P.Steering Pump Kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ATTN: Kevinmrowland- came home last night and found 3 great 60 manuals waiting for me to read!

Next project! My leaky power steering pump. I've read the stickys on swapping in a used pump from a ford truck but i'm sticking with stock pump. After reading the manual, what exactly is the problem here? Basically, I've noticed 3 o-rings that might be causing this problem. 1-reservoir o-ring to pump mount 2-front housing o-ring 3-rear housing o-ring. Is there a rebuild kit for this?
DSC00001.JPG
DSC00002.JPG

Don't forget the oil seal and the flow control o-rings (3), also the internal o-ring behind the rear plate.

Dynosoar :zilla:

When i rebuilt mine it was the front oil seal leaking.

But worth it just to build it and not have it take out the air pump.

There is a rebuild kit from Toyota.

Like the man said, front seal

You'll may need a puller to get the pulley off & replace the front seal, which is 99.99% where the leak is. I wouldn't even mess with any of the the o-rings. They seldom leak because there's no movement. The reservoir o-ring is easy & they can seep or weep & the ones on the fitting are easy to get to, so if you insist, do those. Overall, a pretty easy job. I bought aftermarket kits for mine, twice. If it's been run a lot with no or low fluid, it will work but howl like a mofo, so you may find it's easier to get a good used one & reseal it - that's why I bought two kits! :cool:

Hey, I just fixed the leak on mine and it was the front seal. If you don't need a kit then just get the seal toyota sells them seperate for about eight bucks. Just some thoughts. Ben..

ATTN: Kevinmrowland- came home last night and found 3 great 60 manuals waiting for me to read!

Next project! My leaky power steering pump. I've read the stickys on swapping in a used pump from a ford truck but i'm sticking with stock pump. After reading the manual, what exactly is the problem here? Basically, I've noticed 3 o-rings that might be causing this problem. 1-reservoir o-ring to pump mount 2-front housing o-ring 3-rear housing o-ring. Is there a rebuild kit for this?

Uh...unless you have a non-US vehicle, you're looking at the diagram for the wrong pump! Look deeper into the manual (page SR-49 in mine) and you'll find a diagram and procedure for the USA power steering pump.

a ghetto rebuild

I had to do an emergency fix on a road trip-- I took my pump off, cleaned it up with some carb cleaner (not penetrant--you don't want residue) and hit every seam and seal (external-I didn't take the pump apart) I could find with JB weld. It is still holding 20K and 3 years later, since I can't seem to find time to actually rebuild it. of course, I'd have to start with a new pump....:)
ps. my pump was NOT making noise other than the brief period that it was nearly empty, so this may not work for you...

The problem is the front bushing on the OEM pump. It is small, and it has no provision for pressure lubrication.

The PO will see the belt tensioner bolt on the alternator and tighten that until the belt is tuned to a G sharp (twang). That pulls sideways on the PS pulley and cause the pump shaft to eat the front bushing. Eventually there is enough sideways deflection of the shaft that it is no longer centered in the seal. Then the seal leaks.

The problem is there is no off the shelf bushing replacement for the pump, AFAIK. So rebuilding and replacing the front seal is often a temporary fix.

Uh...unless you have a non-US vehicle, you're looking at the diagram for the wrong pump! Look deeper into the manual (page SR-49 in mine) and you'll find a diagram and procedure for the USA power steering pump.

Thanks, I was wondering what the hell he was looking at!

The problem is the front bushing on the OEM pump. It is small, and it has no provision for pressure lubrication.

The PO will see the belt tensioner bolt on the alternator and tighten that until the belt is tuned to a G sharp (twang). That pulls sideways on the PS pulley and cause the pump shaft to eat the front bushing. Eventually there is enough sideways deflection of the shaft that it is no longer centered in the seal. Then the seal leaks.

The problem is there is no off the shelf bushing replacement for the pump, AFAIK. So rebuilding and replacing the front seal is often a temporary fix.

Thanks for this Jim. I had my PS pump rebuilt by the outfit in Florida but she leaked pretty well when I got it hot in Moab (aired down 33's, running tight, twisty corners in sand). Got me thinking about adding a cooler...

I met a guy in Moab this year who had a contact for the bushing, I will be ordering up soon, I can let you all know how it goes.

I feel like my PS pump is working harder, getting hotter after adding 4 degree shims. Has anyone had to add a cooler for the PS pump after shimming the front end?

I bought a power steering pump rebuild kit from Cruiser Dan. It cost around $38.00 or so and it took about 35 minutes to clean the pump and install the kit from start to finish. This did not include the 2 hours it took to remove and replace. I only had two little "O" ings left over.

Will you post up the US PS pump picture? I am looking at the flow control valve specifically...

Jim, any tips about removing the front bushing? I tried pounding it out with the bushing I wanted to replace it with. I used a wood block and hammer, but could not get the orig bushing to budge!

ford PS pumps are absolute garbage.

If you do swap the unit out for a different one, go chevy..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom