Auxillary lighting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey just curious to see if anybody had pics of their aftermarket light set-ups. Im debating between KC daylighters or a set of Hella lights... have seen a 100 series w/ hellas that looked mighty nice. A friend had KC's when I was in highschool and I remember them to be pretty darn bright.. Any thoughts? Mounting issues? Possible tie-in with high beam switch?

What are you debating. It's like asking if you should get a Hyundai or a Lexus. Get the Hella's 4000's and never look back.

Searching is always a good thing and you'll usually find what you are looking for :) - Best way is to go into the forum you are interested in (i.e. 80s forum) then click on the "Search this Forum" towards the top right.

But here might be a good thread to peruse - 80s front bumper examples, many with aux lighting for ideas

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=77508&highlight=front+bumper

What are you debating. It's like asking if you should get a Hyundai or a Lexus. Get the Hella's 4000's and never look back.

I wouldn't even waste my time searching on this topic. The gentlemen who posted the above quote has forgotten more about lighting than most of us on this board are ever going to know. I.E. follow the advice given to you by cary and you will be happy.

Hella Black Magic. great lights
hella.JPG
Dune lights.jpg

If you are not completely sold on the Hellas or KCs you may want to take a look at Lightforce. I am sold on these being the best built lights money can buy, IMHO. A nice advantage is you can purchase protective lexan covers in various colors for varios off-road driving conditions, including Infrared if you want to drive under Night Vision Goggles. Don't get me wrong, the Hella's are a good light as well. I don't care for the KC's.

http://www.lightforce.com/

Nice article Mot!
-B-

Here, spend 10 min. reading this comparison.

Just a note on this article. With most of the lamps they combined using a pencil beam with a driving lamp. For most people, this is unnecessary and even bad. It creates the hotspot that you see in the middle of their pictures while sacrificing lateral vision which is important (so you can see the deer before it hits the road). Most experienced drivers prefer the combo of fog/driving lamp, and you will generally only see a pencil beam used by off road racers that are running 6-8 lamps, and then only in conjunction with main driving lamps.

A very important factor in looking at lights is looking for a nice even beam, not one that has a bright spot with a splotchy pattern. I believe that MOT runs the Hella HID 4000 driving lamps, one of the gold standards in lighting.

Most experienced drivers prefer the combo of fog/driving lamp, and you will generally only see a pencil beam used by off road racers that are running 6-8 lamps, and then only in conjunction with main driving lamps.

Cary - For the fog/driving lamp combo, which side would each be placed on for best results?

It shouldn't make a difference which side, the lights are only 2-3' apart, which is nothing compared to the area they are projecting.

Cary,

FWIW, I originally mounted one Hella 3000 fog and one Hella 3000 euro driving pattern and reasoned the fog should go directly in front of me on the driver's side. I felt that having the origin of the controlled beam where its light blowback was most controlled (beam gets more and more diffused in fog the further it is from the light) directly in my line of vision was best. Conversely, having the power and a beam with a greater vertical dimension of the driving lamp offset slightly out of my line of vision would similarly minimize blowback when its in use. Definitely splitting hairs but it was all I could come up with at the time.

Made great use of my 3000 fogs and HIR factory beams earlier this week on a 1000 mile trip. Passing someone with their high beams on, then hitting the switches made me frequently wonder how people endure distance night driving with their paltry factory setups.

DougM

Nice article Mot!
-B-

Beo,

I wish I could take the credit for the first person to post it on Mud. ;)

Maybe it should be a part of the lighting FAQ if not already.

cary,

I have the Hella HID driving lights and have run them in the US while visiting last summer, but left them there as well.

I have mounted the Light Force 240's on my rig here now, but have not gotten around to mounting them yet.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom