no fuel getting to rail; pump works (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i just put in rebuilt fuel injectors, replaced the FPR and fuel filter. now my truck won't start. the fuel pump works, there is fuel getting to the filter, but somehow there is no fuel getting up into the rail. i pulled a couple of spark plugs and put a little fuel in there and got the truck to fire up for a second. which leads me to a couple of questions:

1. what might cause the fuel rail to be dry?
2. why would fuel not get from the filter up to the rail?
3. what exactly does the diaphragm (the one that holds the fuel line onto the rail next to the firewall) do?

nope. got the flanged end facing down. keep em comin'

1. Kinked line up to the rail?

2. Banjo bolt offset enough to stop the flow?

3. Washers on banjo bolts offset enough to stop the flow?

4. That little piece of tape you put on the end of the rail to prevent dirt dumping in there? :D

Hey, you said keep em comin!

1. line is open (i know cause i checked it 50 times to be sure)

2. banjo bolt huh? do those have to sit in a certain spot?

3. washers not hitting anything

4. no tape. but the rail does look brand new now.

there is nothing from the filter other then the metal pipe in between the rail.
Would be hard to screw that up. Are you sure there is no fuel in the rail?
if you loosen a banjo on the filter side of the pipe does fuel come out?

i loosened the banjo on the back side of the filter and fuel came squirting out. i also loosened (then took out) the banjo that holds the line running up to the cold start injector; turned the ignition on and no fuel came out.

i'm really at a loss. the fuel delivery system is not that complicated. maybe someone can point out that stupid oversight i made??

time for bed. 6 AM is coming soon. any late night thoughts will be greatly appreciated come tomorrow.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but don't most EFI fuel systems get their signal from the starter or the MAF before they pump fuel? It could be that the system just isn't primed yet.

I could be wrong, but don't most EFI fuel systems get their signal from the starter or the MAF before they pump fuel? It could be that the system just isn't primed yet.

Yea but there is the fuel up to the filter; I'm convinced there's something stuck in the filter ... he says it gets to the first banjo bolt but not to the second. :cheers:

i loosened the banjo on the back side of the filter and fuel came squirting out. i also loosened (then took out) the banjo that holds the line running up to the cold start injector; turned the ignition on and no fuel came out.

JHFJ80,

I think the banjo bolts could be your problem. Remember they are made to go in a certain distance, and you must have the washers installed correctly (one on top and one on bottom).

Also remember a general rule of wrenching: If you have a new issue after doing a job than you ever experienced before, it is generally something that can be traced to your procedure.

With this rule in mind, I wouldn't be comcerned about the computer and all that unless you had issues with it before.

If you do not get the bolt screwed in just the right way, your "fuel passage" will be "turned off" just like a water spiggot when it is truned off.

It is possible to get the bolt in too far, or not far enough causing the fuel to be shut off from the rail.

The one at the back end of the fuel rail is accessable from the top with the intake and all in place. You'll need a ratchet with a 12" extension and a shallow 17mm socket.

The one at the fuel filter will need to be accessed from the bottom. I have never tried that, so I can't tell you how to do it.

When I took mine off, I used a small file to file marks on the head of the bolt to mark where the fuel passage is, making it easy to see if it's lined up properly on re-assembly. I also taped the washers in place and put all the parts in a baggie to help identify what goes where. Each baggie was labeled with a sharpie.

(for my engine job I used 80-90 baggies)

If fuel comes out both sides of the filter it would be obsrtucted fuel line after the filter. Or the washers for the bolts are not on correct. Bolt-washer-connector-washer-filter. That will put the bolt in the correct place on the filter.

alright, just got home from work and saw some replies. i'm gonna go check the second banjo at the top of the fuel filter to make sure there's gas getting thru there. and the bolt at the back of the fuel rail has a housing on top of it (some sort of diaphragm i think?) which prevents using a socket. gotta go find a bent wrench so i can take that off, or loosen it, without removing the intake (again).

all connections have proper 2 washer setup. i will follow DTAYLOR's lead and mark the holes on the banjos. will post results. thanks again fellas.

You put in a new FPR. I seem to recall either that the thing is round and could easily be installed backwards, or that the fuel connections were identical and the lines could be swapped. Also, did you try putting the old one back on?

DougM

doug the FPR is round, but it really can't be installed backwards. there is only one hole to connect a fuel line to and one vacuum line.

i have confirmed fuel coming out of the top of the filter, which tells me the problem lies in that couple of feet between there and the back of the rail. now waiting for my short wrench to make it home so i can test the diaphragm at the back of the fuel rail.

Unless you got something in the pipe not much to go bad there.

Last edited:
ok my short wrench got here and i pulled the part. apparently it's the "fuel damper." before i pulled it completely, i cranked the truck and a lot of gas gushed out of it. so i know fuel is getting at least to the back of the rail. i'll do some searching about the damper now.

ok my short wrench got here and i pulled the part. apparently it's the "fuel damper." before i pulled it completely, i cranked the truck and a lot of gas gushed out of it. so i know fuel is getting at least to the back of the rail. i'll do some searching about the damper now.

Had a fuel damper stop a 85 Celica one time.:D Yeah it was frustrating the first time I had to diagnose one. Does your fuel system have problems w/rust? Had that kill the Celica. And the injectors.....

I dont see any post about injectors not firing.
Can you comfirm that the injectors are firing?

Check all your grounds!! The injectors have thier own ground wires.
Ckeck your harness for loose ends...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom