Rent or buy Engine Hoist? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking into doing a rebuild on my 2F and deciding what I want to do for an engine hoist.

Should I buy one? I have seen used ones on craigslist.org for like $75 - 2 ton with load leveler.

Should I rent one? What does it cost to rent one for a day? I could buy an engine stand and rent the hoist twice.

How big is appropriate? My old man rented a hoist for his FJ40 and said the hoist was too small for his F engine and was a pain to work with.

I would say if you have the room and think you will be doing anything engine wise in the future buy one...They are big and kind of a pain in the ass to store but I have used mine more than a few times for other heavy lifting and amm glad I have it....

buy it,if you have to throw a cover over it and stuff it in the back yard.75 bucks is cheap,or hell resale after your done

yes they are big, but mine breaks down in 10 minutes, I just store it standing up in the corner.

BUY ONE

Physical size is the biggest consideration for your hoist. I keep my 2 ton hoist adjusted to the 1/2 ton position 99.999% of the time. Plenty of lifting capacity and more reach that way. It is also a "full size" hoist. A lot of them that you find in the pep boys type parts stores, or the cheap tool stores/pawn shops are about 3/4 size. Same on Ebay and mail order places. These are fine for pulling motors on riceers and lowriders, but it's easy to run out of lift when you'r pulling a motor and tranny/Tcase assembly out of a Cruiser. Especially if it is lifted at all.

I'd recommend actually seeing the hoist in person before buying. If that's not an option, the smaler hoists will usually work okay on the non and slightly l;ifted rigs, but they are pretty much maxed out at that. Don't get one to use on an SOA '60.
I don't hardly ever use my cherry picker style hoist any more. I have a wheeled, "swingset" style frame w/chain hoist. Only rated at a ton but it will lift the hook over 10 feet in the air. I can actually push a (stockish) FJ40 under it's own engine after I pull it out. ;)

Mark...

You could borrow mine, it is just sitting folded up in my garage. I am in Louisville/Boulder. I pulled my motor/tcase/tranny at once with 4" lift and 35's. It is the full sized version.

PM if you want to use it.

Rezarf <><

Last edited:
I have had a 2 ton cheapy lift for my sports cars for years...but getting the engine out of my 2.5" OME lifted cruiser , really tight!!! However...can't say that the lifts I have rented where any better!

I would go for the "borrow one from a friend" option. Sometimes the friends come with them to help use it. :)

Just be sure to return it with a 12-pack for payment.

Definately borrow one if you can. I have a large 2 ton non-folding one in my shop that sits idle most of the time taking up valuable floor space. Nice to have when you need it, but in the way most of the time.

Let me know bud.

I too would hate to have it live outside... these things have a way of walking away.

Rezarf <><

If you are doing any significant fabrication such as axle swaps, suspension builds, etc, they are invaluable as 'shop cranes.' I used to have my uncle's since he didn't have the space, but then I moved so I gave it back. I really miss having it around. It was so convenient being able to pick up an axle with a few pumps of the jack, swing it around into position and ease into place. What used to be a 2-3 guy job wrestling with a fully assembled axle to get it in place is now a one man operation.

Ary

I don't hardly ever use my cherry picker style hoist any more. I have a wheeled, "swingset" style frame w/chain hoist. Only rated at a ton but it will lift the hook over 10 feet in the air. I can actually push a (stockish) FJ40 under it's own engine after I pull it out. ;)

Mark...

Sounds like you have a Gantry Crane....

I'm with Ary on this. I bought one 6 months ago-a folding model, and I use it all the time. Literally in the last week, I used it to remove bumper + Winch (225lbs) by myself, and used it to set my FJ40 frame on the axles. It is a huge asset to the garage and I'm not sure how I got by without it. I got a full size folding model for about $150, and replaced the cheap hardware with grade 8 bolts. The ram is replacable as well-I cross that when I come to it. You need one, or a friend that is close and owns a folding one. I think with the ram all the way down, it could be stored outside if needed and you don't mind some surface rust.

Change of mind

After hearing recommendations on using it for axles and such, I will definitely proceed with finding a folding unit. Since I will be doing a frame up, I don't want to have to borrow, return, borrow, return. It sounds like it can be very handy.

If someone has a crane in the Denver area and wants to sell it, let me know.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom