy.
Let us know how it turns out.

Christo is running full hydro...so there is no porting of the box in that case;)

It looks like the 80 series box is ported just the same as all the other ones. I am out of town at the moment but will pick up a tap and post pics mid week. No more fighting the wheel in big rocks is gonna be o so nice...

Im suprised more 80 series guys are not running it. There is no down-side and 80 series weigh in about 1200 more lbs than a trail ready 60...and I know it can be tough and almost impossible in spots in a 60 series somtimes.

I had my ram built by PSC motorsports for my 80. The ram assist project is nearing closer as I am knocking out things to do on my 80 pretty quickly. Just make sure before you buy a ram that you measure the stroke needed. I am putting my ram behind the axle from the axle tube to the tie rod. the stroke required in this location is 9.625" It sounds like you are right on with the areas to drill and tap.

way cool
hows the ram install going?

I wont be able to do that for about 3 more weeks, but will post details when I do...but the hard part of porting the box is done with:bounce:

Am I correct in assuming here that you ported it to attach a high pressure line to a ram assist? How does a single ported system work? Wouldn't that only assist you in one steering direction?

Sorry never updated the thread. The hydro assist has been working great ever since it was done. Dusty what do you want to know...Ill answer it the best I can.

Please take pictures of this, I need to do this on mine.

Tide could we just get a few pics of the finished product and any notes tips that you wish you would have known prior to. parts used would be great too. Are you running running Hy-steer?

Last edited:
FSM manual helps but not much. Rebuild kits from C-Dan (not cheap). Just need a drill and tap. Check pictures on the link above on where to port it. It worked great, ran it with hysteer. I have no pictures and to tell you the truth I can even take any, the axles have been removed an 1 tons are going under it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom