WTB: FJ40 in Nor CAL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi All,

Looking for an FJ40 for around $5k. I have no welding experience but I'm fairly good with a wrench. Goal is to eventually build it up into a nice off road rig!

Thanks in advance,
Roman

i have a 61 fj40 for sale in northern ca; stockton. very clean body and frame, chevy 383 small block, newish soft top and doors. $4500/obo/trades. still has the CA black plates on it. one of the earliest running fj40s in the usa!:grinpimp:
404sale.jpg

Thanks orangefj. I was hoping to get something with the stock inline 6. Thanks again!

sure thing.

if you plan on wheeling the cruiser and driving it up to the hills then you might want to re-consider your engine choice. the V8 will definetly get you up there faster.

same fuel economy
same torque
twice the horse power
less weight

I hear what you're saying. I'm just starting to wheel and I figured I'd be breaking more stuff if I had a V8.

yup, a kind right foot will be your friend.:)

from what i've read and heard, with a good V8 one needs to be a good driver. i figure you get the fj stuck and start gassing it up, drive shafts bend and break as well as other tranny and body parts. so i was looking to build around the inline 6.

actually what I would like to do is build up a nice fj which can be used off road ie(Rubicon) but also be used for road trips to the mountains (Cascades, Sierras) to remote sites for camping, fishing, and exploring.

you might want to do some more research. driving style determines breakage or lack thereof. having a V8 does'nt have much to do with that.

drive shafts normally don't fail and neither does the transmission or any body parts.

the parts that might fail would be the birfs due to too much torque being applied at extreme angles or possibly a rear pinion due to too much axle wrap. a stock 6 cylinder engine has more than enough power to cause either of these to fail. it's not an issue related to the "power of a V8" by any stretch of the imagination.

driving a 6 banger cruiser up to tahoe (rubicon) or anywhere else in the sierras will make for a long, slow trip. you'll be in 2nd gear a lot, sometimes in top gear but that's a rare occasion.

i'm not trying to convince you to buy my cruiser. what i am saying is that you should really do a little more research before buying a vehicle. try to keep an open mind and don't believe everything you read. talk to a few people who own and drive their rigs under the same conditions you plan to do. that should give you some great input.

best of luck.:)

georg

Not to hijack the thread at all, but that 40 would be a darn nice rig for what it sounds like youre looking for, Romanski. I contacted orangefj45 on this rig, Id love to have it. Only problem is Im trying to sell a Ford Falcon to make room for a rig, and I cant get the thing to find a new home. Id take this rig in a heartbeat! :cool:

hey thanks guys! i've been researching the FJ for a little while and really like the history behind the truck and what it can do. then i drove a couple and now i'm hooked.

hey thanks guys! i've been researching the FJ for a little while and really like the history behind the truck and what it can do. then i drove a couple and now i'm hooked.

well, then this is your chance to won a piece of history cause it's on of the three or four earliest fj40s in the USA. it's a 1961 with a really early vin. so judging by the info we've been able to come up with utilizing this board and others this is definetly one of the oldest fj40s around.:cool:

I think the shipping would be a killer for me, otherwise I would have to think hard about something I could sway for that little beauty.

Very Nice Rig

stock three speed and t-case. but they seem to be later model units from a 70-72 cause they're both factory floor shift models.

hey roman. never heard back from you as per our phone conversation?!:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom