Snake Oil or useful? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Coolerman

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.globalsoftware-inc.com
:confused: About to place an order from $or for some parts and ran across this thing. First thought, was Cool! allows you to see color of coolant and it filters all the crap out of the block at the same time.

Then my pessimist side kicked in and said, Hmmmm nothing like being out in the boonies and a freak rock or stick breaks it and there you sit with no coolant in the engine....

A quick search turned up a couple of alternatives that are stronger but are not see thru. Thoughts?
054-85A-big.jpg

If you want to run a coolant filter, I'd get one that is not easily breakable.

I have used those for years and they are great! I LOVE being able to see what my coolant level is without pulling the cap. I can also watch while burping the system and tell when I've cleared the air. I have the screen for the heater core as well and I filtered out a LOT of crap that would have stuck there. Money well invested.

where does the coolant filter attach in the system??

lunyou

Goes in the hose from the top of the thermostat housing to the radiator on the DS.

IMO, waste of money. If you want to see the color of your coolant, just remove the radiator cap from time to time, like at every oil change. You don't need to check your coolant on a daily basis. If the cooling system is bad enough to need filtering, then it should be flushed out instead.

The only advantage I could see adding this device is if you were trying to clean up a very neglected cooling system. You could flush the system, add this device, pour in new coolant and then monitor to determine if you needed to flush/refill again down the road. But I wouldn't leave it installed long term.

It does say to install it in the upper radiator hose so if you did that, rocks and unidentified flying objects shouldn't cause a problem.

i fyou like to see your coolant go for it,
i have yet to have a problem, so i would buy something cooler

I have used those for years and they are great! I LOVE being able to see what my coolant level is without pulling the cap. I can also watch while burping the system and tell when I've cleared the air. I have the screen for the heater core as well and I filtered out a LOT of crap that would have stuck there. Money well invested.

Great! That's all I needed to hear, I can always protect the glass thing with a shield or something. :beer:

BTW the heater hose filter is nothing more than a washing machine hose screen and a garden hose repair kit! Saw the same thing at Lowes last night for about $8.00 total.... :idea:

IMO, waste of money. If you want to see the color of your coolant, just remove the radiator cap from time to time, like at every oil change. You don't need to check your coolant on a daily basis. If the cooling system is bad enough to need filtering, then it should be flushed out instead.

The only advantage I could see adding this device is if you were trying to clean up a very neglected cooling system. You could flush the system, add this device, pour in new coolant and then monitor to determine if you needed to flush/refill again down the road. But I wouldn't leave it installed long term.

It does say to install it in the upper radiator hose so if you did that, rocks and unidentified flying objects shouldn't cause a problem.

I think my system qualifies as a system needing attention. :D Last year I rigged up a flush system and could not believe what came out of the block, radiator and heater cores! Then this week while pulling stuff off the motor to clean and paint it I looked inside the block and head openings and there is still crap in there. The very rough surface from the casting process holds all kinds of crap that will keep coming loose.

I'm going to get the filter. Cheap insurance and hell I like the bling factor! Maybe I'll mount a LED inside the glass thing to light it up at night. :grinpimp:

I like how the guys who've never used these are experts. They don't know what they're missing.

I have caught plenty of crap (metal chunks, bits of silicone) in the year after a thorough flush. Never any leak. You'd have a hard time breaking the thing. I like having the security. Also, since I have a cracked water jacket, I need a close eye on coolant levels until I swap engine blocks. And, it's just fun to watch the coolant circulate and know your thermostat is opening :D.

i can echo IDave. i put one in a number of years ago when i still had an F block filled with barrs (blocks your cooling system) leaks goo in it. i was cleaning goo out of that filter on a regular basis.

if you can tighten a hose clamp, you wont get leaks. it is just as strong as the bib on your radiator.

it has also helped me catch leaks in my radiator as well. once in a while i would see there was air in the top of the hose. i was able to fix a few leaks before they got too bad. after pulling the radiator out of the truck, i was able to find the pinholes. had i not seen i had air in the system, i wouldnt have ever looked.

worth the scratch if you ask me.

i dont have a camera handy, but it goes screen bent toward the radiator on the upper hose near the filler neck. i will try to post a camera phone pic up later.

I guess I am trying to figure out how you would clean the filter if it was clogged without dumping coolant all over the place. The hose to the thermostat would have to be higher than the top of the radiator.

Or do you just loosen the block drain and drain a little out each time you clean the filter?:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom