FF disc conversion question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
thecarpentryway.blogspot.com
I've looked at the FAQ section on rear disc brake conversions, and can't find exactly what I am looking for. i would like to convert my rear full-floater axle to disc brakes, and keep it all Toyota. Anyone done this? What parts do I need? What needs to be fabbed?

The axle is a 1982 manufacture, and I will keep the parking brake on the transfer case.

:cheers:

Technical Links <---- this is a link

Look at the very top of the page...

You will find THIS in there, along with A LOT of other great information.

Why not just buy a FF rear with disks on it already?

Hell I have two of the damn things just sitting around. I ran out of room so now I just toss the drum brake FFs in the rubbish bin.

:)

Why not just buy a FF rear with disks on it already?

Hell I have two of the damn things just sitting around. I ran out of room so now I just toss the drum brake FFs in the rubbish bin.

:)
Well, uh, those sorta things aren't exactly hanging off every lamppost in town. I've never even seen a picture of one, in fact had no idea they existed. What truck do they come off of?

Last edited:
Technical Links <---- this is a link

Look at the very top of the page...

You will find THIS in there, along with A LOT of other great information.
Thanks Steve,

the first link, where you said to look at the very top of the page, just went to the regular tech links page, and there was nothing at the top of the page I could see relating to my question. The section on brake mods I have looked through thoroughly.

The second link was much more helpful, and I bookmarked it, however it was a conversion for a "pre-'79" FF rear axle, and as I stated in my original post, I have an 1982 axle. I have no idea what the differences are mind you between pre- and post 1979 full floaters. Care to enlighten me?

IIRC, different axle seals but no difference in the backing plate pattern which is what matters for the Toyota rear disc conversion.

Mark...

IIRC, different axle seals but no difference in the backing plate pattern which is what matters for the Toyota rear disc conversion.

Mark...

So when did the backing plate pattern change? All the ones I've seen the seals changed when the backing plate did. Early had the bigger ID seal and the 8 bolt backing plate. Late have the small ID seal and the 4 bolt backing plate.

But maybe different over there?

I'm not that up on the FFs, and I may be tossing out some incorrect info. I've got a '78 with the big seals and 8 bolt flange. Have another one here of unknown vintage with smaller seals and the same 8 bolt flange.

???

Mark...

I've seen quite a few of them :)

What I've seen is the early ones had the seal in the bearing retaining nut (large seal) - plus 8 bolt backing plate (no handbrake).
These also have a 'bend it up' locking tab.

The later ones had the seal in the spindle (small seal) and 4 bolt backing plate (with handbrake). And the bearing nuts lock otgether with screws.

But there may be an inbetween variation with the spindle seal and still 8 bolt backing plate...

and of course one can fit a varient seal into the 'nut' version to take the later axles :)

I just picked up a HZJ 73 rear full floating axle with disk brakes, to replace my 1982 45 series FF with drum brakes.

As far as i can tell now is that the hubs between the two are different, obviously so are the backing plates and the bolt patern of the backing plates are different.
I haven't torn into the axle to much yet, but i will have to take the third out to swap the cable locker in.
So if you want detailed pictures of the two, PM me and i'll mail you some.

HTH Mark

I've seen quite a few of them :)

What I've seen is the early ones had the seal in the bearing retaining nut (large seal) - plus 8 bolt backing plate (no handbrake).
These also have a 'bend it up' locking tab.

The later ones had the seal in the spindle (small seal) and 4 bolt backing plate (with handbrake). And the bearing nuts lock otgether with screws.

But there may be an inbetween variation with the spindle seal and still 8 bolt backing plate...

and of course one can fit a varient seal into the 'nut' version to take the later axles :)
Okay, well now I'm slightly confused (nothing new there!); mine is a 1982, and I know there were changes in '79, however mine does not have the parking brake mounted (it's on the transfer output). I'm going to take a look this morning and see how many bolts it has on the backing plate, if possible.

Surely there are some Australians out there who would know the technical differences between pre- and post '79 axles?

Chris

I just picked up a HZJ 73 rear full floating axle with disk brakes, to replace my 1982 45 series FF with drum brakes.

As far as i can tell now is that the hubs between the two are different, obviously so are the backing plates and the bolt patern of the backing plates are different.
I haven't torn into the axle to much yet, but i will have to take the third out to swap the cable locker in.
So if you want detailed pictures of the two, PM me and i'll mail you some.

HTH Mark
Does that HZJ 73 axle have the same width as the one in your 45? How come you're swapping the new one in?

Does that HZJ 73 axle have the same width as the one in your 45? How come you're swapping the new one in?

The 73 axle has the same width as the 45 axle. The only thing i need to do is reweld the spring perches.

I'm swapping them out because i want rear disks and i could trade my 45 axle for it and some Euro's.

I needed to completely overhaul the rear brakes and in the end it's going to be cheaper and better.

Also why i wanted rear disks is the ease of cleaning, no adjusting and less maintaince in general. Also with the safety inspections here the Cruiser has failed because of to big of a difference in braking power between left and right. I hope that's solved with disks.

And then there is the cool factor. :D

Mark

The 73 axle has the same width as the 45 axle. The only thing i need to do is reweld the spring perches.

I'm swapping them out because i want rear disks and i could trade my 45 axle for it and some Euro's.

I needed to completely overhaul the rear brakes and in the end it's going to be cheaper and better.

Also why i wanted rear disks is the ease of cleaning, no adjusting and less maintaince in general. Also with the safety inspections here the Cruiser has failed because of to big of a difference in braking power between left and right. I hope that's solved with disks.

And then there is the cool factor. :D

Mark
Mark,

you're reasons for converting to discs make perfect sense to me, and are pretty much the same reasons I want to convert to discs front and rear. Are you converting your front and rear?

Chris

Okay, well now I'm slightly confused (nothing new there!); mine is a 1982, and I know there were changes in '79,

Chris-

How about you post up some pictures of your full float axle assembly with the brake drum removed, showing how the backing plate is attached....and end the ambiguity, eh?

Help those trying to help you....

As far as the first link-

Look at the top of this page, there is the techincal links....that is what I was talking about....that would take you to the other linked article, along with a lot of other information.

:beer:

Chris-

How about you post up some pictures of your full float axle assembly with the brake drum removed, showing how the backing plate is attached....and end the ambiguity, eh?

Help those trying to help you....

As far as the first link-

Look at the top of this page, there is the techincal links....that is what I was talking about....that would take you to the other linked article, along with a lot of other information.

:beer:
Well, Steve, having a digital camera would be real nice, but I don't. Thanks for your help. I have reviewed the tech links on this site, and am not finding the info I need, though the second one you linked was helpful.

I looked at the backing plates on the drums from the rear, and they are 4 bolt. What fits that, or will it be a matter of taking an 8-bolt one, welding the holes up, and re-drilling on the 4-bolt pattern?

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom