My painful FJ45 search, have a couple questions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi- As many of you know I have been searching for a FJ45 for over two years now. I have found some but nothing close to what I wanted. I uncovered a rollover that was being sold as original last year that was very disappointing.

Lately I came upon a new find that I cannot decide on

It is a 1963 FJ45 SWB Fixed top with a rebuilt 350 engine, turbo 350 auto trans, and saginaw PS for $5000 firm. It has the original bezel and a near perfect cab. The cross member is the bed is rusty behind the wheel wells. I don't have photos as I want to be ultra discreet until I pass. Tailgate is very nice and included. Seller needs cash bad but is a nice guy so I won't offer less than $5000.

I have the money but I really wanted a removeable top as Spokane, WA gets warm. But I am starting to question if I can find a removeable top truck that is driveable for $5000 in 2007. I have to search high and low for these and maybe see one a year outside of EBAY.

Please share your thoughts. I don't want to blow my chances.

PS- I have all kinds of part to return this to original Toyota 2f, 4 speed, split case, FJ60 axles front and rear. Newer brake booster.

thanks

Aaron

Sounds like a fun truck, Aaron. Unless you don't fit into the smaller cab of the early SWB, I think you should get it and get it going. The Removable top will appear the moment you buy this!

Mark just bought a 67 removable top with a long bed 2 miles from my house. Call and talk him out of it.

FJ45

Dave- thanks man. I can fit in the cab very well. I am 6'1 but thinner. The whole family is going on a trip tomorrow to check it out and take some photos. Will post them tomorrow PM. thanks for the help. I just hate the v-8 and chebby stuff. If it was stock it would be in the driveway tonight.

Aaron

Shane- Mark will not sell the LWB to me. We just spoke this evening and he is dead set on making this into a crawler. I told him to restore it and wheel a heep. He is making it into a rock truck.

thanks guys

Aaron

Riddler...what is that old saying?

1 in the hand is better than 2 in the bush..

If you see it..and it feels right I say get it. Worse case you can sell it to someone on the board. I'm also in washington and can help you out with parts, a shoulder to cry on, and beer drinking buddy.

ps. can youg get the vin# for me and the registry

1963 SWB FJ45 fixed top- what is she worth? Am I crazy

Here are the photos. Please pick it apart. Have no merci so I know as much as possible what it will take to make it a driver. I know I will need to paint it and add a front disc conversion.

thanks

Aaron
Picture 712 (Small)_edited.jpg
Picture 713 (Small)_edited.jpg
Picture 719 (Small)_edited.jpg

more pics

here are some more
Picture 718 (Small)_edited.jpg
Picture 722 (Small)_edited.jpg
Picture 725 (Small)_edited.jpg

more pics

Thanks Bull- I realize what you mean. I am usually very patient.

Here are some trouble spots. Floors have been patched with thick steel diamond plate. Rust in rocker on DS and rust on inner bed fender where the famous cross member rusts out. I have read from guys like Mark Algazy (sp?) that this is a huge PITA to fix.

Please let me know your opinions. Tailgate is not in photo but is very nice and not rusty. Truck was originally white.

thanks

Aaron
Picture 716 (Small).jpg
Picture 717 (Small).jpg

Classic old alloy wheels and rare factory locking gas cap, nice if all the keys matched. The price is pretty good because it is complete and fairly solid, even though it has chevy stuff. I would buy it because that is the only way the perfect long bed will show up. Old Murph.

Good luck

Mike

Not a bad swb for a NW rig. Here is what is going through my sick mind.

-Overall rust isn't bad
-Short block chevy can be yanked and sold on craigslist
-Winch can be yanked and sold on craigslist
-sell aluminum wheels and get stockers put back on
-Rocker panels, and floorboards are reproduced now (buy them with money made from craigslist sales
-Saginaw conversion is nice

I would take the bed off the frame and have it bead blasted to see what I'm dealing with. From there I would begin to patch and recreate what is needed for the bed. (hardest part of the project) You can get an aluminum bed from aqualu if it is too rusty

I would then find a newer 55 or 40 (76+) being parted and get both axles and bolt them up to have disc brakes.

Buy oem steel wheels from cruiserdan with new tires.

If you buy this and want to go stock with it. I will donate my running F drivetrain with floorshift transmission and transfer case out of my 40 that was hit by a tree to sweet'n the pot.

Aaron it depends on what you want the rig for? Are you going to wheel it? Want a bitchin daily driver? Stock drivetrain with upgrades? V8?

Just some quick thoughts..call me if you want to chat more in depth

ps. Just buy it for the friggin bezel!!!!

does it have a heater? I thought 63's didn't have the defrost ducts, just dealer heaters installed? looks like a booster was installed already.
$5,000. would be more than I would spend, but I'm a cheap ass. It's definately buy what you find and if your not finding any....get the best you can.

Paul

PS- I have all kinds of part to return this to original Toyota 2f, 4 speed, split case, FJ60 axles front and rear. Newer brake booster.

thanks

Aaron

2f, 4spd, split case and 60 axles wouldn't be original...i'm guessing you mean to return it to toyota. i'd say get it, and continue your quest for a removeable top...you may be able to use it in a trade later.

replies

Bull-

I agree with everything you said. the bed is very fixable. I have a good body guy that is hungry. I need to drive it when the seller gets back from his trip. I would approach it exactly as you stated.
This is very generous of you to offer. Thanks very much. "If you buy this and want to go stock with it. I will donate my running F drivetrain with floorshift transmission and transfer case out of my 40 that was hit by a tree to sweet'n the pot."

Aaron it depends on what you want the rig for? To be honest weekend mall attack FJ45 to preserve forever. My dad has a barn to store them.

Are you going to wheel it? Nope logging roads only

Want a bitchin daily driver? Nope I have a company car and wife has a 97 80

Stock drivetrain with upgrades? Yes I prefer all toyota

V8? No thanks just not my style. I don't want to piss anyone off. But if in town and just short trips the F and 2F work for me.
ps. Just buy it for the friggin bezel!!!! I know isn't that something?

nuclearlemon "2f, 4spd, split case and 60 axles wouldn't be original...i'm guessing you mean to return it to toyota. i'd say get it, and continue your quest for a removeable top...you may be able to use it in a trade later." You got me...I mispoke on that. I meant all toyota not all original. I think that swapping toyota stuff to make a early FJ45 more roadworthy is a legitimate swap. Just my opinion.

Mike G in CO. thanks man for the reply. Much appreciated.

3 puppies aka Paul- it seems to have a heater. I don't remember there is a black box there from the saved photos I have?

wow.....its has the super rare optional bed mounted heat pump......amazing :)

Verrrrrry cool

What with that massive kind of cooling sitting in the bed, and a case on the floor, you can bet it's gonna be free ice-cold brewskis for everyone!!!!

photos

I love the humor guys. I knew the AC unit would generate comments. I was just waiting. A redneck never changes just buys a different truck.

Bull- I have more photos. You want them?

thanks

Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom