air-down question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
how far do you air down your 60s when going over bad washboard for a long ride? I am taking off to Baja in 10 days, and will be on looong stretches of really bad road. wondering where I'll set my staun-deflators.
On alphalt I run at 45psi...

thanks!
J

X2
Doing the washboard down in Sailine valley, I ran it (relatively) comfortable at 19-20 PSI!
My rig was loaded down like a motha too!

Have fun and post pics!

Chicago

I've heard you can run as low as 9 without locks, but that was on sand. On pavement, probably wouldn't go quite that low. I'd say something in the 15-20 range would probably be a nice ride, and safe.

Last edited:
Jan, I would not go lower than 20-25 if your wanting to clip along. Even 30 would be safer.

Maximum traction you can go down to 15 or lower what ever... But cruising on washboard I would not lower it too much.

Low pressure tires create more heat by sidewall flexing and could blow out. Causing tire failure on the side wall.

I actually DO NOT air down for washboard-especially Mexican washboard... I've been to BAJA a number of times and have driven the vizcaino peninsula with some good frequency.... just try to keep up a steady speed and float over the tops. OME shocks help the most, the low pressure nitrogen seems to love this type of terrain. I usually try and keep it around 35 MPH when I can see ahead, slower when I can't. Dry lake beds, well.... near freeway speeds if vision is good.

just my experience and OP. HTH :)

Jan, I would not go lower than 20-25 if your wanting to clip along. Even 30 would be safer.

Maximum traction you can go down to 15 or lower what ever... But cruising on washboard I would not lower it too much.

Low pressure tires create more heat by sidewall flexing and could blow out. Causing tire failure on the side wall.

i run my 35x12.50x15's at 28-30psi on the street everyday...
good ride and tires wear even.

To start off...I fully admit that there's a lot I don't know. However I can speak to my own experience. I've driven a local long gravel road (middle fork of the snoqualmie river) a number of times, both at "freeway" pressure and aired down. I have 33X10.50's which have a max pressure of 50 psi. I run them at 35 psi for most driving. Higher when fully loaded for the highway portion. On this road, at 35 psi it beats the crap out of me and my passenger (my son). We've aired down to 20 psi, and it's a huge improvement. HUGE. We've aired down to 15 psi, and it's somewhat better than 20, but for gravel washboard roads, not so sure it matters.

HTH.

Ive put a good amount of miles on my tires at 12-15 psi at speeds of up to 55 (going straight) without issue. They are loud though, and you can hear them squeak sometimes when making sharp turns, it sounds cool.

x2 I would only go below 20 for soft sand in long stretches. Stuck on a beach with a rising tide,as low as necessary to get moving;)
On rough roads,25 -30psi soaks up what the suspension cant handle.

I use the Staun deflaters and Im pretty happy with them.
ARB have a new device that airs the tyres down one at a time quickly by unscrewing the valve without allowing it to fall out
It has a gauge on it so you can see how much psi you have.

I have the new arb tool, it is sweet. It keeps the valve stem nice and centered too so you dont have to worry about it going in crooked or anything.

I agree with philos 1. In Baja on paved roads and fully loaded I keep 40-45psi in my BFGs. Driving dirt roads / washboards I drop the air a bit...say 25-30psi. Most of the graded roads are pretty solid and traction isn't a problem. The washboards...build up speed and float over them. It's the occasional rock that may cause the problem...so the 25-30psi. is a bit of a safety net.

\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom