remove exhaust and intake manifold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
I am finally finding time to push forward with replacing my exhaust. I am removing the manifolds to have them milled, as well as to gain access to a sheared off exhaust pipe stud.

That being said, I have removed the carb, EGR and Gulp valve. I have also removed the 4 nuts that hold the manifolds on to the block. In the picture I have circled two of them.

Should this thing pull right off? I don't know how long it has been since it was last off the block, but I am having trouble getting it off and have only used a rubber mallet to whack it a few times to try and free it up. No luck.

any suggestions? I am so close to getting this thing off and being able to drive this rig!
CU exhaust manifold copy.jpg

How many nuts/fasteners have you removed? I count 8 if you include the bolts on the ends.

Ed
2F 001.jpg

so is it safe to assume there are 4 above and 2 at the end and 2 below? I think my ends aren't there...so that may leave 2 more below... any tricks to getting to these?

Socket and extension. I run a header, but in my case I put the socket on the nut then attach the extension and ratchet. The socket will not fit between the intake and the header.......IIRC. The ends are used with a header and certain manifolds, but many exhaust manifolds do not have a provision for fasteners at the ends, maybe just later ones?

Ed

Ed's a studly kinda guy.

Likes to show his studs.

Ed's a studly kinda guy.

Likes to show his studs.

I offer to show my studs all the time, but the number of takers is dwindling:frown:

ed

Ok. So thanks to the studly diagram I have removed the 2 remaining nuts underneath the intake manifold. Now I was trying to get the manifold assembly off, but I have one final pipe running from the cooler to the intake. Anyone know what size the connection is? seems to be bigger then anything i've got other than channel locks, and I don't want to strip it.

it is #2, #27 on this page, and mine is assembled the way the inset is next to the pipe diagram (2 ends both screw in instead of connecting via a flange of sorts.

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat047.tam?xax=16423&page.ctx=cat047.tam

so can anyone advise?

Fast Eddy,

My assembly doesn't have a #12. it has another 27 on the veritcal connection... i was curious if anyone knew the size of it... or if the manifolds could comea part with it still attached?

Try an impact "wobble" socket.

1/2 inch snap on version will run you about 45 bucks and is a pleasure to use even if you don't have an impact gun (yet). Matco is cheaper but Snap-On is better (I have both).

-Stumbaugh

Just remove the bolts holding the EGR cooler to the block and remove the entire manifold assembly as a unit. If you need to fool with the EGR plumbing, you can do it with the manifold out so that you have room to work on it.

1974 had a different attachment to the exhaust manifold than depicted in the SOR diagram. I think it is a 23mm nut or something. At the least, use a large crescent wrench.

Take a ruler and measure it, most cruiser bolts/nuts in that range varied by 2mm increments.

Do you really need an EGR?

I'm using studs, they are still available from toyota for a few bucks a peace...

new-header-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom