LX450 Engine & Engine shop - N. Atlanta area? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
Well, after ~ 180k miles, looks like I'm gonna need another engine in the near future. I know the dealership can get one ($4400) and install it, (+$3k) but wondering if there are any other shops close to local?

Front and rear main seals are seeping, and #3,4,and 5 are losing compression (110,90,80psi respectively). Didn't figure it made sense to replace the seals with the compression issues....

Thoughts?

FWIW, I LOVE this truck and can't think of what I could replace it with.

Unfortunately I don't know of any shops - but I'm curious too. I'm up in Charlotte, but would make the trek if there was a good shop in your neck of the woods. Been lucky so far - I've been able to do it all myself. When the time does come though I'd like to take it someplace reputable. Good luck.

Are you a DIY guy?

might want to talk to Dave Dearborn at Urban Land Cruisers, just south of downtown ATL.

Last time I was there (a wile ago) he had a 1FZ from a wrecked 97, not sure if he has it anymore.

188K only? :)

Just curious.... Do you know the history of the car? Has this car been taken care of?

188K only? :)

Just curious.... Do you know the history of the car? Has this car been taken care of?
I bought it at 42k, so yeah, I know the history. Mileage is mostly highway, and lots of it upwards of 80mph. Oil changes ~ 6k (iknowiknow) but always with synthetic oils. Never had any issues, and fluids have been changed pretty frequently, but I'm concerned about them starting. I get it serviced at the toyo dealer, as they're as inexpensive as quick lubes, and stand behind their work a HELLUVA lot better.

You looking for anything specific in the history?

paddlr- oil changes around 6k with synthetic should not be a problem at all, esp. with the type of driving you do.

Oil change 6K with synth or dino is not a problem at all. :)

Urban Land Cruisers is in the Atlanta area -- http://www.urbanlandcruisers.com/

Interestingly enough, he's at $6200 for a used (120k) engine installed. Dealer is $6800 +/-. Probably going to put an oil additive in it to assist with the compression and drive it till it blows, then go with a reman'd engine....

Also, I'm not getting any oil on the ground below the truck (see some on the undercarriage, though), so I'm not incredibly concerned about the front or rear mains...yet.

Last edited:
Seems a little odd. I'm not aware of a 1FZ yet that had to be replaced at this low of a mileage. I would get a second opinion. I believe some guys from Urban Land Cruisers frequent this board and obviously (by the name) they deal with land cruisers quite a bit (probably more than your dealer). I'd venture to say you could trust their opinion on the situation and could evaluate your motor and recommend what you should do.

:beer:
Rookie2

I've shopped around a lot, my 93 has 270k. I don't know if there is an LKQ wrecking yard near you, but I know they are nation wide and ship. I was quoted between $1200 and $1800 for a motor. They ranged in milage from 90k to 150k. Find a mechanic and have them swap it.

Interestingly enough, he's at $6200 for a used (120k) engine installed. Dealer is $6800 +/-. Probably going to put an oil additive in it to assist with the compression and drive it till it blows, then go with a reman'd engine....

Also, I'm not getting any oil on the ground below the truck (see some on the undercarriage, though), so I'm not incredibly concerned about the front or rear mains...yet.

If you post about us please be accurate about the communication we have had. We did not offer to install a used motor for $6200. We offered to install a used short bock with a better warrentee than OEM, a rebuilt head, all new gaskets, new oil pump, new water pump, new timing cover, all new OEM tune up items and all new OEM hoses. With a dealer with you providing your own short block this job would be 9K + For the dealer to do what we quoted with a new OEM short block you will be in well over 11k.

Apples to apples.

If you post about us please be accurate about the communication we have had. We did not offer to install a used motor for $6200. We offered to install a used short bock with a better warrentee than OEM, a rebuilt head, all new gaskets, new oil pump, new water pump, new timing cover, all new OEM tune up items and all new OEM hoses. With a dealer with you providing your own short block this job would be 9K + For the dealer to do what we quoted with a new OEM short block you will be in well over 11k.

Apples to apples.

Sorry David, didn't mean to misrepresent. I was assuming that a used Short block, and rebuilt head is about the same as a rebuilt long block, except the bottom end of the long block would've also been rebuilt. I'm also assuming that the dealer had to have quoted new gaskets, but the oil pum, water pump, and timing cover, as well as the misc hoses, etc may not have been included. Also think the dealers warranty was 3 yrs on the engine, but could've been wrong. I'll be certain to double check. If i'm wrong, it certainly sounds like you've got a better deal. It clearly could've also been a case of intential underbidding...

I've shopped around a lot, my 93 has 270k. I don't know if there is an LKQ wrecking yard near you, but I know they are nation wide and ship. I was quoted between $1200 and $1800 for a motor. They ranged in milage from 90k to 150k. Find a mechanic and have them swap it.

word.......!

[I have done this before, on other rigs, 2000/saab 9.3 turbo and a 1997 535/BMW , and both came out great and I saved $$$$$$....]

But, your situation might cause you to decide otherwise....

In my situation, I have a local guy, who is reliable and can work on anything, european, japanese , whatever....and backs it up, even after you leave...Thats the kind of guy you want working on your rig, brother....someone who will stand by his work know matter what......!

A guarantee is only good in my book if there are no hassles involved...I would also ask what the warrantee covers....in detail

goodluck.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom