axle question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Local junkyard has 94 4Runner. Will rear diff fit in my 87 p'up axle that I plan on installing in my 85 4runner? I have heard all v6's were 4.56. What is gear ratio? Will complete axle assembly fit. I have also heard that on solid axle mini's that the front & rear diff's are interchangable is this true?

Diff will not work. You could use the entire axle, but the 94 Runner has coil springs, so you would have to cut off the coil buckets and weld on spring perches (assuming you're running leaf springs). R&P selection is much more scarce (and expensive) for that diff as well.

Front and rear diffs are interchangeable on solid axle trucks.

Diff will not work. You could use the entire axle, but the 94 Runner has coil springs, so you would have to cut off the coil buckets and weld on spring perches (assuming you're running leaf springs). R&P selection is much more scarce (and expensive) for that diff as well.

Dude... I think you need to re-read his post.

A V6 DIFFERENTIAL (not the axle) will bolt right into an '87 rear axle housing. As for the ratio, there are several choices that the factory put in the 2nd gen 4Runners: 1:4.10, 1:4.56, and 1:4.88. You can look at the VIN tag on the firewall to read the axle code and get the ratio, or if the diff is already pulled out, just count the teeth.

The only diff that has an odd R&P is the 4.88's, they are weird, different carrier too. I don't think there's any lockers available for it. Unless you want to stick to this ratio forever, I would avoid it. But for the others, there are plenty of choices for R&P ratios.

Not if the 87(what?) is a 2wd.

any other what ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^said

My formula is (79-95 only 2MK)

aw, forget it to detailed and to much can "ReQuired Reading" be put into FAQ
Newbies sticky thread etc.

REQUIRED READING::::L.C enginering, Downey, Toyota truck and LC owners bible, NorthWest off-road specialties, A.Adapters Buyers Guid (F*R*E*E*) ah.....Chilton's manual 2, 70-88 and 88-96? FSM's get'em......

ALL 8" centers have the same bolt pattern

2wd is 7.5"

V6 is 33% bigger, heavyduty

Buy the 4r rear then buy another one cheaper than regearing.

put one in the frount diff

go wheelin' with your cheap HD 4.56's

tell ever one you know this with any luck you WILL NOT be able to buy another one ever again

P.S you might need the 2" you are doing away with to get between an obstical for that IFS rear mod.

Last edited:
I think we need to ask Woody to install a translation engine on the server, so we can understand your posts. :confused:

Local junkyard has 94 4Runner. Will rear diff fit in my 87 p'up axle that I plan on installing in my 85 4runner? I have heard all v6's were 4.56. What is gear ratio? Will complete axle assembly fit. I have also heard that on solid axle mini's that the front & rear diff's are interchangable is this true?

Don't go assuming because you heard some BS word of mouth that all v6's had 4.56. You MUST READ THE AXLE CODES. I pulled G144 which are 4.88's to use in mine and my dad's 4runner. They came from a '92-'95, 31" tire equipped, v6 automatic. '92-'95 Trucks/4runners equipped with 31" tires, v6 and manual had 4.56 gears. Older v6's had anywhere from 4.30-4.56. Just read the axle codes.

most likely if it were a v6 automatic, it had the 4.87 gear ratio- this will work in a early model axle housing.

KLF is correct, there is no aftermarket support for this 3rd member, you will onlybenefit from the lower ratio... NO traction adding devices (detroit, trutrac,ARB, Etc)

and yes the same third will fit in the "7.5" housing, only the third member is smaller.... been there done that.

The ignore button does work, you dont have to translate gibberish that has no place/merit in a tech forum.

Last edited:
Not if the 87(what?) is a 2wd.

any other what ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^said

My formula is (79-95 only 2MK)

aw, forget it to detailed and to much can "ReQuired Reading" be put into FAQ
Newbies sticky thread etc.

REQUIRED READING::::L.C enginering, Downey, Toyota truck and LC owners bible, NorthWest off-road specialties, A.Adapters Buyers Guid (F*R*E*E*) ah.....Chilton's manual 2, 70-88 and 88-96? FSM's get'em......

ALL 8" centers have the same bolt pattern

2wd is 7.5"

V6 is 33% bigger, heavyduty

Buy the 4r rear then buy another one cheaper than regearing.

put one in the frount diff

go wheelin' with your cheap HD 4.56's

tell ever one you know this with any luck you WILL NOT be able to buy another one ever again

P.S you might need the 2" you are doing away with to get between an obstical for that IFS rear mod.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5777839083696426548&q=land+cruiser

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom