Holidays Wheelin? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now that this is all outta da way, where are we going on Thursday? :D :bounce:

Michael thinks between 4WP, Discount, and Desert Rat, someone ought to have a 315/75x16 MTR by Wednesday afternoon...

Now that this is all outta da way, where are we going on Thursday? :D :bounce:

Michael thinks between 4WP, Discount, and Desert Rat, someone ought to have a 315/75x16 MTR by Wednesday afternoon...

My wife would like to join me on a run and if she had a choice it would be on Saturday. It would be great if we could do something relatively close or get off the trail early (say around 4) that day. 'Close' is north, either east or west. That's my vote. I believe I got implied permission to go wheeling Thursday, since I asked her which of the three days (Thursday, Saturday, or Sunday) she'd prefer to go, and she didn't ask me WTF I thought I was doing on Thursday. :D So, with that in mind, I have no input on where to go Thursday.

Just for clarification, I'm not trying to demand anything for Saturday, this is just my input. Take it or leave it.

I assume we're joining the C-Gap run Sunday?

As for the tire, Discount should be able to scrounge one up in one of it's stores. They will usually call around and get one from another store if you're willing to wait a few hours or overnight. How are DR's prices? I've never considered them as I figured they'd be high.

-Spike

Update: After explaining the C-Gap run to the wife, and that Alvin and family would be on that run, she might join me for it. She's not sure, as there's a possibility of a NYE party and other variables. We can only take the child on one run as it would be cruel to strap her to a seat for 10+ hours two days in a row. Bottom line is: make whatever plans that are convenient for Thursday and Saturday and she will decide which run she'd like to go on. In other words, I now have absolutely no input whatsoever. :D

-Spike

I'm considering a Thursday run - maybe the telegraph canyon starting in Superior and coming out in FJ to either do Martinez or Coke Ovens - just a thought...

And wow - just broke 400 posts in 6 months - man, I gotta get a life...

Shoots is right about the other canyon being a fun, tight for a 80 IMO.
Here is a picture of the bling mobile coming down the ledge, it cleared it at that time.
And yes Sean they are 37 SSR in the picture.
MVC-841F.JPG

Shoots is right about the other canyon being a fun, tight for a 80 IMO.
Here is a picture of the bling mobile coming down the ledge, it cleared it at that time.
And yes Sean they are 37 SSR in the picture.

The rock to the right looks familiar, but the V notch and hill behind it apppear a lot steeper now.

I'm considering a Thursday run - maybe the telegraph canyon starting in Superior and coming out in FJ to either do Martinez or Coke Ovens - just a thought...

And wow - just broke 400 posts in 6 months - man, I gotta get a life...

That's a nice run...real scenic. Branden (BMAN) and I ran that one weekend looking for a back route into Martinez...and we decided to exit through Telegraph coming out at the Apache Tears mine.

The rock to the right looks familiar, but the V notch and hill behind it apppear a lot steeper now.

I think it's just the angle of the pic.....you'd have to be standing much farther to the right when taking the picture to see up into the V notch where it goes vertical.

Sean

PS. Thanks Spike for making the new thread.....definitely more appropriate. Sorry for getting off track here.

Tire situation on the K5 addressed; new bumper for the '40 obtained but not mounted (yet... :D ). Wheeling status for Thursday upgraded from maybe to definite. Trail selection undecided as of yet. :cool:

That's a nice run...real scenic. Branden (BMAN) and I ran that one weekend looking for a back route into Martinez...and we decided to exit through Telegraph coming out at the Apache Tears mine.

John's right on that one. A beatuiful run with no mentionable challenge between Superior and Ajax mine. I ran that trail from Ajax mine to Superior about 3 months ago with my brother and my daughter. It was a blast and my daughter had a great time hunting for Apache tears at the mine.

What are "Apache Tears"? - obviously some kind of rock, but...

So what's the plan for Thursday? Are some people still going out and if so, what trail(s) do you guys plan to do?

Sean

What are "Apache Tears"? - obviously some kind of rock, but...

A black obsidian rock that is somewhat transparent...I call it the black version of rose quartz, which I think is the rock it's usually found in. if you throw them in a rock tumbler they will polish up and be like looking through black glass.

Raw form:

HGATL.jpg

And all polished up:

IMGA4659.JPG

So what's the plan for Thursday? Are some people still going out...

Yes. The bumper situation on the '40 has resulted in some issues, but that should be resolved by tomorrow nite.

... what trail(s) do you guys plan to do?
Sean

Can't you ask some easier questions? :D

How about this: as Carl suggested earlier, we drive in via Telegraph Canyon; this comes out at Ajax mine. So that would allow for some rockcrawling opportunities in Ajax for those so inclined, whereas others just drive the dirt road or have lunch. We come out at Mineral Mountain road and U.S. 60, where one of us could drive you back up the 8 or so miles of Hwy. 60 to collect your tow rig at the entrance of Telegraph while the others watch the buggy at Mineral Mountain road while they're airing up.

Last edited:
Looks like it might rain on the trails Wednesday and Thurdsay morning.

-Spike

-Spike

The desert is beautiful in the rain - but the rox do get mite slippery...

Thanks for the geology info - since it is a really local thing, I was ignorant on the topic (no suprise:rolleyes: )

-Spike

Chance of rain 30%, that would be good, less dust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom