North Face Mountain Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do any of you fella's know if the NF mountain light and mountain jacket pant system are still made? I have looked on there website and can't find it anywhere. I'm talking about the traditional one in NF yellow with black trim. I have always wanted one and my current winter jacket is close to the end of its useful life so I had started looking but it seems to be no where to be found.

I've had one for several years and still use it in the field when needed during SAR missions and training. I think you'll have better luck getting them off eBay. I recently bought a new one for my wife.

Thanks fella's looks like for what I want I'm gonna have to go ebay.

Pretty sure that model has gone the way of the Dodo. I have a Mountain Guide jacket that has been going strong for 7 years or so. It's a little heavier duty.

I work for W.L. Gore and we make the shell fabric used in the Mountain Light jacket - GORE-TEX(r) Fabric. The Mountain Light is made in Bangledesh. TNF has a rigorous QA process for all their products. In addition, we have a manufacturing specification which the factory must follow. The workers in bangledesh do a first rate job, and the finished product carries both the TNF and Gore warrenty. The Mountain Light is still made, and it's a great product. My son and I were just on the River Shiver, and the outerwear in my bag was a TNF GORE-TEX(r) Shell. It's good stuff.

I've heard (no confirmation) that a lot of the TNF stuff on Ebay is fake from China.

I don't know about Ebay, but I know for a fact you can buy truck loads of North Face and other big brand knock offs here in Kosovo. Buyer beware.

I know TNF is a good brand, but have you checked out Arcteryx. I think you will find them to be of superior quality and fit. I worked in an outdoor shop for a long time. Depending on what you are tying to accomplish, Looks vs functionality I think you can do much better with either Arcteryx or Mountain Hardware. Both are articulated and use Gore Tex XCR. You can also get them with waterproof zippers.
I would check on ebay, and sierra trading post. You can probably save 100-250 off retail on the internet.
Also, Arcteryx is handmade in barnaby canada and they originated seam lamination in shells to avoid stich weight and busted seams, which is very diffacult to duplicate. I have had the Alpha SV for more than five years, and it has made it through some serious hikes, as well as several climbing expeditions. While TNF will warrenty thier work, I have seen many blown seems. Both of these companies top of the line shells are Outside magizine and Backpacker Magizine Editors choice. something that is rare with any TNF product nowadays.

www.Arcteryx.com
www.mountainhardware.com

Either way, don't spend more than 300.00, you should be able to get one for 200 or less. If not pm me and i can check it out for you.

Was it always made there? I have a Kichatna jacket made in china and it came directly from TNF.

The Kichatna jkt is what I had on my River Shiver trip. Great product. Made in China as you say. Kichatna is 3L, Mtn Light is 2L, different mfg setups, different factories. Different products, made in different places.

I know TNF is a good brand, but have you checked out Arcteryx. I think you will find them to be of superior quality and fit. I worked in an outdoor shop for a long time. Depending on what you are tying to accomplish, Looks vs functionality I think you can do much better with either Arcteryx or Mountain Hardware. Both are articulated and use Gore Tex XCR. You can also get them with waterproof zippers.
I would check on ebay, and sierra trading post. You can probably save 100-250 off retail on the internet.
Also, Arcteryx is handmade in barnaby canada and they originated seam lamination in shells to avoid stich weight and busted seams, which is very diffacult to duplicate. I have had the Alpha SV for more than five years, and it has made it through some serious hikes, as well as several climbing expeditions. While TNF will warrenty thier work, I have seen many blown seems. Both of these companies top of the line shells are Outside magizine and Backpacker Magizine Editors choice. something that is rare with any TNF product nowadays.

www.Arcteryx.com
www.mountainhardware.com

100% agreement. Arcteryx has some great gear (my wife has a Arcteryx goretex shell, fleece jacket and backpack) and I would choose Arcteryx over NF anyday. Intregal Designs has some nice stuff also. I have quite a bit of their gear and have never been disapointed. Made in Alberta and nice folks to boot. Only draw back is I don't think you are going to pick up any of there stuff in the bargain bin.

http://www.integraldesigns.com/

I know TNF is a good brand, but have you checked out Arcteryx. I think you will find them to be of superior quality and fit. I worked in an outdoor shop for a long time. Depending on what you are tying to accomplish, Looks vs functionality I think you can do much better with either Arcteryx or Mountain Hardware.

Either way, don't spend more than 300.00, you should be able to get one for 200 or less. If not pm me and i can check it out for you.

Does Arcteryx do a zip in lining for these types of jackets. Functionality is definately what I am looking for here not a fashion statement. Just always liked NF and have never heard anything bad about them. My winter coat is now about 10 years old and just isn't cutting it anymore. I want something that I use that will withstand hiking, wheeling, and still be presentable to wear to work but with what I do I want it to be able to withstand whatever weather is occuring at the time. Anymore info you can provide would be appreciated.

no you do not want a zip in liner if you are going for function. Zip in liners create a cold spot in the worst possible place. A front line right of the center of your jacket. Here is how this works in alpinism. Get a bomber highly water resistent fleece with wind protection. This is your main winter jacket. You can get them in several thickness's. this will take you everywhere. Now that you have the insulation part squared away, you need to work on the exterior shell protection. The shell is designed to protect from the elements, allow for full articulation and movment, trap/vent heat. If you were summiting a mountain, you would wear and extra thick base layer, possible a mid layer and a shell, when the temp drops you would put a down jacket/suit on to cover your shell. sounds backward, but try taking your shell off at -40 degrees, to put on a big fluffy jacket when you can't even breath enough to think straight.

The other benefits is the Shell can be worn in the middle of summer in 100 + weather because it is vented. So the fleece should keep you warm, the shell should keep you dry. If you use both you will be toasty, and can vent the armpits easily if you get to hot. also the double zippers do not allow for full articulation/movement. They actually restrict it.

The Kichatna jkt is what I had on my River Shiver trip. Great product. Made in China as you say. Kichatna is 3L, Mtn Light is 2L, different mfg setups, different factories. Different products, made in different places.

I knew the 2 vs 3l difference. Thanks for the clarification :cheers:

Here is how this works in alpinism.

Easy Messner, he said "hiking and wheeling", not Everest.

The zip in fleece worked well for me over the years as well and TNF's still has compatible stuff. The guy at TNF store told me he wasn't sure if they were getting any more Mountain lite stuff.

I walked in there, looked at some prices and walked out. I think they've gone over too far on the "street gear" side.

Easy Messner, he said "hiking and wheeling", not Everest.

I think they've gone over too far on the "street gear" side.

Kinda what I was thinking but not gonna say. Everest ain't in the plans, maybe if I was younger and didn't know some of the stuff I know now. Sides dat I always wanted to do K2 not Everest...................:lol:

Yaa the street thing is part of the reason I want the old school mtn light. I know how it was made and its more my style at this point in my life. Not trying to be one of the cool kids anymore. Having kids of your own tends to take that away from you quick as well as your $, time, and any dignity you had as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom