engine oil leak from where? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What I thought was a rear main seal leak, I'm not sure.
I've cleaned up the area. The clutch was dry, but everything around was damp but not drippy.
All the drippy was on the outside.
Once clean and started, oil started to seep out from between the bell housing and the engine, left side straight back from the oil pressure sending unit. Hopefully the photo shows it.
I don't see any sign of a leaky valve cover gasket.
What do yall think?
engine leak.jpg

Oil galley plug...

Remove the flywheel housing and you will see this plug in the end of the engine block....

Might as well post this old pic again.....The oil galley plug is about 10 O'clock and the cam plug is about 2 O'clock.

GL

Ed
Swapin'motors 005.jpg

Thanks Ed man....

I was trying to find that and could not remember where it was!

:beer:

Oil galley expansion plug is at the eleven o’clock position.

Thank you, Ed and Steve. It helps, though I still need to dive in and do the rear main and clutch kit while I'm there. Oh, well. I'm just dreading the pulling of the trans/transfer.
My main worry now is the removal of the shifter. I know I've been reading about it, but still not feeling sure.

thanks!
jim

Thank you, Ed and Steve. It helps, though I still need to dive in and do the rear main and clutch kit while I'm there. Oh, well. I'm just dreading the pulling of the trans/transfer.
My main worry now is the removal of the shifter. I know I've been reading about it, but still not feeling sure.

thanks!
jim

Jim, I made my own "SST" out of some exhaust tubing. I don't have a picture on this computer, but I'll post one when I get home. It makes the job much easier. I've done it with two large flat blade screwdrivers, waterpump pliers and anything else that fits. Evidently after you push down on the ring, some turn left to release and others turn right, so if it does not go one way, try the other.
Mine turned clockwise to release.

Ed

It's not that hard. I have two shifters with different strength springs. Maybe one is just older. The easy one is easy, but even the stiffer one I can pull out with just my thumbs. Gloves help some.

Before you put it back in, make sure you file down any previous damage from home made tools. It will go in much easier.

Here is my "SST";)
Squashed a piece of tubing in a vice until it was the right width to catch the flats
33's 001.jpg
33's 002.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom