Found Green 40th!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a green 40th yesterday with 94k and in almost new condition. My '96 has 157k and I would have to invest a bit of time and money to have her in the same condition as the '97. Both have the factory lockers and are pretty much identical except the mileage, color and of course the 40th package. I have put a bit of love into the '96 but at 63k less on the clock I don't know if I would miss her if I gave her up. I guess I'm asking, what would you do?

They are asking KBB which is $17k. It is a Toyota dealership but that doesn't mean that they know what they have. The FJ Cruiser is the closest thing that they have had to a LC until now.

Do the math. Is 63K less miles equal in value to the difference in what you would give for the 40th and get for the 1996? If there is a big gap, is the 40th package worth it to YOU?

If you plan on staying with an 80 for as long as possible, get the low-mileage 97. Get them down on price and then have them throw in some preventative maintenance.

Good luck.

The lower mileage is what is drawing me to the '97 more than the 40th badge. The interior and body/paint are nearly flawless. As far as sticking with the 80, I would rather drive my 11 yr old LC than my wifes new '07 Suburban. I can't see myself without the 80 untill they stop making parts for them.

They are also including a 12mo 12k mile warranty.

I can't see myself without the 80 untill they stop making parts for them.
I hear that!:beer: If you can get them to go 12-13k, that would be an awesome deal!

Have them knock off at least $1k because of the color. :D :beer:

I was going to offer around $12-13k to start.

That sounds reasonable to me. 17k is way high IMO. What are you thinking you can get for yours... IOW, what's your estimated out of pocket differential? The tax part alone will not be insignificant.

:beer:
Rookie2

That sounds reasonable to me. 17k is way high IMO. What are you thinking you can get for yours... IOW, what's your estimated out of pocket differential? The tax part alone will not be insignificant.

Rookie2

No taxes to worry about here. KBB lists trade in value around 8k and retail at 13k. I average 9-10k miles per year. $5k for an extra 63k miles or 6yrs of life doesn't seem too bad. Or does it! I found two similar '97s at Auto trader with 94-95k miles for $13,390. If they can't even come close, I'll just rebuild in another 140k miles.

I think I'll see what they are willing to do and if I am not willing to comply with the $$$ they want, I will stick with my almost completely PM'd trouble free '96. If I don't get the truck I will post location information for it in case someone else wants it.

No taxes to worry about here. KBB lists trade in value around 8k and retail at 13k. I average 9-10k miles per year. $5k for an extra 63k miles or 6yrs of life doesn't seem too bad. Or does it! I found two similar '97s at Auto trader with 94-95k miles for $13,390. If they can't even come close, I'll just rebuild in another 140k miles.

If you're happy with what you've got and have gone through a lot of PM, I'd stick with it. You can do a lot with 5k and at 9 to 10 k miles a year, you've got a while before having to worry about a rebuild.

Rookie2

The Red would be my first choice. Oh yea, it was.

X2.... Red rocks...

FZJ80_1994_600.jpg

Though I do have to apologize for the boards... "Wife rust" has kept them from coming off...

I was going to offer around $12-13k to start.

As a data point I just jumped back into the 80 world with a 97 lx450 with 77k on the clock. I got it for 15.5k.

I think these numbers are still too high. A pristine, low-mileage Cruiser can (and should) be had for around $10k. Even at under 100k miles, a Cruiser shouldn't get more than $12k. I would say that $12k is most I'd pay, and even that seems high. My '97, with only 86k miles, at a Toyota dealership was only $9k. And it is in mint condition, with one previous owner (little old Texas grandma) & all services performed.

But $15,500..............ouch!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom