Is this lift a good choice ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello every one.
This is my very first post & IH8mud.com
I just purchased a FJ Cruiser B package. So far my Toyota dealership is adding rock rails and a Old MAn Emu (heavy coil suspension front 886/ rear 896) lift. I believe it is there heaviest spring rates front and rear. This cruiser will have a ARB Bumper, Warn 9000 lb winch and custom built rear bumper with tire carrier. It will pull a modded utility trailer with about 3000 lbs of gear. I have been told this is the best spring rate for what I need my Cruiser to do. My question is will this lift fit 33X12.50X17 mudders on the stock rims? Thanks in advance for the replys.

Last edited:
Welcome to MUD, Runt. :flipoff2:

You are going to rub with 33X12.50. The lift is plenty to run at least 33's if not more, it's the body mounts that will get you. If you go with a skinnier tire...10.50, you will probably be fine.

Search here for "body mount" and you'll find a lot of stuff.

I disagree. Lots of 33's won't rub with the stock rims. Especially with the lift. It will be close, though. Just for comparison...I had 33/11/17's fit with zero rubbage and no lift. Even while wheeling hard. I also have the OME heavy ( 886/896) IT's great when it's loaded, but it's pretty stiff when empty day to day. ;)
Oh, and welcome!

Is this rubbing issue with the 33X12.50X17 on the body mounts something that is noticible only under load (ie. wheeling etc) or noticible lock to lock? Thanks for the replys.

I disagree. Lots of 33's won't rub with the stock rims. Especially with the lift. It will be close, though. Just for comparison...I had 33/11/17's fit with zero rubbage and no lift. Even while wheeling hard. I also have the OME heavy ( 886/896) IT's great when it's loaded, but it's pretty stiff when empty day to day. ;)
Oh, and welcome!

I see what you are saying Ryan, but from what I have seen if you put serious mudders (I am thinking SS or something with aggressive tread) I have seen them rub more than not. It will depend on the tire chosen. I think the 33/11/17's are a great size and that helps clear the body mount.

I have the OME heavy lift as well and agree with you on the stiff when empty, but overall I am very pleased with it.

Is this rubbing issue with the 33X12.50X17 on the body mounts something that is noticible only under load (ie. wheeling etc) or noticible lock to lock? Thanks for the replys.

Mine doesn't rub, I only run 32" on mine. But from what other friends have seen, it's lock to lock, not load dependent.

The point of impact is at 9 o'clock, so loaded or emptyy makes no difference. I went with the light OME springs,as 95% of my driving is street. It handles better than stock! This last week I mounted All-Pro front and rear bumpers and a Warn 9.5ti. The front dropped 3/8", not bad. I haven't noticed much if any change in corners and tipping when braking. I am running 31" Coopers and only wish I went larger when the snow is deep or the rocks are large.
FJ BUMPER SMALL.JPG
FJ REAR SMALL.JPG

Runt that lift is a great choice. It's the one I will go with, and will whack the body mounts back like everyone else is doing. I plan on running full 33" mud terrains, 12.50 if possible.

Old Man Emu has been around forever. They build specifically for Toyota hard core off roading, so I feel they have the best aftermarket upgrade IMO.

:popcorn:

Well I talked to my local Kaltire and the Manager Mark is more then happy to try a set of 33X12.50X17 Wild Country RVT's on. Since I now have learned some fit some don't and that this can easily be tested in the shop. I will give them a try when the Cruisers lift arrives in two weeks time. If not I suppose I will put on a set of Cooper STT 285/70/17's. Far as whacking the body mounts....I shudder to even think about it. I will put a 6" lift on before I ever take a sawzall or torch to my beloved precious. Thanks agin for everyones help. I will try to post pics when its all done. Thanks & Best Regards.

Far as whacking the body mounts....I shudder to even think about it. I will put a 6" lift on before I ever take a sawzall or torch to my beloved precious.
Bah! I just finished making 37's fit with only a 3" lift.
welder.gif
:D

I'm located in Prince George, British Columbia, Canada.

ryan i'd love to see some pics of that, not out of disbelief, but i'd like to see how it looks, i too plan on cramming some large meat into the wheelwells, how difficult was the bodymount mod? i've read the post, it looks pretty easy, and how wide are those 37"'s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom