Best CB Radio? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dumb question alert.

Is there a unit that will transmit and receive on the CB and 2M? I realize that a Ham unit has way too much power for the CB, but seems like a minor technical hurdle.

I'm working towards putting some communication gear in my 80, but I've been waffling on CB vs. Ham. I realize that 2M Ham is superior, but at the end of the day you've got a bunch of guys on the CB and a bunch (or a few) on the 2M that can't talk to each other. I don't want to put two different radios in my truck.

Will be taking the ARO test within the next few months, regardless.

Hayes

That isn't a super dumb question, but we have talked about it before. While it may be technically possible to have one radio broadcast on CB frequencies and 2m, it isn't legal to use ham equiptment for CB operation. In my mind, you are stuck with 2 radios for the forseeable future. Install one of those all in the mic CBs if you are worried about too many radios. Many Ham radios can be had with remote mounting kits, so that's another option.

Hayes-I am a big fan of the Uniden 510 and 520 CBs. They will fit perfectly in the ashtray slot of your 80 series assuming you don't smoke and need the ash tray.

There are lots of options for remote mounting ham radios. Have a look at the Yaesu FT8800. THere are many other choices, and many on this board who are far more familiar with radio options than me. Christo Slee had an ICOM dual band remote mounted in his 80 series custom pick up.

Hayes,

I believe your ash tray slot is too small for the Uniden. They fit the 95-97 models with the slightly larger ash tray.

Sorry...

-B-

Hayes,

I believe your ash tray slot is too small for the Uniden. They fit the 95-97 models with the slightly larger ash tray.

Sorry...

-B-

Lots of inadequacies in those 93-94's, huh!:flipoff2:

I'm using a Midland Weathermax 115. I have it mounted in my dash below a Sony CD player in the factory radio spot in my 80. I like this radio a lot as it has weather and it has a PA output. It also can be modified to do SSB and it has Mic Gain controls and some other noise filtering stuff. I use it with a no name mag mount antenna I bought at a truck stop. A few of us have these antennas locally and they are the best $30 I've spent. They tune really easy and the range seems to be great. I've had it for about 5 years with various radios.

I just passed my Amateur Technician class test this Sat. I have an Icom IC28 2M installed below the ash tray and it is wired into the dash speakers. This is an old radio my dad picked up for me for $40. I am running a Wilson 2MTR antenna. It seems to work well. Yesterday I hit a repeater 70 miles or so as the crow flies on only 5 watts.

The Wilson Mag Mount CB antennas are great for wagons. I would recommend them for steel roof Cruisers.

I took the advice from here and I just bought a new Uniden 520 and a lil Wil antenna. I also ordered a new Pioneer head unit to replace the factory radio so I can install them both at the same time.

Magnum 257 is the way to go for a strong small compact radio with a good francis antenna.

Research a Magnum S-680 for AM only or a Magnum S-9 if you want SSB. These are some of the cleanest, best sounding "Export" radios on the market. They are 1o Meter Ham Radios but they are easy to find modified for 11 Meters (CB).

The S-680 puts out 80 Watts PEP. The way they comes setup is perfect with 20 Watts Dead Carrier swinging all the way to 80 Watts Watts PEP. You will be heard with this radio and just as important you will hear them. The receive section is excellent on this rig.

Rich

I would highly recommend a Magnum S-680 or S-9. They sound operate and sound better than the Cobras and pretty much most of the others mentioned here. They have some unique circuitry for great sounding audio with a great receive section as well.

An RCI 2950 or 2970 is also a nice choice.

Rich

No but seriously...anyone know of a small enough CB that would fit in the ash tray hole in a FJ40? would the uniden 520 fit?

The fit problem with the ashtray hole is the depth. The radio sticks way out. It'll work as a niche to keep it from bouncing around the rig, but it's not a decent permanent location.

Mark...

Best CB Radio

Magnum S-680 if you want AM or Magnum S-980 if you want a Sideband Rig. These are some of the best designed, best built, best sounding radios available for 11 Meter operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom