Yamaha Blaster Top End (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
I am the orig owner of a 1992 Yamaha Blaster. I have ridden the machine a lot since 92, and I have never done a top end. I know that it must be about time to get it done. The machine runs fine, and usually starts on the second or third kick, however I know that it should be done. Well the local bike shop just went out of buss, so now I am stuck. How do I do this job? How hard is it? What might it cost? Do I have to bore the cyl? Any advice, tips, instructions, etc? Any 2 stroke experts out there?

Thanks,
Zack

You think that's strange? My buddy has an '86 250R with the original top end. It still runs like new.

Pull the cylinder. The piston is held on with clips on either side of the wrist pin. It's very easy. I can't imagine a rebuild kit being more than $100 for one of those.

Depends on the inner case. typically it is just a rering and piston. If the bore has been coated or not, I don't know..

Pull plastic
Pull carb
Pull exhaust
Unbolt head

Pull cylinder

replace the piston

follow directions backwards after looking up the torque numbers for tightening the bolts..

Which is why I reccomended putting a big bore into it. That way, even if the cylinder is hashed, there is no more work, you just replace the cylinder...

If it's running why rebuild it? Just curious...

Well on a 2 stroke, I am sure that I am on borrowed time. I know that if the top end goes you will cause a lot more damage. I have been told that it is just normail maintainance on a 2 stroke.

Zack

Don't mess with it unless you have to.

The machine runs fine, and usually starts on the second or third kick, however I know that it should be done. Thanks,
Zack

Who told you it should be done? Most people who have to rebuild thier top end do to a lack of lubrication.

They ran it out of oil, ran crappy oil, forgot to mix thier oil, the oil injection quite working, etc.

On a 2 stroke it is normal after a certain # of hours.. But it is more of a performance thing and not a "the head is gonna fail" thing.

big bore kit big bore kit..

Say it with me ;)

I know a buddy of mine that has been clocked on one of those doing 79mph on the hwy by the cops. I took it out the night after on the hwy and maxed it out.

I had to write in when I saw top end. sorry. I used to have one but never worked on it. It was always in the shop. I sold it for hardly anything and I hear that guy today feels like he got ripped off. I went away from the racing atv and bought a big heavy polaris 425 magnum 4x4 that has not been in the shop, which is a 95.

All I can say is that my 92 Blaster has been amazing!

Zack

No big bore kit

Don't do a big bore kit. Just replace rings and piston. Probably like 100 bucks. It's no big deal, just tear into it.

The reason to not do a big bore kit is simple. If you want something faster, buy something faster. They are generally not worth the extra $$$$$$$$

I just sold my Banshee a few months ago. I've had a banshee for almost ten years. I still love the two strokes.

JR

Don't do a big bore kit. Just replace rings and piston. Probably like 100 bucks. It's no big deal, just tear into it.

The reason to not do a big bore kit is simple. If you want something faster, buy something faster. They are generally not worth the extra $$$$$$$$

I just sold my Banshee a few months ago. I've had a banshee for almost ten years. I still love the two strokes.

JR
I had one of each till last fall.

The blaster was still a hoot even compared to the banshee.. completly different rides..

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom