isuzu 4BD1T swap?! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

orangefj45

Supporting Vendor
Threads
has anybody one here used one of these engines in a swap?

Hi Georg,
There was a link posted a while back to a site that discussed swaps using this engine. i'll see if I can find it. If I recall correctly the engine redlines at 3k, but has a very driveable power curve. The trouble has always been the elusive SAE adaptor and I believe the truck must be lifted to clear the oil pan like a cummins motor.

thanks david! my buddy sully emailed me the same link yesterday. this particular engine has an auto behind it so the adapter won't be a problem. comes with it! and we all know that i dig autos the most..... :cool:

This swap keeps coming up time and time again! Please, someone do it and document it so that I have some one's example to follow.

I have a 4BD1T and a 4BD2T that I am considering swapping into my FJ62 after I finish my SOA (might be a while at my speed). The 4BD1T's came in Isuzu NPR trucks from '86 to '91. They were turboed but not intercooled and were rated at 121 hp @ 3000 rpm and 232 ft-lb @ 1800 rpm. They use an in-line mechanically-controlled injection pump and are direct-injected. The 4BD2T is basically the same block as the 4BD1T but the head configuration is changed to indirect injection. The 4BD2T's came in Isuzu NPR trucks (also re-badged as Chevy and GMC) from '92 to '97. They were rated @ 135 hp @ 2800 rpm and 255 ft-lbs @ 1900 rpm. The 4BD2Ts were intercooled in addition to turboed and I suspect the intercooler was primarily responsible for the increase in hp and torque.

The latter (4HE1TC) engines increased displacement from 3.9 to 4.8 liters, went to an overhead cam configuration and went to electronic controls on the injection. They also swapped the intake and exhaust sides of the engine so they are opposite to that of a LC. These engines were rated at 142 hp for manual transmission models and 175 hp for the automatics.

My understanding is that the bell housings are not interchangeable between the 4BD and the 4HE series engines.

I've been following the various threads discussing installing these engines in LCs but have not come across anyone who has actually done one, although some claim that it had been done. No one seems to dispute that this might be a great swap.

Most people seem to want to mate the Isuzu engine to a LC transmission or to another transmission for which there are adapters to LC TC (ie NV4500). I would like to consider using the stock Isuzu manual 5-speed and mating it to the LC TC, possibly using the Toybox as an adapter. Not at all sure if this is feasible.

The MSA5D 5-speed fully synchro manual transmission that comes with a 4BD1T has a 5.67 1st gear and 5th gear is 1:1 (no OD). Everyone that I know that has experience with these transmissions say they are bullet-proof.

The down side of using the Isuzu transmission is 1) mating the output to a LC TC, 2) setting up a means of shifting as these are not top-shifted but rather use a series of external rods and levers to connect the transmission to the shift lever.

I'd love to see someone undertake this swap project and post their experiences here.

i'd like to see this swap too. Astar, the diesel isuzu trucks that you can get this motor from, where do you find them. i dont think ive seen any in canada. although i have seen lots of bighorn diesels in New Zealand(trooper variant). Which engine adapter are you refering too? you say nv4500. what will work to use h55 transmission do you think? also they sound like a good power. i would be scared to throw in a heavy torque monster like cummins 12 valve. also since you have a couple of these could you post a couple pics for the rest of us.
i think one day we'll convince someone to take on this project.

The MSA5D 5-speed fully synchro manual transmission that comes with a 4BD1T has a 5.67 1st gear and 5th gear is 1:1 (no OD). Everyone that I know that has experience with these transmissions say they are bullet-proof.

The down side of using the Isuzu transmission is 1) mating the output to a LC TC, 2) setting up a means of shifting as these are not top-shifted but rather use a series of external rods and levers to connect the transmission to the shift lever.

I'd love to see someone undertake this swap project and post their experiences here.

These engines also come in 4wd NPR. THe Isuzu t.case has the front drive shaftto the right like a LC and the rear, from memory,slightly to the right.
Lengthwise its similar to a LC.
Now it might be a pain procuring one in the US but would save some work further down the track;)

sorry what does the abreviation NPR mean?
if the engine+transmission+t-case fit and are on the proper side then the obstacles are getting the wierd side mounted shifter through the floor and fabbing up new mounts and crossmembers?

here is the link:

http://www.isuzudieselswapper.com/

You may have checked it out but I haven't found a better source of info.

I have been following this for some time now, I would love to do a NPR engine swap (NPR is the model name of the cabover trucks they came in). I talked to a guy in California who has one, there is a picture in trails of him doing a vehicle tug of war with a unimog from a past Rubithon.. He was an older guy, 2-3" lift, siad he drove it all over, Colorado etc. He was somewhere near Sacramento. Anyway, with isuzudieselswappers.com that is a huge assett. Again I would love to see someone take this on.. I am going to try to dig up all of the old posts and info and photos I have of this and post in the thread about them on 4BTswaps.com to keep all of the information in one place.. I never knew the 2Ts were indirect injected, I had heard from several people that they preferred the 1Ts which you could probably intercool? Here is the link to the thread on 4BTswaps..
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?p=104

to get back to one of the earlier posts; the engine i'm looking at has a decal on the valve cover. it states build date 12/88 and Hp rating of 126. definetly looks a little smaller than the 4BT.

Anyway, with isuzudieselswappers.com that is a huge assett.

David (of isuzudieselswappers.com) uses an unusual approach. On the 4BDxx engines, there are two sections to the bell housing - the engine section that attaches to the engine block and extends back a ways past the flywheel. This section also provides the mount for the starter. Both the Isuzu automatic and manual transmissions attach to the back of this "engine section" of the bell housing. David attaches his adapter plate to the back of the engine section also and then the GM transmission bolts to his adapter plate. He drills and taps the flywheel to which he mounts an adapter to which the GM flexplate attaches as his adapter was originally designed for an automatic transmission. The end result is that you have both the flywheel and torque converter if you use an automatic transmission or two flywheel, the Isuzu and the GM, one behind the other if you go with a manual transmission setup - a rather novel approach!

I never knew the 2Ts were indirect injected, I had heard from several people that they preferred the 1Ts which you could probably intercool?
I've never pulled the head on a 2T but pictures that I have seen show a removeable precombustion cup in the head and the piston is essentially flat whereas the 1T has a significant combustion pocket in the top of the piston but the head is flat.

As far as the intercooling, the turbo setup on the 1T and the 2T appear to be identical except that on the 2T the output of the turbo is routed forward and through the intercooler which is mounted in front of the radiator then back to the intake whereas on the 1T the turbo output is routed via a 2" pipe directly to the intake.

These engines also come in 4wd NPR. THe Isuzu t.case has the front drive shaftto the right like a LC and the rear, from memory,slightly to the right.
Lengthwise its similar to a LC.
Now it might be a pain procuring one in the US but would save some work further down the track;)

There were never any 4wd NPR's imported into the US. Using the NPR 4wd trany w/TC could be a great approach, especially if both the front and rear output shaft were offset like a LC. Any idea where I can find more info? Next time I'm in Costa Rica, I will check to see if 4wd NPR's were available there.

i'd like to see this swap too. Astar, the diesel isuzu trucks that you can get this motor from, where do you find them. i dont think ive seen any in canada. although i have seen lots of bighorn diesels in New Zealand(trooper variant). Which engine adapter are you refering too? you say nv4500. what will work to use h55 transmission do you think? also they sound like a good power. i would be scared to throw in a heavy torque monster like cummins 12 valve. also since you have a couple of these could you post a couple pics for the rest of us.
i think one day we'll convince someone to take on this project.

I found a couple of NPR's on ebay for around $800 each. Both had engine issues but that doesn't really concern me as I plan on rebuilding them. For around $1500 you can get a complete overhaul kit including new piston, liners, bearings, valves, valve springs, valve guides, retainers, valve seats, gaskets and new oil pump. Essentially, you have a new engine.

Regarding the NV4500 - someone makes an adapter to connect this transmission to the LC TC. I don't remeber who.

Regarding pictures - I plan to pull the 4BD1T out of the NPR in the near future. Once I do, I'll take some pictures. I'm not sure that i know how to post them but I'll try. I'll also get some exact measurements and weights

There were never any 4wd NPR's imported into the US. Using the NPR 4wd trany w/TC could be a great approach, especially if both the front and rear output shaft were offset like a LC. Any idea where I can find more info? Next time I'm in Costa Rica, I will check to see if 4wd NPR's were available there.

I found a couple of NPR's on ebay for around $800 each. Both had engine issues but that doesn't really concern me as I plan on rebuilding them. For around $1500 you can get a complete overhaul kit including new piston, liners, bearings, valves, valve springs, valve guides, retainers, valve seats, gaskets and new oil pump. Essentially, you have a new engine.

Regarding the NV4500 - someone makes an adapter to connect this transmission to the LC TC. I don't remeber who.

Regarding pictures - I plan to pull the 4BD1T out of the NPR in the near future. Once I do, I'll take some pictures. I'm not sure that i know how to post them but I'll try. I'll also get some exact measurements and weights

I believe its Advanced Adapters is it not?

I cannot wait to see this swap!!!

thanks david! my buddy sully emailed me the same link yesterday. this particular engine has an auto behind it so the adapter won't be a problem. comes with it! and we all know that i dig autos the most..... :cool:

If you are planning to use the Isuzu auto, how were you planning to connect it to the LC drivetrain?

Have just bought myself an 88 Izuzu Npr Engine, Head has been re-done. All trinkets are included. Starter, Alternator etc. etc.
Am going to be installing it in a 76Fj40 as soon as I have stripped the bottom end of the block down.
I Think I am going to start a new thread in the 40 section, Because really I am building what in my opinion is an expedition truck. But the first part will be the engine transplant and running gear.
I will post here when I strt the thread. And keep looking back here to watch for any tips

i love i sue you:D (isuzu) i would not hesitate on owning another on.we sold our 02 because we are both going to collage now.that little sucker never let us down and would crawl up a dam tree if you needed it to.

Have just bought myself an 88 Izuzu Npr Engine, Head has been re-done. All trinkets are included. Starter, Alternator etc. etc.
Am going to be installing it in a 76Fj40 as soon as I have stripped the bottom end of the block down.
I Think I am going to start a new thread in the 40 section, Because really I am building what in my opinion is an expedition truck. But the first part will be the engine transplant and running gear.
I will post here when I strt the thread. And keep looking back here to watch for any tips

I am very excited to see this as I am comtemplating a similar idea!! What tranny are you going to use??

Have just bought myself an 88 Izuzu Npr Engine, ..........I will post here when I strt the thread. And keep looking back here to watch for any tips

Great to hear! I've got a 1988 Isuzu FSM. I would be willing to scan the engine and other relevant sections and email them to you if that would help.

I would suggest that you post your engine progress here in the Diesel Section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom