I did the chop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It needed to be done sooner or later. ...so I just did it.

2-1/2 hours total, some of that was just getting stuff together and figuring it out.

I did it ala Angry Andy style as shown here http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ody-mount-chop.html?highlight=body+mount+chop

Thanks for the write up, Andy :)

Sorry, no pics during, but here is after. Yes, I know I need to paint it black, but my shop was out of black, so it's primer colored until I break out the rattle can again. :)

38854874oh2.jpg

58474335wy9.jpg

96239704qe2.jpg

I did the cutting, Juan in our shop did the welding, I did the grinding. It's a pretty easy deal to do. If you're deliberating about it, just do it. You'll be glad for the peace of mind. I used a grinder with a cutting wheel and the cut took about a minute in a half.

Looks good.

Living in an apt complex, and not having a sawzall, grinder, or a welder, I need to find a local shop to do this.

I do as well. Fortunately I work at a place that has a fab shop for sheet metal (up to 3/8") and structural steel.

We actually have all that stuff too at the Boeing complex where I work, just can not do it on company time, or free time due to insurance reasons.

I have a few places that could do it, including Central 4WD by me.
Will have to get an estimate.

just wondering, is that so bigger tires can be put on without hitting/rubbing there?

nice clean work.
i may have to offer that at the new shop ;)

jim

thanx for the info FJD,
i was'nt sure if it was to clean it up a bit.

jim

I have been thinking to do the chop myself. However I was wondering if Warranty is affected by this modification?? Anybody asked Toyota?

I am running 33's and I haven't had any rubbing issues yet. Is this more of an issue in terrian? I have played a little, but I have mostly been fishing since I picked up my FJ.

Yup I am running 33x12.5RTx17LT with a 3" lift....It looks close when I crank all the way over but I still have about 2 inches. I have made some sharp u turns and played a little off the pavement and haven't had any rubbing. I have a friend with a shop and was wondering if I still needed to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom