Sorry to ask stupid hi-lift question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Embarred to even ask this one. But I just got a hi-lift jack sent to me (60" extreme model). I have never had one before. Tested it out without weight on it. Went up just fine. Had to put a lot of pressure on the lever to get it into the down position. Finally it reversed OK. Now I cannot get the lever back into the up position. Pulled on it like crazy, WD40'd, put on my gloves and tried again. It goes up a bit but can't seem to stay up. Should this be so difficult? Or is something wrong. Or am I doing something stupid.

The jack is brand new but it was sent to me UPS without a box by the vendor. Not sure if that might have screwed it up. Any ideas would be appreciated.

My son got the same one for Christmas, and it was a bear the first couple of times with no weight on it. If you load it, they become a whole new beast. Much better with a load on it. And as far as reversing it, they take a little breaking in.

Have fun!!!!!!!

My son got the same one for Christmas, and it was a bear the first couple of times with no weight on it. If you load it, they become a whole new beast. Much better with a load on it. And as far as reversing it, they take a little breaking in.

Have fun!!!!!!!

+1

Hi HB,

Check the "climbing pins" for any nicks or burrs. Also, excessive paint buildup can make them difficult to operate at first. Beyond that...follow the excellent advice above and "break it in".

You may just have to tap on the lever so it will move. I have had to do that a few times.

A few tips, from using mine many times:

* They work totally different with a load on them. Start with something light before trying it on a vehicle.

* Keep them well-oiled. Don't use WD-40, it's good for a few things but it will wash right off. I prefer something Teflon-based like Tri-Flow, but they I also use something like chain lube on the non-moving parts. They rust very quickly if you don't keep them oiled.

* The action and mechanism takes awhile to get broken in and moving smoothly. You might want to consider getting a plastic-faced mallet to tap the up/down lever back and forth, it's pretty stiff.

* Never EVER put any body part in the path of movement of the handle when there is a load on the jack. Many jaws have been cracked by an out-of-control handle, they will kick on you without warning. Be very careful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom