ARB air or factory electric locker? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking at the new Tacoma online and discovered the only way to get an electric rear locker is to pay an extra ~$4,000 for a popular build package. If it were possible to find a base model Double Cab, how much would it cost to put an ARB air locker (rear or front/rear) and a good compressor in it? Sure there are other goodies you get in the SR5/TRD packages that comprise the typical build, popular packages - but how much of that stuff do you really need? Then it would have steel wheels and I wouldn't feel bad about tossing the crappy street tires it came with for something better. Don't try to lecture me about how I really need to find an 80 series with the factory lockers. I know it will be a more capable off-road machine for probably 1/3 the price of a new Tacoma. I just really miss having a pickup truck.

Expect to pay around $1,100 for the locker, related equipment and R&P gear setup.

I just really miss having a pickup truck.

If you are going to carry family, get the double cab. The X-cab doesn't cut it when they get past the mini-me stage.

-Mike-

If you are going to carry family, get the double cab. The X-cab doesn't cut it when they get past the mini-me stage.

-Mike-

Been there. I would only consider the Double Cab. I had a '99 XCAB and experienced first-hand the difficulty of fitting kids with car seats into it. That's why I don't have it anymore. The size of the child wasn't the problem. It was the size of the child seat which I hadn't even thought about when I bought it.

I keep waiting for the '01 - '04 DCAB prices to come down to a reasonable level but the demand around here is keeping prices really high. ($18-25K). I could probably swing it if I could get one for ~$14K but I've never seen one for sale in ABQ metro or even within 300 miles for that price unless it has lots of miles and has been abused.

I could probably swing it if I could get one for ~$14K ...

$14K puts you the built rig territory if you picked up a nice u-know-what and added a few goodies.

-Mike-

I know. Thanks for not lecturing me on you-know-what. Financing a $14K vehicle that is 5 years old is easier to do than coming up with $8K cash for a 10-15 year old FZJ80 and another $6K for goodies.

I know. Thanks for not lecturing me on you-know-what. Financing a $14K vehicle that is 5 years old is easier to do than coming up with $8K cash for a 10-15 year old FZJ80 and another $6K for goodies.

You 'll have to forgive Mike, he really can't help himself.

Sounds like you've done your homework with the numbers, Marc. Loan companies don't like to write paper on vehicles older than 5 or 6 years...unless you agree to a huge interest rate. I once financed an 8 year old car (with a loan that I intended to pay off within a few months) and the interest rate was something like 21%. It's a lot to bite off especially adding in the cost of expected repairs and any goodies.

I'd say go with David's thoughts...get a slightly driven Taco TRD with the options you want. I had a friend that did just that and got a same-year model TRD with a locker for around 20-21k. If I remember right the truck had less than 7k miles on it!

I'm running the Toyota locker on the 4Runner and an ARB on the 40. I like both set ups and have not had any trouble with either. The Toyota locker is nice because you don't have to worry about air supply and it is stock. The ARB is nice because you get an air source that could be used for other things like tires. Also the ARB you can use in 2H, 4H & 4L. The Toyota locker installed by the factory can only work in 4L. Of course there is a hack to get around this and use the stock locker at any time.

All that said...if the many possibilities of an air supply is not a concern then I would go with the Toyota locker because it's already in the truck! More time for wheel'n.:bounce:

Some cheaper ARB compressor options...I got a unit on ebay for $15 shipped.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/caddy_comp/

http://robinhood4x4.com/compressors.htm

Toyota locker install
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/electric_locker/

Marc,

Realistically, I don't see you wheeling a new to you DC Taco that hard so why worry about adding lockers to it at this early stage? Even if you do decide to bash it on rocks and lock it up then just go with the rear one until you can recoup the funds. If you're going to have OBA then might as well skip the ARB air compressors and go with something else that's more reasonable. I've been seeing decently priced aftermarket air compressors <$100 that will run a locker just fine all day. Yes, you'll have to come up with your own switch (perhaps use a OEM switch ) and pressure switch wiring but that's cake walk for a technical dude like you!

Of course, there is the other option which is an auto locker like an Aussie (spell) locker for $300 (guessing). With a long wheel base, this shouldn't be an issue on the drive ability or drive train components.

But all of this is moot until you find your dream Taco!

Cheers,

Ali

Thanks for the thoughts, even you Mike.

I've financed 3 used and 1 new vehicle in the last 10 years.

I guess I'm confused whether you are asking why I specifically would finance a used vehicle or you are speaking more generally wondering why anybody would finance a used vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom