Newbie Intoroduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Thought In should say hi, I have been reading for a few months to research my latest purchase. I wanted to say thanks for all the information in your posts.

So I've had a 1977 FJ40 for a few years thats been my project vehicle that I love working on, it's got the 4.2 gas engine, Weber card, headers, delco electronic ignition, OME 2.5" lift, 33" tires, first gen checker plate tub. If your in the Okanagan, you can recognize my 40 from the checker plate back and bright orange front.

My new pride is a 1996 FZJ 80, charcoal grey, gas engine, pretty stock that I bought with an ARB winch bumper already on it. I love the truck, and it ran like a 'top' for the 2100 km trip home from Winnipeg. Now I am on the 'mud looking for clues to the 'non top' like way it is running now.

Anyway, thanks for the helpful posts, this is a great resource.

Hi Filter, Welcome to MUD!:beer:

So, your truck is no longer running properly?

What's it doing?

Hi Filter, Welcome to MUD!:beer:

So, your truck is no longer running properly?

What's it doing?

Cheers Thermodyn :beer:
:flipoff2: welcome. do tell.

Thanks, missipboy, thought you would never ask :).

Well, I had the truck checked out before the purchase, it was missing the exhaust hanger in front of the cat, and the gasket between the cats had a significant leak, did not concern me at the time. Drove it home over 2 days and got a CEL the second morning, did not surprise me to see the CEL. Truck drove great.

One tank of gas back home, regular city driving, and one morning I started getting a misfire after warm up, will not idle nicely anymore and will not accelerate, if I keep the revs up I can still get around. I got a new cat gasket and reset the CEL and although it sounds better, it is still misfiring. It still idles fine when it is cold, it does not rev higher than normal when cold.

I see a lot of threads with the same symptoms, I wish they were more definitive.

From what I gather:
I will be checking the plug wires
I could have bad O2 sensors
I could have clogged cats
I could have fuel injector issues
I could have a bad wiring harness behind the EGR
I could have a clogged EGR
I could have a vacuum leak or a crack in the intake

Any other ideas, I would like to make sense out of how it could happen so suddenly, some of these items I can't see happening overnight. Wouldn't the clogged EGR give degrading performance?

Thanks,

Filter

Welcome!:flipoff2:

Good luck w/ the repairs!:beer:

do you know what the cel code is? would probably help to know this. i had kind of the same deal going on, but not as bad. went to auto zone-they will check the code for you for free. mine showed excessive egr flow.

do you know what the cel code is? would probably help to know this. i had kind of the same deal going on, but not as bad. went to auto zone-they will check the code for you for free. mine showed excessive egr flow.

No I don't know the code yet, I am getting a reader this week.

I just had a look at the plug wires, they look fine, (what does that mean) I noticed that each plug wire seems to have significant affect when disconnected.

I am now looking at the EGR valve, I am having difficulty understanding how it functions. I have it in my hand and am applying vacuum, it doesn't seem to be sealed. It looks like there should be a diaphragm, and that suction on some hose would do something, sealing all the hoses, and applying vacuum just leaks out the pin hole in the center, should I be able to test this in my hand?

Filter

Thanks AKcruiserfreak,

Filter

Thanks sseaman, I will take a look.

Filter

Welcome; you'll soon have that 80 in great condtion!

welcome aboard :flipoff2:

Thanks guys, good news too, I got the code: P0305 [SIZE=-1]Cylinder 5 Five Misfire Detected. I cleared the code, swapped the plug wires with #6 and the code followed [/SIZE]P0306.

So I will be getting new plug wires. :)

While looking around though, I did find a bad EGR modulator, and my exhaust system seems ready to fall apart. Hopefully this will get me back on the road, and I can plan a new exhaust.

Welcome

:flipoff2: Nice work on the diagnostic. The amount of money you saved by reading here will probably lead you right to a silver star....probably.....most likely....might

:flipoff2: Welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom