Radiator-Swap 94 into a 97 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

johnny4ever

Test appropriately
Threads
Website
www.popartdavis.com
I am looking to replace my 1997 orig Radiator with the older metal one from a 94.

Reasons: I recently had to have a blown HG replaced. I want to protect that investment by bringing the cooling system back to new.
1. New Rad
2. New Fan Clutch
3. Anything else that needs replacing to refurb the cooling sys.

I have searched and read up on the various threads related to this swap and was wondering if there were any central texas cruiser heads that had done the swap. Im looking for a spotter or someone to yell NO! when I go to do something stupid. I have experience yanking the rad out my 62 before I sold her but I figure that was easier than the 80.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
:banana::banana: you can do it.

I had all the cooling parts from CDan all the hoses, '94 radiator, thermostat, water pump, gasket, etc.. and so much more.I just dont remember any of it right now.
The hardest part was to remove one of the screw right under the battery tray holdin the radiator in place (see the red arrow in the pic)
Radiator_Hoses 0022.JPG
Major Tuned Up 001.jpg
Major Tuned Up 009.jpg

I scoped your thread on this

Part of the reason I want to do this is plastic just bugs me.
My rad is showing those stress discolorations like you see in a plastic tab thats been bent back and forth. I certainly do not want to have it go on a road trip and possibly screw up my expensive HG and valve job.

How different are the radiators other than materials? All the plumbing identical?

How much of a difference will it actually make? For a light wheeler like me does it make since or should I just replace with a new plastic rad? Did I mention I hate plastic?

The 94 is also plastic but of better design and more importantly, about $300 cheaper. It's a plug and play with the old rad.

I'd go E-Fan little more power and fuel economy.

Free's up engine (a little)

Flex-o-Lite makes a darn good QUALITY fan.

Just a thought, and you are right about plastic rad's stay-a-way.

see "would this a good rad?"

Last edited:
I'd go E-Fan little more power and fuel economy.

Free's up engine (a little)

Flex-o-Lite makes a darn good QUALITY fan.

Just a thought, and you are right about plastic rad's stay-a-way.

see "would this a good rad?"

You keep saying stay away from the plastic rad. Toyota OEM has plastic tanks. Consensus is to stay with the toyota rad and go to the 94 brass rad(with plastic tanks). Just keep yer fat asses off the thing and it will last.
Cheers,
Sean

Plastic

I was totally mistaken in my reasoning.
I thought the 94 and back rads were metal.

So far in my searches and in this thread and the recent "Would this be a good rad" thread here https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=139183 it seems there is ONLY one option, the OEM replacement.
Is it really true that there is no overbuilt brass/alum rad available anywhere at any price?

I would be inlcined to wait and spend money elsewhere on the truck instead of replacing a functional radiator.

J

Ron Davis Racing will make you a dandy aluminum custom radiator. IIRC they are around 800 bucks.

Ron Davis Racing will make you a dandy aluminum custom radiator. IIRC they are around 800 bucks.

Are they worth the extra cash? Better and longer lasting than OEM?
Do they do a good job of cooling the 1fzfe?

If I plan on keeping the 80 till it falls apart then perhaps its a good idea.
I just hate the idea of a plastic rad and having seen the pics of explosive oem rads its just nagging me.

Thanks again for the input.

J

Factory rad will last, and last and last. Carelessly put your knee on the tank a few times and you'll shorten its life. I'd go OEM as best.

DougM

$793 for the smart shopper! :D

Are they worth the extra cash?

J

I guess so; basically you are paying around $400 to eliminate the plastic!

Better and longer lasting than OEM?

J

I think so, I mean plastic is pretty flimsy in my oldminded opinion, I'd have to and also hate to say that the rad is really the ONE thing that sticks out as cut-corner to me throughout these rigs; everything else seems so top of the line. Now on the other hand, I'm being a bit harsh cause my stock rad has never failed me, but, again, anyone who purchases the Ron Davis Racing version for the 80 is essentially paying around $400 to eliminate the plastic parts! Just gotta get honest about it.

Do they do a good job of cooling the 1fzfe?

J

Yes for sure! Better than the stocker, I cannot answer that til this summer when I'm really running the rig really hard. But I have heard from three friends that have them on their 80's (although normally aspirated) that this summer will show some super satisfying results. We'll see. HTH. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Buy a KOYO and put an oem cap on it. Nobody will be able to tell it from an OEM 93/94 radiator. I compared mine to the OEM and they're identical except for the stamp on top. Mine's been great.:)

Excellent info.

Im definately going OEM.

Im not going to be racing:lol: .
I will just read and digest all I can in the various rad swap threads on what benefit switching to the 94 rad has if any.

Thanks to all.

What does original 1997 equipment go for these days Dan?
Shopping list.
1. Radiator
2. T-Stat
3. Water Pump

John

Buy a KOYO and put an oem cap on it. Nobody will be able to tell it from an OEM 93/94 radiator. I compared mine to the OEM and they're identical except for the stamp on top. Mine's been great.:)

How long have you been running the KOYO? What was the cost?

Thanks
J

I put it in the 93 the first week of August last year. I was going to go OEM, but a deal came up I couldn't pass up. It cost me $175 + change shipped. One time deal on ebay. Haven't seen one before or since in that price range. There's quite a few people on here running them. All are happy from what I've seen. If you search Koyo + radiator you'll see 1/2 a dozen threads where they come up. I got everything else but the fan clutch from CDan. :)

I have a93 with 130K on it and my top tank cracked a couple weeks back. My understanding of the differences in the years was number of core rows. The 93s and 94's have 3 rows. 2 row on 95+ I went back with non OEM and feel fine with it. I honestly couldn't tell them apart aside from some very minor things. I think It was a KOYO as well. I had to pay about 250 for it. But they did the install for 1 hours labor and I know it took them a good 2-3. I also went oem on all the hoses and what not. Checked the PHH while they were under there just in case.

Kevin

I went back with non OEM and feel fine with it. I honestly couldn't tell them apart aside from some very minor things. I think It was a KOYO as well.
Kevin

This thread was started as a result of my misunderstanding that a 1994 Rad was all metal. The only reason I wanted to swap rads was to gain a "full metal jacket". I may just chance it with the one I have and replace with OEM when the time comes.

I absolutely DO NOT want to sacrifice quality simply to satisfy my need to de-plastisize my rad.

Thanks again for all the input.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom