Factory Steel Wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I run a 1975 FJ40, drum brakes at all 4 corners, I have been working on all of the mechanicals and collecting parts for the body, one issue has me a bit stumped, stock steel wheels, I am old school, Armstrong Tru-Track. grave digger kind of guy, so would like to run tall and skinny on my truck, the factory wheel for my truck was a steel spoker type of wheel, I dont want that, I want a regular stamped steel wheel, 15" OK 16" better, I can get my hands on 16" splits no problem, kinda cool, not really scared of them, I think I saw an add in the 4-sale section a while back for 16" non splits for something like $1000:eek: are they that rare? what are people doing? 16" Chevy wheels? there is an add running right now for a set of 15" from a 66, is there an issue running the stock steel wheels from early years on my truck other than maybe a thin spacer? Any advise welcome:cool:

Stock steel rims are available new for about $70 ea. The only issue is that they're painted black instaead of gray. try contacting cruiserdan here on mud (you can pm him) at American Toyota. Vendors like cruiserparts.net or classiccruisers.com also have them "used"

correct me if i'm wrong but the factory wheel for all 40's in the u.s. was a 15x5.5 steel painted gray with a chrome hub cap until 1980 when the went to a 15x6 spoke with white paint. the 16's were split rims and didn't ship over here.

correct me if i'm wrong but the factory wheel for all 40's in the u.s. was a 15x5.5 steel painted gray with a chrome hub cap until 1980 when the went to a 15x6 spoke with white paint. the 16's were split rims and didn't ship over here.

Ah Ha, hence my question, I wasnt sure of the years for the spokers,doesnt really matter to me as I dont want them anyway, and from what I have been able to gather, you are correct, all U.S. cruisers came with the 15x5x5, overseas models had the 16" splits, I have no problem getting my hands on plenty of those, I cant seem to find the post, and maybe I am just spacing out in my old age, but I swear somebody on this forum was selling a set of 16" regular stamped steel wheels, grey, that accepted the hubcaps, factory Toyota for around $1000, which in my mind makes them ultra rare? My reason for all this is Tall and Skinny, since BFG stopped making the 33x9.50x15, and I am not really looking for the look of the TSL, I could go to a 16" and get what I want, the splits dont scare me to use, just looking for ease of trail repair with a standard steel wheel. So my question is did Toyota supply a factory stamped steel wheel that will accept factory hubcaps in the 16" non split style and are they that rare as to cost $1000.00? used? if thats the case, I will build a set. Thanks:cool:

my canadian 77 FJ45 came with 16 inch non split rim steel wheels
there were no hub cap clips on them when I got them but the holes for the clips are there.

the centers are riveted to the outside of the rims, like the older wheels. and indeed hit discs unless you use spacers.

I have been looking for some clips for a few weeks to add to these wheels so I can add hubcaps. I can find some clips for old chevys and vws but no toyota.

If somebody had some old rivet wheels that were ruined and would remove the clips I would surely pay for them

JM599, Thanks for the confirmation that they do indeed exist, now the hunt to find out if they are so rare as to command a 1K price tag, might have to go Chevy:cool:

yes, chevy stock wheels look very similar with same lug pattern and I believe come in 7 and 8 inch widths but the centers are smaller, I was trying to think of a way to enlarge the hole but never did.

aftermarket spokes etc. do have large centers, but wouldn't look very stock.

stockton wheel can make some but its said it takes a year

so if i'm correct, you're looking for a set of oem steelies?

1. they're availible from the dealer.

2. look in the for sale section. i see them there all the time.

you apparently still have front drums, so you can use the less desirable ''non DB'' steelies(pre-74's/rivited wheels).
i have seen 5 wheel deals for them on here for less than a 100 bucks.

bfg still makes the at in the 33x9.5

Last edited:
heres part #'s for 76/06 - 80/07 ,fj45 , 5.50F-16 disc wheel pretty sure it is a split rim tho . #42610-60022 less clips

with clips #42601-60040 5.50K-16 1969-77 or 42610-60020 5.50F-16 with clips

Last edited:
Jake, Thanks! I think you may be right on the numbers denoting splits, I may just go with them, I have a bad feeling that if I find non-split 16" wheels, they are going to cost me dearly, and to be really fair with the !6' splits, the toyota version is really called a locking rim, it has a pretty substantial internal lock mechanisim, so its not a real issue having it blow apart, you cant air way down, but thats not a real issue either as I will just keep a seperate set of tires and wheels. Or maybe I will just go with the 15" stock steelies and forget it, I am just starting the hunt so will see what turns up. Thanks for the help:cool: Steve

the splits dont scare me to use, just looking for ease of trail repair with a standard steel wheel

I always thought the split rims were easier to repair in the field than the standard one piece rims. If you know what your doing you can remove the rim with a couple of tire irons and slip the tire off to repair the tube. I'm sure that's why Toyota used them in areas where it might be hard to find a tire shop. Problem in the US most tire shops wouldn't work on them which makes it a pain in the a$$ every time you need new tire or need a flat fixed

John.

I always thought the split rims were easier to repair in the field than the standard one piece rims. If you know what your doing you can remove the rim with a couple of tire irons and slip the tire off to repair the tube. I'm sure that's why Toyota used them in areas where it might be hard to find a tire shop. Problem in the US most tire shops wouldn't work on them which makes it a pain in the a$$ every time you need new tire or need a flat fixed

John.

I definitely" live in the past" busted tires as a kid so know some of the tricks, what I really should have said about trail repairs is it's much easier to stand on a one piece wheel and smack it with a double jack when you bend a rim than trying to do the same on the loose side of a split.:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom