Exhaust Resonator Relocation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While working out some details on my Wife's LX450, She wished the low hanging resonator and tailpipe away. She was advised (after searching) there might be a whistle, "like a turbo", and the resonator was removed...a few weeks later she wished the resonator back...

So after a little looking and quality garage time I made this bracket that relocates the resonator to the spare tire side of the frame rail, tucked up and hopefully out of the way. It is bolted to the frame useing two of the spare tire carrier bolt holes and one of the original resonator mounting holes also used by the Slee bumper brace. The resonator could have been mounted a bit more foreward to allow the exhaust pipe to exit in the original location but Over the frame rail. I chose a more centered exit, we'll see how it works out. The exhaust note is back to normal, the Wife is happy, so Earth is safe once again.

With more creativity I think a resonator and a spare tire might share the same area...
P1010001.JPG
P1010002.JPG
P1010003.JPG

My LX came with a self-clearancing resonator that magically moves itself upward every time I go wheeling.

Nice handiwork, BTW -- let us know how it works on the trail.

I am impressed how much that little thing muffles the noise.

No kidding. I lopped mine off figuring my Magnaflow muffler was killing any sound deadening the resonator was doing. Wrong - 75mph is a mind numbing exhaust drone now.

No kidding. I lopped mine off figuring my Magnaflow muffler was killing any sound deadening the resonator was doing. Wrong - 75mph is a mind numbing exhaust drone now.

that is why they invented stereo...just put on a favorite and turn it up

I concur with Dusty could you please post up pics from the rear of were the tip is exiting the vehicle. I do like the ground clearance you have given yourself there, mine is also a self raising resonator. Getting closer to the bottom of my truck every time I take the rig out.........lol

The exhaust exit location is a compromise leaning toward damage control. The tip ends just foreward of the bumper and cross brace, if hit from below it will not be crushed, hopefully the rubber mount at the resonator will let it bounce back. If the tip is hit from the rear I hope it moves up or bends at the 45 deg angle instead of pushing the whole system foreward. The bumper/crossbrace area thins towards the center so the exhaust tip, while still under the rig (I know, I know) is as close as possible to the outside world.
P1020001.JPG
P1020002.JPG

Not bad at all, should do nicely unless you rock back into an obstacle that catches it just right. All in all I likey......................:cheers:

I like it. nice work!

I guess you turn the engine off when hooking up a trailer?

I could have told you that... magnaflow is the king of drone. I had one on my previous car and immediately had to get a resonator put on.

I didn't like my magnaflow either, I know have a cherry bomb turbo as a resonator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom