Another perspective on rear storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

619TOY

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, I'm a little ways into my rear storge project and thought I'd do my first report. In many ways mine will be similar to what others have done and hopefully will also be different enough to warrant yet another thread. So, where to start?

First, here are some of the criterea that I used for my design:

1. I want to be able to store as much as possible without building too high (I have two dogs that ride back there).

2. I want to be able to use all the space behind my front seats, however I want the flexibility of two, three or four seats if neccessary. This will require a modular design.

3. I definately want full length drawers behind the middle seats as well as bulk storage with hinged lids for the middle seat areas when no seats are needed (most of the time).

4. I want it to be as strong/industrial as possible so I've decided on Baltic Birch ply and Line-X as well as 500lb. drawer slides.

5. I want to be able to lash down hundreds of pounds so I need to do reinforced cargo hooks on top. Reinforced down to the metal floor.

6. I want to be able to sleep back there so it will be completely flat from the back of the front seats to the tail gate.

Here are some preliminary pics of the rear portion. I've started on the front sections as well but no pics. You'll notice the outline of what will ultimately be a removeable door behind the wheel wells (this will be modified to allow room for rear cargo hooks).
1-17-07 002.jpg
1-17-07 004.jpg
1-17-07 009.jpg

More pics:
2-10-07 001.jpg
2-10-07 003.jpg
2-10-07 005.jpg

Looks awesome!!!

looks like a real nice start, id like to see what you do where the 2nd row is, that is my hesitaion so far till i work out a good plan

looks like a real nice start, id like to see what you do where the 2nd row is, that is my hesitaion so far till i work out a good plan

Like I said, I've already started on that section. It will be bolted down to stock seat bolt holes as well. The two sections have an angled front to allow a little recline of the front seats. They will bolt together if I'm using both of them (for better strength/rigidity) and although I haven't decided on the doors for the top yet, they will probably hinge along the front edge and use the same type of latches as I'm using on the drawers only a little smaller.

Great start so far!! That birch is really pretty. You are going to be lining the entire system with Line-X, inside and out?

Great start so far!! That birch is really pretty. You are going to be lining the entire system with Line-X, inside and out?

I'll be doing all outer surfaces as viewed while closed and the insides of the drawers. It's almost impossible to Line-X everything as the tolerances can't be predicted. I will probably have a carpet mat for the top made as well.

Well I haven't done anything sustantial since Saturday. I'm a little undecided on my cargo hold downs. I cant dial in the top until I come to a decision.

My choices are:

1.Flat plate with pivot ring (flush mount)

2. Aluminum track type (this will require building a structure under the top to support its entire length)

3. Aluminum nubs that use the same rings as the track

4. A threaded and removeable ring. Basically a large nut and bolt type piece that is hollow and sandwiches the top of the platform and allows screwing the ring into it.

Any experience or opinions with/on these?
45849-13-350.jpg
Ancra cargo anchor.jpg

I really like the looks of it. i'm thinking about doing something like this with my 60.
I would think that you will need a way to secure the doors before you worry about the cargo. Door thumping into you back tailgate everytime you take off from a stop sign will drive you crazy way before gear sliding around does.

the latches will keep the drawers from moving, i would use the first option, the flat plate with the ring

I really like the looks of it. i'm thinking about doing something like this with my 60.
I would think that you will need a way to secure the doors before you worry about the cargo. Door thumping into you back tailgate everytime you take off from a stop sign will drive you crazy way before gear sliding around does.
I

I just plan on stuffing some of my underwear between the drawers and the tailgate:D Actually I've got some latches that I really like on there. They're in one of the pics.

beautiful, it's like woodstock, man..

literally wood stock ..

i would use the first option, the flat plate with the ring

That's been my first choice from the start as well. I'm worried it will look too industrial? If the pin can be removed, I can get the plate powdercoated which would look pretty good.

beautiful, it's like woodstock, man..

literally wood stock ..

Thanks, it almost seems a shame to Line-X it. You can get Baltic Birch pre finished too. It really looks good but I've come to like the look and funcionality of Line-X

Is the drawer hight about 7"'?

The opening is about 8" I'm pretty sure. That would make the inside of the drawer 7 1/4".

oh no... the line x with the rubber in it? ever drag your skin across it? ouch. i cant imagine reaching for something deep in there and having to stretch across the line x. what about just staining it? it looks so nice!

oh no... the line x with the rubber in it? ever drag your skin across it? ouch. i cant imagine reaching for something deep in there and having to stretch across the line x. what about just staining it? it looks so nice!

Yeah, that's the stuff. Actually I have alot of experience with Line-X' ed boxes and such. It does have it's shortcomings but it's still the best choice for me. Where I usually go wheeling, the sand granules are a little smaller than BB's and would destroy a nice stained/clearcoated build out. Not to mention the damn dogs:crybaby:

Looks similar to what I'm planning - though I'm not interested in removing the middle seats at this time. Something similar to that first tiedown is what I want to use as well. Where did you find it? And how do you intend to attach the whole thing to the floor - Drill new holes? Remove thge seat hardware and use those holes? Attach to the seat hardware somehow?

Looks like nice work. We recently completed one in birch also - a partial width section to leave room for a future fridge, making a knockdown platform to expand for sleeping room.

Could you tell us the source and PN for that good looking latch? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom