front fender packing fj55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
got in a front fender for "Rusty" and can see remanents of a sealing? strip does anyone in the group have experience replacing the front fender packing?; $OR #s113-17
PACKING FENDER-1968-7/80 FJ55(Discontinued-No longer available

also was there any strip between the upper and lower fenders?
called C-Dan and also got discontinued, Lance and C-net not aware of this strip :confused:

Lou

That's why I shouldn't take anything apart...the little things drive me nuts, and take forever!
Mabe a strip of closed cell foam tape from the hardware store?? I've never had my fenders apart...

"Rusty was a failed restoration project and came w/o any fenders at all.........wondering though if the foam tape might retain moisture and start thr rust worm over again :(

Lou

I would use a strip of rubber. Old inner tube or something like that.

RE:packing

I would go to A VW, Yes I said VW restoration shop or check on line for the packing. My father had purchased some and they sell it by the foot. It is rubber and will need to have holes punched so you can bolt everything back togeather.

Hope this helps
Chance

my guess is its probably the same weather stripping that went b/w the fenders and tub at the firewall? I seem to recall stripping where you are asking off the top of my head, can't remember for sure though..

I JUST took mine apart Monday. There is no rubber between the upper and lower fender. I know that because mine is rusted together and currently sitting with a crap load of PB Blaster on it to get them apart for rust repair.

There is a rubber strip about 1/8 inch thick by 1 inch or so (the width of the lip) at the attachment point for the top fender (just under the hood). Inner tube would work well there. I am going to POR-15 them both to prevent future rust then use a rubber material of some sort.

There is a foam strip on the vent baffle thingy to keep the air going into the cabin. It was crumbling as we pulled the fender off and I am going to remove the rest of the adhesive, POR-15 it, then add a rubber stripping like you put around your doors to keep drafts out.

There is also a foam strip running perpindicular to the ground on the cross piece where the fenders sit up against it when attached (this is the piece that went b/w the fenders and tub at the firewall). It is not the same as what is at the top of the fender. Again, I am going to remove the adhesive remains, POR-15 it, and put door weatherstripping there. I can take some photos tonight and post them up if you want.

Pics would be great Heather. I am working on my front fenders now also.

I thought about you as I was pulling mine off. It went pretty easy and nothing stripped out, so I was fortunate.

One question though related to the fenders...was anyone's spot welded at the top under the hood towards the winshield? Mine was and we had to break the welds to get the darn things off.

checked the vintage VW site and they have a fender beading strip that goes between the body and fenders on a VW bug BUT then there is a bead going along the junction guess it could be reversed in a pig so it wouldnt show............was considering the use of a bead of body sealer.............just a bit concerned about it trapping moisture and starting the entire rust process over again............this seems to be a real problem area on our pigs...........the junction between upper and lower front fenders :( ..............yep..........definitely 100% with Heather's POR treatment................but then what to do?..........have a gut feeling that there will be some kind of rubbing between the two metal surfaces that over time will wear off the POR between the upper and lower fenders unless something is placed in between!

checked the vintage VW site and they have a fender beading strip that goes between the body and fenders on a VW bug BUT then there is a bead going along the junction guess it could be reversed in a pig so it wouldnt show............was considering the use of a bead of body sealer.............just a bit concerned about it trapping moisture and starting the entire rust process over again............this seems to be a real problem area on our pigs...........the junction between upper and lower front fenders :( ..............yep..........definitely 100% with Heather's POR treatment................but then what to do?..........have a gut feeling that there will be some kind of rubbing between the two metal surfaces that over time will wear off the POR between the upper and lower fenders unless something is placed in between!

That area on my pig wasn't rusted at all, so I am not overly concerned about it rusting now. I do agree that the pieces will rub and probably rattle without some cushion. If you go the sealer route, you could use POR PATCH. That's what I am going to reseal seams with on mine. Also going to use it for the drip channel. But I wonder how flexible it will be? You'll need something that can flex and not crack.

thinking best to do the POR 15 prep then the VW bead strip reversed with a bead/layer of POR patch in between...............anti corrosion with the strip to prevent rubbing ............any comments from more experienced members??..............expensive but then again Ehsan and Lomussas haven't come out with any replacement fenders although we as a group have been asking them for over a year to deliver!

Lou

I thought about you as I was pulling mine off. It went pretty easy and nothing stripped out, so I was fortunate.

One question though related to the fenders...was anyone's spot welded at the top under the hood towards the winshield? Mine was and we had to break the welds to get the darn things off.
Howdy! My little Piggy did have the spot welds between the upper and lower fender panels. Didn't have any rubber or plastic in between, but it did have joint putty in there. Available at any body shop. John

Pics of Front Fender dissasembly

So here is the first pic...I labeled where things are. If these are huge, I am sorry. :)

fenderdisassembly_01.jpg

Here is the seam sealer forward from the vent and the vent baffle foam sealer:
fenderdisassembly_02.jpg

This is a little rubber piece under the vent baffle that tucks up to where the two fender pieces connect.
fenderdisassembly_03.jpg

Pics of the rubber seal at the attachment point to the truck.
fenderdisassembly_11.jpg

fenderdisassembly_04.jpg

There is another seal...composed of some sort of gooey stuff at the top of (towards the windshield) the rubber seal.
fenderdisassembly_05.jpg

Fender off:

fenderdisassembly_08.jpg

No seal between two fender parts that I can tell as of yet. Might change as inkpot's had body filler in there:

fenderdisassembly_07.jpg

Foam sealer on fender that meets up with upright support (see first pic for location):

fenderdisassembly_09.jpg

Bump stops to be installed after fender to allow hood to rest on them. Two total needed.

fenderdisassembly_12.jpg

I hope this helps!

Great Heather; where did you get the bump stops and exactly where do they go?.............mine are nowhere to be seen<grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr>

Lou

Great Heather; where did you get the bump stops and exactly where do they go?.............mine are nowhere to be seen<grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr>

Lou

They came with the truck. Sorry. But all they are is solid rubber in that shapw with a hole in the middle for a phillips head screw. You could easily make them if they are not available. I can take some measurements for you if you need to go that route.

Here is another angle:

fenderdisassembly_13.jpg

perfect...............can you please tell me what is the number of the screw hole counting from the grill back?.........$OR has them at over 10$ a pop not including shipping :( ........hmmmmm,
might give a try at a rubber block and see how it goes....will let you know...........thanks again Heather:)

Lou

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom