will it only last 300K (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just read a thread that said "yea man but it will last 300,000 miles" this was a disussion about the 4.5l engine...my heart sank. I love this new truck of mine and i don't want it to last 300,000 miles I want it to last 1,000,000 or more. It already had 139k on it when I bought it.

what is the average milage on a fj60 do we have cruisers out there with 1,000,000 miles on them?

Last edited:
I just read a thread that said "yea man but it will last 300,000 miles" this was a disussion about the 4.5l engine...my heart sank. I love this new truck of mine and i don't want it to last 300,000 miles I want it to last 1,000,000 or more. It already had 139k on it when I bought it.

what is the average milage on a fj60 do we have cruisers out there with 1,000,000 miles on them?

IIRC, there is enough material in the block to rebuild at least two or three times, so if you just get 300k per rebuild, you will get at least 900k out of it, with the original engine.

Last edited:
ok so with rebuilds at 300k we can get 900K out of a block. What is the most milage that we heard of on and fjz80 to date, original engine or not?

The average mileage on a FJ60 is rather vague. There are 60's that have gone through engine swaps, engine rebuilds, and the whole nine yards.
Do we have Cruisers out there with 1 million miles on them? Eh... Maybe a 40 series. But lets be realistic here.

Think about it.... 1 million miles. Hypothetically, if there was a 1974 FJ40 with one million miles, the FJ40 would have to do 30,303 miles a year. That is a lot of miles in a FJ40 and a lot of miles for the driver. How many people dd their 40? Not too many. And to put 30,303 miles on a FJ40 a year :rolleyes:

Wouldn't this be in 60 series tech? Or do you mean a 80 series?

ok point well taken. I guess I just don't like thinking about my 80's engine being half way to the grave.

I was just using fj60 as and example as I dought there are many 80 with 1 million miles on them.

ok point well taken. I guess I just don't like thinking about my 80's engine being half way to the grave.

I was just using fj60 as and example as I dought there are many 80 with 1 million miles on them.

Land Cruisers never see the grave unless the owner allows them to go there. ;)

Think about it. You drive roughly 10k miles a year. You have awhile left. Mines a 96 and has 131k. Thats almost 12k miles a year for me so to 300k Im lookin at another 14 years or so. Hell Ill love to have it that long if nobody hits me and totals it first. Then Ill just get another one.

thanks man, makes me feel better.

My wife bought her 93 with 190000 on it 7 years ago it now has 307000 and still running strong. Compression test avg 150 psi per cylinder. From what we understand it towed around a horse trailer quite often before we bought it. I have not been that nice to it since we had it but have not abused it either I drive it the way it was meant to be driven. Keep up on the PM and you should be fine.

A buddy of mine just bought a one-owner, one engine 60 (diesel) with 580,000kms on it.

Dude, you bought a Toyota. You can sleep easy.

IIRC, there is enough material in the block to rebuild at least two or three times, so if you just get 300k per rebuild, you will get at least 900k out of it, with the original engine.

And to make you feel even better when you run out of material to bore you can over bore the cylinder, put a sleeve in and then you are back to the original displacement and can start the cycle over again. FYI my 60 went 230,000 before I parked it with plans to restore it. When I got my 80 it had about 143,000 two years ago and yesterday rolled 180,000 and is going strong.

........Do we have Cruisers out there with 1 million miles on them? Eh... Maybe a 40 series. But lets be realistic here.

There is a couple, Emil and Liliana Schmid, who have taken their 60 WELL over 1 million miles. They have been traveling since 1984 in the same 60 and have covered the world. The Cruiser has set rubber on every continent, and in almost every country.

I'm sure that they are not the only ones.

P.S. Sorry, forgot to address the issue. If cared for, your 80 will last well over 300k miles. Most Cruiser owners that have already reached 200k miles, claim that their Cruiser is just broken in. I know that my Cruiser at 115k miles, feels brand new. I plan on getting over 500k miles in mine, if not 1 million.

Personally I'd be more worried about the little things going wrong, my 92 has 200,000k on it and I have zero worries about the engine. However fabric and plastic are a different story and actually can start to really add up. Wires dry out, seats wear, all the little plastic "dodads" start to wear and break...yes everything is available but these things all start to go at the same time. So unless slowly "rebuilding" is in the cards the truck starts to look worn more than actually being worn. Honestly it's the main reason we're thinking about trading my 92 for a 97.

hmm, I agree, 300k too low an estimate..

I thought at 225k I needed to put in new rings and bearings, so when I got it all apart and saw that everything that should be worn, or at least have signs of wear, look brand new, I was amazed, and encouraged.

So since I drive mine likeI stole it most of the time, and periodically loan it to my either of my older sons (who tear up more cars than a couple of NASCAR teams in the last 40 laps of Daytona), I was thinking wearing it out would be closer to 500k than 300k.

I think I am good to go till I hit a million, or close to it.:D

I figure by the time I have to worry about a new engine, the best replacement option will likely be a hydrogen fuel cell. I'd imagine they'll be very torquey when coupled with the right DC motor.

My bro in law's 93 which I now do the maintenance on, has 315,000 on it and has had average care. Everything works, no broken trim or missing knobs. They have a 2007 BMW but drove the 80 to CA (3000 miles round trip) in June without a thought because they wanted the space. This coming June, they'll drive it to Houston for a family wedding. These things just keep on running until either hit, or neglected so badly something major breaks.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom