OEM hand throttle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep

GOLD Star
Threads
Been thinking about installing the toyota OEM hand throttle, but I understand some 80s supported it out of the box, some required additional hardware.  So, I ask the local Cruiser gods  :bow:.... What do I look for to determine which I've got?  
dunno.gif

PS, I like the new smileys.  :beer: But the
dunno.gif
one actually posts :dunno:.

Keep, as I understand it you need to see if there is a bracket attached to the gas pedal assembly. Some US 80s came with this bracket that the OEM hand throttle plugs into, some did not. Look under the dash at the gas pedal. If you have a black bracket sticking out from the top of the pedal assembly, you're in luck! Otherwise, I think :bow: Christo might be able to help, so I'd drop him a line.

-H-

Keep

I've got a hand throttle and a digital camera. Let me know if you would like some pics of how it all fits together. It will be tomorrow before I can do anything, but let me know...

Cheers, Jim :beer:

If you do have the bracket it is possible to install the throttle in under 15 minutes.  It was a very simple install and I am glad I got one when I did.  It came in handy while I was winching out a couple weeks back.  

I have mine set to run the motor at 3k RPM in neutral.  It works very well, and my 9 year old battery hasn't started to sputter yet.  Soon I expect that it will die on its own. :cry:  

Next upgrade:   :bow: Optima...

Rogue, one of my friends just picked up a Red Top Optima from one of the Batteries Plus stores for $119. You might want to check the local yellow pages and see if you can find that deal up where you are.

-H-

If I had $119 I would look into it. I am a poor college kid. Maybe this summer I will get a job and get some more goodies.

The whole winch ordeal set me back quite a bit and I am now needing a loan to pay for this coming term.

Anyone want to help another Cruiserhead? :tear:

Just ordered the hand throttle. Thank you for the assistance gents.

Keep, I think I'm following your lead shortly. Rogue, c'mon man, sell some plasma or collect aluminum cans from the next party....You're becoming the educated part of society; figure something out! :D :eek:

Believe in yourself, you can do it!

-H-

(We need the Jester smiley....Woody?)

H,

Both of those options don't work for me. My plasma is no good and I don't party. :-[

Donations please? :tear:

Actually I'm nothing more than a poor high school kid, but I may be able to get you a slightly used red top for nothing more than shipping.... A friend of mine accidentally broke one of the top posts off, you can just buy some aux posts to screw in the side and use those. If you pay shipping I'll check with him to get it. Where are you?

Crusin,

Shipping would be a bear as batteries are considered hazardous materials and require special handling to be shipped safely and legally...It would cost more than the price of a new battery to ship it.......Unless you cheated....don't get caught, the fines would blow your mind....

Regards.. Dan :beer:

My hand throttle is busted, wont hold the RPM...anyone have one to sell me?

Blast from the past ;)

I've got one but in Aus, swap for anything that covers post so we both come out whole.

My hand throttle is busted, wont hold the RPM...anyone have one to sell me?

Blast from the past ;)

Is it busted, or is it just loose? Mine got loose from tons of use. I idle up every time I air up. Anyway, it should be tight in the dash. You may need to grab the exposed metal flange and tighten the nut on the back of the dash. You should be able to push down on the gas pedal to get the idle speed you want then pull out easily on the knob until you feel it hit the end of the slack. Hold it there and turn the knob about 1/4 turn clockwise to lock it in position. When I bought my 80, the cable was so tight that I did not know/need to turn the knob to cam lock it. Duh. So after I used it a bunch it got pretty loose, so I had to figure it out.

If you do have the bracket it is possible to install the throttle in under 15 minutes. It was a very simple install and I am glad I got one when I did. It came in handy while I was winching out a couple weeks back.

I have mine set to run the motor at 3k RPM in neutral. It works very well, and my 9 year old battery hasn't started to sputter yet. Soon I expect that it will die on its own. :cry:

Next upgrade: :bow: Optima...

The OEM had throttle is infinitely adjustable from 0 to way faster that I have ever set it: 4000 rpm. I have never seen one that has a fixed set speed.

Just ordered the hand throttle. Thank you for the assistance gents.

The only thing needed other than the throttle is the proper gas pedal. It has a little bracket off the top to fasten the hand throttle to.

Is it busted, or is it just loose? Mine got loose from tons of use. I idle up every time I air up. Anyway, it should be tight in the dash. You may need to grab the exposed metal flange and tighten the nut on the back of the dash. You should be able to push down on the gas pedal to get the idle speed you want then pull out easily on the knob until you feel it hit the end of the slack. Hold it there and turn the knob about 1/4 turn clockwise to lock it in position. When I bought my 80, the cable was so tight that I did not know/need to turn the knob to cam lock it. Duh. So after I used it a bunch it got pretty loose, so I had to figure it out.

I need to check it again but I remember plastic busted off on back side...I can pull it out and turn it to right but it wont hold the RPM, just goes back to idle...

The only thing needed other than the throttle is the proper gas pedal. It has a little bracket off the top to fasten the hand throttle to.
You know you're replying to a 15 year old post, right?

Also, I thought all the gas pedals had the bracket. Mine did, and several others I've seen. :meh:

I need to check it again but I remember plastic busted off on back side...I can pull it out and turn it to right but it wont hold the RPM, just goes back to idle...
Did it ever work for you? Mine locks by twisting it clockwise after pulling it to set the RPM.

Edit- never mind, I see that you know that. If you need one, there's a few posts about where to find the unit, and they're cheap AF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom