Hiking the AT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For a 2 day ish hike, take a look at the section that goes over Albert Mtn and Standing Indian Mtn. In this section, the trail makes a big horseshoe that is 20-ish miles long and there's a connector trail at each end that connects the horseshoe to the same parking lot (It's near standing indian Camp Ground as I recall). This section has several sizeable peaks and follows the ridgeline the whole way in typical AT fashion. The two highest are Albert Mtn, which has a firetower that you can climb up for even better views, and of course standing indian Mtn. It's my favorite weekend hike because of the views and easy logistics since there's no shuttle. PM me if you need more info.

Hey Gehn - A lot of the NC AT section actually borders TN and makes / parallels the state line. The good thing about this stretch is that is includes the highest point on the entire trail - Clingman's Dome which is 6643 feet and just on the TN side of the trail.

Another good high point that has great views and awesome scenery is the Roan Mountain area - Roan High Knob and Roan Highlands. It's one of my favorite hikes on the AT in NC. There are some cool old Jeep trails up there to explore too. A good map for this section is the AT Map No.2 Moreland Gap to Sams Gap.

Other good links:

Good general home page:
http://www.fred.net/kathy/at.html

General info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Trail

NC specific site:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.774899/k.A6B0/_North_Carolina.htm

Also, a great book to read to get you stoked before the hike is called Appalachian Odyssey by Steve Sherman and Julia Older.

As far as a great NC town to base your operation out of, you can't beat Hot Springs, NC in Madison County. Always hopping with AT hikers and outdoors enthusiasts.

hey gehnner...

unless you're dead set on goin on the AT, pisgah natl park has a bunch of great trails as well, including stuff in/around shining rock wilderness

put a lot of miles on my boots up there, ha ha

malphrus

Another good high point that has great views and awesome scenery is the Roan Mountain area - Roan High Knob and Roan Highlands. It's one of my favorite hikes on the AT in NC.

I love that hike. That is the one I would recommend.

Newfound Gap past Clingman's Dome to the second shelter (might be Coldwater Springs) and back is pretty hard to beat for height and views. It's a pretty good walk about 15 mi each way but if I could do it at 45+yrs with bad boots, out of shape, often on ice, I think you can manage. The shelter is a little down from the ridge on the east side so it's nicely protected if it's cold and windy.
The mountain part of 'Last of the Mohicans was filmed along there.
The first shelter is after about 3 miles of pretty steep climbing and is a good place to eat and recharge for the rest of the jaunt.
b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom