Should I buy aftermarket or OEM glow plugs & exhaust for BJ60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, me again! It's not immediately urgent, but in the near future I need to get new glow plugs and an exhaust front to back for my 1984 BJ60.

From Toyota, the OEM glow plugs are about $67 CDN each. I can get aftermarket NGK plugs for about $27 each. Good savings in price, but is there a huge difference in quality? Or any other suggestions?

As for exhaust, Toyota sells it in 3 pieces, all stainless steel and will cost about $500 CDN plus installation (unless my buddy can help me install it if no welding or torches are required). Most aftermarket places don't want to quote, but one guy said it would be at least $1000 installed and would be only aluminized, not stainless steel.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this? I've got a 1984 BJ60.

the ngk plugs aren't the right ones ive been lookinig for a set of glow plugs for 1 month for my cruiser and they are the 10.5V you need the 6V they wont heat up enough, your only option is toyota 70bucks or denso 70bucks the denso plugs were 20bucks a year ago thats waht the dude at a local dieselshop .... hope this helps

NGK have been the ones I've used for quite a while. I had Toyota and cannot tell the difference. Denso makes Toyotas I believe. Just get them spec'd properly. (that is probably the biggest concern) MAKE SURE you get the right Voltage and manual glow ain't a bad idea

Last edited:
I think the Toyota exhaust is guaranteed for life like Midas (at least mine was). I had the OEM exhaust until I went with a turbo and upsized the pipe and eliminated the muffler. I had it replaced at least one under the warrantee since I've had this truck since 1989.

Thanks for all the great replies! Regarding the glow plugs: the previous owner installed a manual glow plug override (the original relay no longer works).

I'm tempted to get the NGK glow plugs (not sure of the specs on them, but whatever it is, they'll be better that what I've got - two really old original glow plugs and two from an HJ60 24V). The NGK's will cost me a bit over $100 with tax, whereas the OEM Toyota or Denso glow plugs will be over $300. But, if the NGK's don't work out and I get OEM plugs after all, then it's not much of a savings. Something to think about...

As for the exhaust, I hadn't checked Midas yet. If they're close in price to Toyota, then I'll go OEM. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards OEM, unless there's a huge price savings, like a couple hundred dollars.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/4WD-Parts_4WD-Parts_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ2QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Set of 6 Glow Plugs to suit Landcruiser 6 Cyl
PayPal Buyer Protection Program
* AU $42.00Buy It Now
* Time Left: 3d 01h 41m

Those were for a 6 cylinder, but he also has them for a 4 cylinder for just $28 AU. It looks like he only ships to Australia though. I'll ask him if he ships to Canada, and how much it will cost.

I'd also like to know the quality of those glow plugs... it's almost 4 for the price of one NGK glow plug or 4 for half the price of one OEM Toyota glow plug.

Those were for a 6 cylinder, but he also has them for a 4 cylinder for just $28 AU. It looks like he only ships to Australia though. I'll ask him if he ships to Canada, and how much it will cost.

I'd also like to know the quality of those glow plugs... it's almost 4 for the price of one NGK glow plug or 4 for half the price of one OEM Toyota glow plug.

The second one did not copy, and after posting I figured if you were interested you may try a search for yourself. Best ask someone else I might share the same opinion on them as the 2H LOL and I see you know better.:lol: :D :beer: :beer: cheers

No problem. I met up with another one of the members of Mud today (Rig of Mortis). Great guy, nice BJ60 too. He had a couple of slightly used Denso glow plugs that I bought off him for slightly more than one brand new NGK glow plug would have cost. They've got to be better than mismatched glow plugs I have now. Then if I want, later I can get brand new ones when I have a bit more cash I don't know what to do with! :D

Cash is everything. Many times I feel pretty tight, so I understand that. That is why I have a hard time buying OEM.

I can say the 10.5 volt NGK work fine. But you do have to go to manual activation to get them to glow long enough for a good start. I paid around 20 bucks a plug 3 yrs ago for my NGKs

If I shop around, I might be able to find NGK glow plugs a bit cheaper. The UAP Napa store quoted me $27 each. Maybe they've gone up in price. OEM glow plugs would be nice, but I can't justify spending over $300 for them right now. I'll see if I can put the Denso glow plugs in tomorrow. We're still going to have cold or at least cool weather for a while, so I might as well start using the new ones. Lately I've been using my block heater too.

As for the exhaust... I was thinking of OEM Toyota for the front and intermediate pipe (and they're apparently stainless steel), then an aftermarket muffler and tailpipe. Nicholas (Rig of Mortis) had a Flowmaster muffler on his with the tailpipe exiting at the side. It looked and sounded good.

On a sidenote... I'm going to post pictures of our BJ60's side by side in the general 60 series forum.

If the Toyota stuff is stainless then they've changed it 'cause it wasn't stainless 4-5 years ago when I still had it. I'd stick with the stock all the way back. The OEM muffler is BIG!!

If the Toyota stuff is stainless then they've changed it 'cause it wasn't stainless 4-5 years ago when I still had it. I'd stick with the stock all the way back. The OEM muffler is BIG!!

Apparently they're stainless steel now, but I'd want the dealer to confirm that before I order since that would be a deciding factor for me. That, and it would be sure to fit right. They say the muffler lasts a long time too. I'd like to see what an OEM muffler looks like.

If the price of an OEM vs aftermarket system is minimal, I'll get OEM. If aftermarket is drastically less, then I'll get it. Either way, it will be better than the patched up (and slowly leaking again) exhaust system I have now. It's one of the few things really bugging me about my BJ60 right now.

As for the exhaust... I was thinking of OEM Toyota for the front and intermediate pipe (and they're apparently stainless steel), then an aftermarket muffler and tailpipe. Nicholas (Rig of Mortis) had a Flowmaster muffler on his with the tailpipe exiting at the side. It looked and sounded good.

This is what I did. The good thing about the OEM exhaust is it go "right at the good place".

Because everything is new, you can instal it yourself. It more easy. Then I instal a aftermarker muffler and drive my Cruiser to a exaust shop for the tail pipe. They bend it (tail pipe) over the rear axle for 100$ and that it !

BTW, the OEM 70 exhaust I order last year WAS NOT stainless.

The 70 OEM exhaust price was (list price) is ±121.99$ for each of the 2 front section (you can get it for ±105 if your a friend of the toyota's parts buddy!) and 40$ for the OEM insulator (way cheaper at 4weelauto).

So figure it like that :

exhaust pipe (2) : 210 $
muffley : 60$
insulator : 60$
tail pipe (materiel and labour) : 100 $
beer : 6$

436$ you get a brand new OEM (almost).

I don't think afthermarket is better for the $$$. Figure the materiel and the labour.

Last edited:
That seems like a good plan. I think the prices I got from the Toyota dealer for my 60 were about $97 for the front pipe, $117 for the intermediate and $297 for the muffler and tailpipe. You're right about the OEM exhaust fitting correctly and in the right place. That's what I like. The exhaust on my BJ60 now must be aftermarket - it really doesn't look like it's in the right place. My friend's father in law works for a Toyota dealer and can get a discount, but he's in Québec. It would only be economical next time I'm there and can pick it up in person - shipping would outweigh any savings in employee discounts. :D

My friend's father in law works for a Toyota dealer and can get a discount, but he's in Québec. It would only be economical next time I'm there and can pick it up in person - shipping would outweigh any savings in employee discounts. :D

I bought the pipes from the Toyota dealer à Roberval (Lac St-Jean aera)... at 600Km from Montréal. He ad a FedEx business account... at it's was fairly cheap shipping... don't remember exacly... but less than 20$ for 2 pipes and 4 shocks.

Ask question to the concern people... you can be surprise.

Bonne chance.

I bought the pipes from the Toyota dealer à Roberval (Lac St-Jean aera)... at 600Km from Montréal. He ad a FedEx business account... at it's was fairly cheap shipping... don't remember exacly... but less than 20$ for 2 pipes and 4 shocks.

Ask question to the concern people... you can be surprise.

Bonne chance.

Merci David! I'll ask them and see how much I could save. If there's not a big savings, I'll buy the parts at the Toyota dealer near me.

For my BJ60 I went to a muffler shop and they custom built an exhaust for me, the difference from stock is that it is 2.5" all around, and comes out on the pass side before the back wheel. It has a glass pack for less restriction. The good thing it was $125 for the whole thing, the "bad" thing is that it is a bit loud, my answer to that is to turn up the stereo.

That's a pretty good price! I'd love a nice gutsy sounding muffler, but unfortunately I need it to be reasonably quiet for a few reasons. A touch louder would be OK though. The aftermarket places around here didn't really want to quote on it (at least without checking the truck on a hoist first). The only quote I got was for an outrageous $1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom