Test drove an 80 for the first time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bluedog

SILVER Star
Threads
I have been on the hunt for an 80 series for a while now and have been a lurker on this board for some time. I finally test drove a 95 with 99,997 miles on it for the first time today.

I do have a question or two. Since I haven't driven a 1995 model year car since my 95 GTI, I was hoping the members here could help confirm what my driving impressions rell me are normal for a 12 year old truck.

Keep in mind, I'm not asking this truck to act like my GTI or Tundra.

1. this truck is big (and I drive a double cab Tundra).
2. Even a 95 doesn't have a lot of pep.
3. This truck is a "Cruiser" made to travel at a moderate speed forever.
4. It feels like I need more pressure on the gas pedal to make it go.

Thanks,

B

Correct, but the hood seemed longer. Could just be me.

B

Sounds right. Remember that most newer cars have much faster throttle tip in when makes them "feel" faster because the car jumps when you give it a little gas.

You forgot #5

5. Where are the damn cup holders? :)

Using midgrade or even premium gas should give a noticible increase in power. I got my 80 about a month ago and tried midgrade last fillup. I think there's a little more pep, but I haven't driven it enough yet to say for sure. The 80 owner's manual says use Octane rating 87 or higher. I always used premium in my FJ-40 and FJ-60 because that's what the owner's manual recommended. There was an obvious increase in power in those trucks with premium. I've talked to other to FJ-60 owner's who said they wish it had more pep and the problem was they were putting regular gas in in.

My work truck is a ford f250 4X4 crew cab short bed diesiel. My 80 feels like a toy compared to the pick up. my truck can barely do a u-turn in my culdesac where I can do a u turn in my driveway with my 80. You can park an 80 in any spot and still have room to get out. I think it feels big because of the ceiling height

My wifes 98 Lx 470 gets up and goes with the V8 but when she drives my 80 she doesnt notice the differance in power because she cruises. She used to drive so fast it worried me with the kids some times but she drives differantly now.

Differant frame of mind I guess

Brett
78' fj 40 , 92' fj80, 96' fj80
98' lx470, 2002 F250 4x4

Correct, but the hood seemed longer. Could just be me.

B

The hood in the 80 seems long to me too... could be that the old school straight sixes are longer than modern V-8s..

I'm back with the Cruiser for now cause, it ..uhm... makes me slowww down...:whoops:

The turning radius is much appreciated.

This rig has two more cup holders and more pep than my 4cyl S-10 did. It's all about what you came from.....

Two? I've got one and what can best be described as 'change' holder that sort of will hold a can of pop ;p My '99 non-Toyota DD had 5.

I'm continually amazed that a vehicle with an original MSRP of $50K + is so 'cup holder' challenged while at the same time knowing how well they got most everything else right :D

You forgot #5

5. Where are the damn cup holders? :)

I noticed that after driving it, I can probably deal with it. I think I will take her home.

I noticed that after driving it, I can probably deal with it. I think I will take her home.

MINOR incovenience not worth passing up a nice 80 for :D

There are aftermarket solutions including putting a cup holder dealyo in the slot above the radio (whatever that was for anyway). I'm also looking at other solutions to appease the family.

No cup holders mean no drink stains in your carpet, unless of course you still try to put drinks in those awkward holes! They were just trying to keep your interior nice!! :D
-TT

......I think I will take her home.

Now you're talking!! Even with some of it's "flaws" (I used that term loosely, and not my opinion), you still want to take her home. Gotta love the 80!!

Once you start driving it, it's "bigness" will soon fade away. You will realize that, for the amount of interior space and the way it handles, the 80 series feels nice and compact.

She is mine. The dealer has a few things to do so, I'll pick her up in a few days.

Don't judge her by the brush guard and gold emblems, they will be taken care of soon enough.

FZJ80front.jpg

FZJ80rear.jpg

B.

VERY nice!!

Congrats!! :)

For starters, time to order the OME shocks and springs, ARB Bullbar and the Kaymar rear bumpers :))

Good job!

There are probably a number of common things which can make the truck more sluggish than when it rolled off the lot, but the biggest thing is that the world has gone HP-crazy. If you don't put out 10+ more HP than last year's model, you're considered a loser against the competition.

My wife's Odyssey has the same engine as the Acura MDX. To which I say... "no, thanks, 'cause the gas mileage sucks and I hardly ever need to get between stoplights that fast anyway."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom