early FJ40 series T/case bolt to H55J ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have a 89' landcruiser LJ71 and gradually building parts and dropping them in , i will be building a 13BT that has a H55 gearbox and the T/case that comes with it , but thinking about using the early T/case as like as its a 3 speed case ( far as i know ) , wondering if its possible to blot the early 3 speed case to a H55 gearbox ? any disadvantages ?

they could fit together, but you would need a Bandierante adapter which there are 3 known in the US, and the drive input gear is also a question mark.

why?

the split case is far better design....

Rick, what does the Bandy adapter do? Adapt from what to what?

The same question dude .. I never know about this adapter ..

Rick, what does the Bandy adapter do? Adapt from what to what?

It is a casting that closed the rear section of the H55 off, and creates a mounting surface for the one-piece transfer case to mate and attach.

As Rick points out, there is a non-existent special 19 spline input gear that will be needed to use the three speed, or four speed, one-piece transfer case,(three speed/four speed transfer case is a name given to the transfer case that was behind the three speed or four speed transmission), since the earlier three speed transmission output shaft was 10 spline and the four speed was 16 spline.

It was a piece used by the folks that made the Bandierante, so that they could use a modified one-piece transfer case with the later model transmissions.

Just a little more trivia on this…

The later one-piece case that was used behind the Bandierante was the model used to make the Orion cast iron transfer case housing. ;)

the split case is far better design....

Agree 100%.

:beer:

yea, what cramer said.....

the weird 5 speeds on bandierantes have cast iron top plates and this conversion plate like steve describes.

...also another note, the 21 spline bandy input shaft is the shortest (I think 6.5")
of any input shaft.

redrock aka gregory has one of these beasts.

oh so , the early case is a 2 speed t/case and not a 3 speed , but was called a 3 speed because the gearbox that came infront of it was ?

Correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom