Suspension setup questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi I'm buying the stock standart size springs next weekend and I also have some 3" shackles that I may put.. I asked the mechanic if is good to go with shackles and he told me that he doesn't recomend it because they cause to much body roll so what do you all think about?

another quiestion: what's the size of the OEM shackles? and how many inches I'll get over the stock setup if I put the 3" shackles. I'm also buying pro-comp 9000s and would like to know how to tell the guy of the store the size of the shocks I'm buying. I want to run 2 or maybe 2.5 inches suspension setup in my truck so what do you all think?

Thank's. Andres

Shackles will give you half of what ever they are rated as in lift. So a 3" shackle will give you about 1.5 inches of lift.

Generally going with extended shackles can cause more body roll, but I also think it depends on the shackle and how strong they are. I just put 4" shackles on my 62, and there was no noticeable difference. In fact, I actually think it improved the ride. Mine are custom fabbed by Southwest 4x4, and they are stout. I have only had them on for a few days, but so far I am more than pleased. The other issue you can get from shackles is bending or in extreme cases, breaking. But again, I think that depends on the shackle and how they are built, and the quality of material used. I think as long as you are jumping and launching off of stuff, which most Cruiser's aren't fast enough to do anyway :doh: --you should be fine.

Meant to tell you too...I'm gonna be posting before and after pics of my shackle job here shortly.

Thank's for the help mtb_rider, my shackles are built with good materials and they're strong shackles, the company that sells them is very well known here in Venezuela doe to there bumpers and other accesories so I think I'll be fine.

thank's again and I'll be looking at your post to see the info of your shackle lift.

Shackles will give you half of what ever they are rated as in lift. So a 3" shackle will give you about 1.5 inches of lift.

Really?? It was always my understanding that if you had a shackle that was 2" longer than stock, then you would get about a 2" overall lift.. My cruiser definatly sits higher than 1" with my homemade 2" extended shackles:

426774_20_full.jpg

Granted I am on 20 year old springs! :)

All the sites and mags claim it is half. I put 4 inchers on mine and it got me 2 inches of lift. And I am on the original springs too.

All the sites and mags claim it is half. I put 4 inchers on mine and it got me 2 inches of lift. And I am on the original springs too.

That's crazy.. I did not know that. Those tires I'm running are 32x11.5's and when I put them on with the stock springs, they had very little clearence, but now, they look to have at least a couple more inches!

If you have enough clearance then it probably doesn't matter. It looks good. I like the red. I also kind of like the look of AT tires on these things. I was mixed about whether to go mud or all terrain before I bought my Destinations. My final deciding factor was the fact that Firestone put them on clearance and I ended up getting them below cost.

If you have enough clearance then it probably doesn't matter. It looks good. I like the red. I also kind of like the look of AT tires on these things. I was mixed about whether to go mud or all terrain before I bought my Destinations. My final deciding factor was the fact that Firestone put them on clearance and I ended up getting them below cost.

True. I can't bring myself to buy m/t's as this is preaty much a daily driver, that is used more on the paved roads than the un-paved. Plus I got the tires/wheels for free!! :)

Free is a good price! Mine is DD as well. Like I said, my final factor was the price. I got such a screaming deal on them I couldn't pass it up. I was going to put Revo's on it, but when they put these on clearance I jumped on it. Normally about a $920 set that I paid $535 for, brand new. How could I not?! And now that I did, I love the look of the aggressive mudders. But I still like the look of the AT's too. They both look good, but a different type of look. To me, the wide AT tires give it a more desert racer look. Kind of makes it look fast.

Yeah, I aggree. Some mud tires look cool, but I've always prefered the feel/duarbility/all around practicality of a good a/t. Does bridgestone even make their a/t revo's in a 33" ? The biggest I can find is a 31x10.5 but I would love to slap a set of 33" revo's on there!

Yes they make a 33, no 32. And only they only make the 33 in a 12.5. Until about a month ago, my bro-in-law was a service manager for Firestone up hear in Beaverton, then Tigard. In fact, if you had or wanted to run 17" wheels, he has an almost brand new set of 265/70-17 Revos, which measure's 32.6 inches. I was going to buy 17" wheels and run them, but decided against the 17 thing and wanted to stay with the 15's. Since I decided not to run them, I think he is just going to sell them. Would be a good deal on some really nice tires.

Sorry for thread-jackin FJ_60 Cruiser, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom