Newb Locker Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do all 80 series Land Crusiers come standard with front and rear locking diff? Or is this an option? I want one with lockers , so which models and years should I look out for?

Only 8% of the LC's sold in the US have the factory lockers.

Do all 80 series Land Crusiers come standard with front and rear locking diff? Or is this an option? I want one with lockers , so which models and years should I look out for?

The F&R diff locks were an option (~$750) in the US on 93-97 Land Cruisers and 96-97 LX450s. They were not available on 91-92 Land Cruisers. Nobody knows the actual numbers but the best estimates are that ~7% of US Production had the option. For some reason, the ugly green versions got a higher percentage of this option. I guess that was the only way Toyota could sell Land Cruisers in that hideous colour.

Additionally, F&R diff locks were not standard on any US market 'special' versions; Collector's Edition, 40th Anniversary Edition, or the LX450 from Lexus.

-B-

Last edited:
For some reason, the ugly green versions got a higher percentage of this option. I guess that was the only way Toyota could sell Land Cruisers in that hideous colour.

-B-

One of these days..............................:flipoff2:

And to think just this morning I was refusing to post a pic of something.

The F&R diff locks were optional on 93-97 Land Cruisers and 96-97 LX450s. They were not available on 91-92 Land Cruisers. Nobody knows the actual numbers but the best estimates are that ~7% of US Production had the option. For some reason, the ugly green versions got a higher percentage of this option. I guess that was the only way Toyota could sell Land Cruisers in that hideous colour.

Additionally, F&R diff locks were not standard on ANY versions; Collector's Edition, 40th Anniversary Edition, or the LX450 from Lexus.

-B-

Front and rear diff locks are common and were offered from the first production run in 1989 for the 80 series. They are very common in the GX models. In fact i don't think I have ever seen a GX with open diffs.

But then again 4wheel disks were common here from day one too.

Everything depends on where you live :-

Everything depends on where you live :-

You are correct and I edited my post to clarify that it applied to US versions as previously mentioned by reffug.

I stand by the colour commentary though. :D

-B-

When I went to breakfast this morning there was another 80 in the parking lot. A quick inspection revealed a diff lock switch paired with a putrid paint color. :)

Only 8% of the LC's sold in the US have the factory lockers.

I keep hearing this statistic on this board but it seems way off. At least half of the landcruiser these newbies keep buying seem to have the switch. also half of the 10 I looked at before buying mine in the Seattle area had the diff locks.

The F&R diff locks were an option (~$750) in the US on 93-97 Land Cruisers and 96-97 LX450s. They were not available on 91-92 Land Cruisers. Nobody knows the actual numbers but the best estimates are that ~7% of US Production had the option. For some reason, the ugly green versions got a higher percentage of this option. I guess that was the only way Toyota could sell Land Cruisers in that hideous colour.

Additionally, F&R diff locks were not standard on any US market 'special' versions; Collector's Edition, 40th Anniversary Edition, or the LX450 from Lexus.

-B-

You are correct and I edited my post to clarify that it applied to US versions as previously mentioned by reffug.

I stand by the colour commentary though. :D

-B-

Mine is green also and with factory lockers too. Now . . . . I'm really disappointed. :crybaby:

NOT :flipoff2:

I got my '94 in the AWESOME green/purple/black paint. What do you classify the color as? Whenever I go to the car wash, it looks black, but when I'm driving in the sun it looks purple.

It's locked. And it was also $4500. Which makes any color okay.

I keep hearing this statistic on this board but it seems way off. At least half of the landcruiser these newbies keep buying seem to have the switch. also half of the 10 I looked at before buying mine in the Seattle area had the diff locks.

Believe what you want to believe but that is the most reliable number we have and it indirectly came to us from TMS USA through CruiserDan.

For every guy who says he sees 50% with lockers, there are 10 guys that spend 6+ months looking for one with the option. Back in early 2001 it took me over 6 months to find one with diff locks that was in my price range. I must have looked at 200 on eBay and Autotrader and my guess at the time was less than 10% based on the log that I was keeping.

-B-

Isn't that nice. :grinpimp:

I had no idea that diff locks were so rare in the States. However, for the kind of money involved, I would just as soon choose to spend the small additional for selectable lockers which, I think, are much more usefull. I only like my diff locks because they came with the 80 I bought. I doubt I would have paid $ 750 to have them installed.

Kalawang

I have been keeping track of all my leads as it makes it easier to keep track of which ones I have already called about

of the 34 leads in north GA and north Alabama on 96/97 TLC's and LX450's
5 with lockers
12 already sold or no response or otherwise unknown
17 without lockers

For some reason, the ugly green versions got a higher percentage of this option. I guess that was the only way Toyota could sell Land Cruisers in that hideous colour.

-B-

LMAO......:beer::beer::beer::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom